There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*****OFFICIAL NFL COMBINE SITE******

I was trying to schedule a some work with one of our vendors today (I work in an IT department at a hospital) and was told I couldn't schedule any work over the next two weeks. I was a little put off at first so I ask why and "Ryan" told me it was because he would be out of the office for the next two weeks to support the NFL Combine's onsite database servers. The guy basically complained that he was getting stuck with the job and that he didn't even like football. What a b*****d! The guy gets to be at the NFL Combine and is able to watch the action live during his downtime and he would rather be in his office.
  • NinerScout
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Defuego:
I was trying to schedule a some work with one of our vendors today (I work in an IT department at a hospital) and was told I couldn't schedule any work over the next two weeks. I was a little put off at first so I ask why and "Ryan" told me it was because he would be out of the office for the next two weeks to support the NFL Combine's onsite database servers. The guy basically complained that he was getting stuck with the job and that he didn't even like football. What a b*****d! The guy gets to be at the NFL Combine and is able to watch the action live during his downtime and he would rather be in his office.

You can't switch with him? That would be tight if you were able to go...
  • NinerScout
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here are a list of the tests that players will take during this week (some players will elect to bypass some, and do them at their campus workout...wienies):

1) Forty yard dash- Although this is the most discussed number at the combine, also critical are the 10-yard and 20-yard intervals. They test how quickly someone gets off the line. A slow 10 yard time is especially bad for a WR.

2) Vertical leap- The benchmark for studhood is 40".

3) Bench press- Anything more than 30 is a terrific number. Shorter-armed guys have a huge advantage over longer-armed players, so sometimes the numbers are a bit skewed. Some WR's and CB's will lift less than 10, which is not good. And, some offensive linemen will only put up numbers in the low twenties, which also looks bad.

4) Broad jump- Shows explosiveness.

5) 20 yard shuttle and 60 yard shuttle- Running back and forth between two lines, touching them along the way. Shows lateral quickness and explosiveness. Great for DL.

6) 3 Cone Drill- Players run through a series of three cones to show their change of direction skills, and ability to cut on a dime.

7) Wonderlic test- Intelligence test. Shows raw intelligence and the ability to problem solve. 50 is the high score. Anything in the 30's is solid. Frank Gore scored a reported 6, which is scary.

8) Physicals- Team doctors twist knees, joints, to see flexibility, and inspect previously injured areas.

9) Weigh-ins for height and weight.

Here is a sample from last year's combine (One note: the person reversed the broad jump and vertical jump columns)
2007 NFL combine sample

How much weight do these guys have to bench? Does every player bench the same amount of weight or do they differ according to what position the player plays?
Originally posted by NinerScout:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here are a list of the tests that players will take during this week (some players will elect to bypass some, and do them at their campus workout...wienies):

1) Forty yard dash- Although this is the most discussed number at the combine, also critical are the 10-yard and 20-yard intervals. They test how quickly someone gets off the line. A slow 10 yard time is especially bad for a WR.

2) Vertical leap- The benchmark for studhood is 40".

3) Bench press- Anything more than 30 is a terrific number. Shorter-armed guys have a huge advantage over longer-armed players, so sometimes the numbers are a bit skewed. Some WR's and CB's will lift less than 10, which is not good. And, some offensive linemen will only put up numbers in the low twenties, which also looks bad.

4) Broad jump- Shows explosiveness.

5) 20 yard shuttle and 60 yard shuttle- Running back and forth between two lines, touching them along the way. Shows lateral quickness and explosiveness. Great for DL.

6) 3 Cone Drill- Players run through a series of three cones to show their change of direction skills, and ability to cut on a dime.

7) Wonderlic test- Intelligence test. Shows raw intelligence and the ability to problem solve. 50 is the high score. Anything in the 30's is solid. Frank Gore scored a reported 6, which is scary.

8) Physicals- Team doctors twist knees, joints, to see flexibility, and inspect previously injured areas.

9) Weigh-ins for height and weight.

Here is a sample from last year's combine (One note: the person reversed the broad jump and vertical jump columns)
2007 NFL combine sample

How much weight do these guys have to bench? Does every player bench the same amount of weight or do they differ according to what position the player plays?

They all bench 225 for as many reps as possible.
UPDATE:

NFL.com has an excellent combine site this season at
www.nfl.com/combine

The draft is getting bigger and better every year.
They should really add a section for all-time Combine records. Or, even better, a top-10 for each event.
  • NinerScout
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by strickac:
They should really add a section for all-time Combine records. Or, even better, a top-10 for each event.

That would be really sweet.
  • NinerScout
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by NinerScout:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here are a list of the tests that players will take during this week (some players will elect to bypass some, and do them at their campus workout...wienies):

1) Forty yard dash- Although this is the most discussed number at the combine, also critical are the 10-yard and 20-yard intervals. They test how quickly someone gets off the line. A slow 10 yard time is especially bad for a WR.

2) Vertical leap- The benchmark for studhood is 40".

3) Bench press- Anything more than 30 is a terrific number. Shorter-armed guys have a huge advantage over longer-armed players, so sometimes the numbers are a bit skewed. Some WR's and CB's will lift less than 10, which is not good. And, some offensive linemen will only put up numbers in the low twenties, which also looks bad.

4) Broad jump- Shows explosiveness.

