There are 204 users in the forums

*****OFFICIAL NFL COMBINE SITE******

Originally posted by ninertico:
I can't say thank you enough...and like most, I wait for your posts so that I can become more informed. Honest insight into the draft process is a luxury that we have here on the Zone. This is all because of people such as yourself willing to share such valuable pieces of info.

Correct me if I am wrong please, but it seems like most teama, such as the 49ers, already have their boards drawn out with slight adjustments due to interviews and medical information within the Combine. Is that the case?

Another thing, I want to see how all the potential DE/OLBs handle the drills especially the dropping back for passes one. I remember Anthony Spencer doing well and one other that I can't remember last year and look where he went. If Harvey does well at those drills and he keeps his weight at around 250, will he be considered for a 4-3 team or will he drop as a result to a 3-4 team or will teams just pick him and ask him to bulk up to a larger weight?

The other position I will have my eye on is the WR. I want to see these "Slot" guys work out especially Avery, Douglas, Royal, and Jackson all of whom should be on our radar. I am sure they will become a hotter commodity as a result of Wes Walker's performance this year. Will that possibly increase their chances to move up the boards?

It seems like we don't have many 3-4 DE available as we do NTs. Could Pat Sims be able to play 3-4 DE and NT and if so, would he be worth that #29? Are there others who could play both positions giving us some incredible versatility on our 3-4 line?

Thanks again, MD, you da man!

Go 49ers!

Most teams are looking at the combine to solidify their boards. The forty can impact players if their numbers jump off the page either way, and the same goes for the shuttle and cone drills. However, most teams have a ballpark idea how most guys will run already.

The juniors are the ones who make the biggest movement for scouts and coaches. While the Senior post-season games allow a lot of interaction for scouts and coaches, the combine is the first post-season exposure by juniors. They have the most to gain, or lose.

Spencer did look solid at the combine last year in dropping into coverage in LB drills, and that helped him move into the late first round. If Harvey appears as a 250 pounder, he better show some skills as a LB, since that will be his targeted position. If he comes in at 260 or more, the focus will probably be at DE.

The slot receivers should be fascinating to watch. It is wide open, and the beauty will be in the eye of the beholder. While the juniors dominate the wideout position, the seniors rule the slot.

I'll be taking a long look at Sims this weekend, as will many scouts. He is a guy everyone is curious to examine, and expectations are pretty high.
UPDATE:

Malcolm Kelly win not run at the combine. Another twist and turn. This is one reason why I have already begun to drop him a few slots on the board from this past week.

Kelly will not run
  • NinerScout
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
UPDATE:

Malcolm Kelly win not run at the combine. Another twist and turn. This is one reason why I have already begun to drop him a few slots on the board from this past week.

Kelly will not run

Man, I was reading that DeSean Jackson has a lot to lose if he doesn't run a good 40-time. Being a Cal fan, I hope he runs a blazing 40-time and does well in the shuttle runs.
Originally posted by NinerScout:
UPDATE:

Kelly will not run

Man, I was reading that DeSean Jackson has a lot to lose if he doesn't run a good 40-time. Being a Cal fan, I hope he runs a blazing 40-time and does well in the shuttle runs.

he's been training with jerry rice in pensacola. that shows a lot of upside. too bad he'll be gone when we pick.
So what's up with this? Isn't it supposed to start today or something?
Originally posted by Smith2Davis:
So what's up with this? Isn't it supposed to start today or something?

The first drills will start saturday with the K, OL, and TEs doing their workouts.
UPDATE:

Hawaii's junior WR Ryan Grice-Mullen has shrunk an inch, to an official combine height of 5'10". He weighed in at 187.

It should be very interesting to hear DeSean Jackson's weight later today. Although speculation is that he was last at a shocking 167 pounds, I've heard he will weigh in at around 172 today. That is still very thin.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 22, 2008 at 8:09 AM ]
UPDATE:

The list of guys bypassing workouts continues to grow, and the guys who promise to step to the plate have a chance to leapfrog up the board.

Glenn Dorsey has been working out at Tom Shaw's facility in Florida, but will reportedly bypass working out at the combine. I have him dropping to the Raiders at number 4 in the draft.

Andre' Woodson needed a strong showing to get back in good standing. He is also going to limit his workouts, and will not throw in Indi. Bad, bad, decision. He's staring at a third round grade right now, by passing on this opportunity. Meanwhile, Flacco gets measured at 6'6 1/2", and will workout....WOW!!!!!!

McFadden is on the fence. I am more convinced that he is going to be on the board with the Jets' pick at number 6.

Doucet will not work out. Lingering doubts about recovering from injuries are going to hurt his stock.

Meanwhile, from all reports: Jake Long and Chris Long will do a full and complete workout. Scouts and coaches love these guys, and I have bumped them to the top of the board. This same determination to compete is what helped Joe Thomas solidify a top 3 pick last year.

Brohm is going to do all the workouts. He's got a lot of doubters, and measuring in under 6'3" today is not going to help him. He needs a banner weekend.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 22, 2008 at 8:22 AM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
UPDATE:

The list of guys bypassing workouts continues to grow, and the guys who promise to step to the plate have a chance to leapfrog up the board.

Glenn Dorsey has been working out at Tom Shaw's facility in Florida, but will reportedly bypass working out at the combine. I have him dropping to the Raiders at number 4 in the draft.

Andre' Woodson needed a strong showing to get back in good standing. He is also going to limit his workouts, and will not throw in Indi. Bad, bad, decision. He's staring at a third round grade right now, by passing on this opportunity. Meanwhile, Flacco gets measured at 6'6 1/2", and will workout....WOW!!!!!!

McFadden is on the fence. I am more convinced that he is going to be on the board with the Jets' pick at number 6.

Doucet will not work out. Lingering doubts about recovering from injuries are going to hurt his stock.

Meanwhile, from all reports: Jake Long and Chris Long will do a full and complete workout. Scouts and coaches love these guys, and I have bumped them to the top of the board. This same determination to compete is what helped Joe Thomas solidify a top 3 pick last year.

Brohm is going to do all the workouts. He's got a lot of doubters, and measuring in under 6'3" today is not going to help him. He needs a banner weekend.

I dunno about size and weights but if sedrick ellis works out at the combine and does very well, do you think he will be rated higher than dorsey by most teams?

it doesnt look good not working out. Woodson is gonna free fall.
UPDATE:

What exactly did Doucet do to his wrist? For him to be skipping everything is getting a little curious.

Originally posted by 49ersfan4life:
UPDATE:

I dunno about size and weights but if sedrick ellis works out at the combine and does very well, do you think he will be rated higher than dorsey by most teams?

Yeah, Ellis dominated the Senior Bowl and should continue to impress. Since Dorsey has had injuries throughout college and Ellis has a clean bill of health, Ellis will be the 1st DT taken.
UPDATE:

I like Ellis, but I believe many board members have a short-term memory on Dorsey. Dorsey was easily the superior player in college, and has, what I call, a three down motor. Ellis takes off plays from time to time, and will need to be subbed more often. Ellis was terrific at the Senior Bowl, there is not doubt, and has closed the gap.

When scouts review tapes, I believe Dorsey will be higher than Ellis. Dorsey's drop on my prediction board from 1 to 4 has more to do with the emergence of both Long boys, who should really stand out as studs (Jake is the talk of the combine so far), and Atlanta's love affair with Matt Ryan, who will probably go number 3. I think Dorsey and Ellis will go back to back to the Raiders and Chiefs, who both desperately need DT help (their run defenses were toward the very bottom of the NFL last season). This moves McFadden down to the Jets at 6.

Scouts and coaches know that Dorsey is a gamer. He was pretty badly injured during the season, but kept going back on the field. They are going to give him a longer leash than many other players who are injured or "injured".
Originally posted by strickac:
UPDATE:

Yeah, Ellis dominated the Senior Bowl and should continue to impress. Since Dorsey has had injuries throughout college and Ellis has a clean bill of health, Ellis will be the 1st DT taken.

If McFadden is there at 6, and I agree he very well could be, then Jerry Jones trigger finger is going to be so itchy he may not be able to help himself.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jerry:
Originally posted by strickac:
UPDATE:

If McFadden is there at 6, and I agree he very well could be, then Jerry Jones trigger finger is going to be so itchy he may not be able to help himself.

it would take a lot to move up that far, new york would have all the leverage in that trade. It would take dallas' 2 first round picks and more
UPDATE:

Colt is on the hamburger parade.

Back to 207, up 22 pounds from one month ago. He also measured in a bit over 6'2", slightly under Brohm. This is a good start to his possible comeback. He will not run the 40.
Share 49ersWebzone