5) 20 yard shuttle and 60 yard shuttle- Running back and forth between two lines, touching them along the way. Shows lateral quickness and explosiveness. Great for DL.

6) 3 Cone Drill- Players run through a series of three cones to show their change of direction skills, and ability to cut on a dime.

7) Wonderlic test- Intelligence test. Shows raw intelligence and the ability to problem solve. 50 is the high score. Anything in the 30's is solid. Frank Gore scored a reported 6, which is scary.

8) Physicals- Team doctors twist knees, joints, to see flexibility, and inspect previously injured areas.

9) Weigh-ins for height and weight.

Here is a sample from last year's combine (One note: the person reversed the broad jump and vertical jump columns)
2007 NFL combine sample

How much weight do these guys have to bench? Does every player bench the same amount of weight or do they differ according to what position the player plays?

They all bench 225 for as many reps as possible.

Thanks for the info!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
UPDATE:

NFL.com has an excellent combine site this season at
www.nfl.com/combine

The draft is getting bigger and better every year.


Wow ! That's very cool.
Once again, sorry to be in the bunker much of the last two weeks. It has been difficult to contact some of the guys I know who are tracking draftees, to get pieces of knowledge. Below is a list of ten key things to look for at the combine.

Ten Things to Look for at the Combine

1) How much will Derrick Harvey weigh?
Harvey is an explosive pass rusher, and is currently listed in the low 250's. If he comes in at 260+, I think many GM's and scouts looking for a 4-3 DE will feel better. However, a scout I spoke to last week said that he will be right at his playing weight last season, around 250-252. If this is true, he will need to show the ability to drop into coverage as a 3-4 OLB.

2) Which junior RB will emerge as the guy to become the second RB off the board?
I hate third-hand sources, but from what I've got, Mendenhall is going to run a sub-4.40. If this is true, he is the legitimate number 2 RB in this draft, and will challenge to crack the top 10 picks. Stewart and Jones will also make their bids.

3) Will Limas Sweed run the forty?
A couple of weeks ago, I began to drop Sweed on my Big 255 board, as reports are swirling that he will bypass the forty, ala Dwayne Jarrett in 2007. One of the guys I know from an AFC team said that he believes Sweed will surely pass, and this is going to raise more red flags with his ability to get off the line of scrimmage quickly.

4) Will Brian Brohm throw at the combine?
This is somewhat an unfair question, in that it leaves out Matt Ryan. However, Ryan is considered a top 5 lock, while Brohm could be all over the place in the first round this year, depending on the team. If Brohm throws, and looks sharp, he could secure himself a top 15 pick. However, if attempts to throw, and does not eclipse Henne and Flacco, he could see himself at the bottom of the first round. Scouts were not happy he bailed on the Senior Bowl, and if he avoids throwing at the combine, he could lose millions. He's stuck in a tough position.

5) How will Chris Long look and fare?
It seems like the Hot Tomale for the #1 overall pick right now is Chris Long. Many think he could be the pick with the least risk, and will fit into the Dolphins system.
From what I am hearing, Long is dropping weight, to get to 270, and become a 4-3 DE or jumbo-sized 3-4 Will linebacker. If so, he needs to post a quick forty time, and show an ability to drop into coverage. This week is a multi-million dollar week for Long.

6) What will be the pecking order for this CB class?
There are about 5 CB's in this draft who could be the first off the board: Jenkins, Talib, Rodgers-Cromartie, McKelvin, and Porter. The clocked times in the forty this week could be one major factor that separates one from the others. From media reports, Jenkins is looking very quick in his workouts. From a guy I have spoken to, Porter is going to run right at 4.35. Talib has possibly the most to gain or lose. How will the other guys run? It should be a fascinating week.

7) How will Mario Manningham do in workouts, and more importantly, in interviews?
Everybody knows that Manningham was an outstanding college WR. At the next level, coaches and scouts want to know: Is he is a willing blocker? Will he fit in well with their team and system? Will the diva-esque behavior in college continue in the NFL? He's got a lot of questions to answer in the sit-down interviews, and it should be very interesting to see how he does. Oh, and after all that: he's also got the height/weight/forty time as well.

8) Will Dorsey re-snatch the momentum gained by Ellis at the Senior Bowl?
Many NFL fans have a very short memory span. Glenn Dorsey was the most dominant college player in 2008. However, Sedrick Ellis was virtually unblockable at the Senior Bowl. The focus at the Senior Bowl goes back to Dorsey. However, this may not be resolved this week, as Dorsey is probably going to pass on nearly every event, and wait until his campus workout in mid-March. He's still recovering from injuries this season.

9) Is Malcolm Kelly the real deal?
The current consensus first WR off the board in the draft is Oklahoma junior Malcolm Kelly. However, is he truly the top guy? There is no doubt that he has excellent size, at 6'4", and has outstanding character. However, is he a 4.40 guy, or a 4.50 guy? If he decides to run, millions could be made, or lost, by hundredths of seconds on the clock. If Kelly has a lackluster forty, and average WR workout, the mantel then shifts to DeSean Jackson, who will surely run in the 4.35 or lower range.

10) Could Jerod Mayo bust into the first round?
The ILB class of 2008 is mediocre, at best. Outside of Dan Connor, there is not much to be excited about in the senior class. Junior Curtis Lofton will undoubtably be measured under 6', which is going to drop him on boards. That is not the problem with Jerod Mayo, who will stand around 6'1-6'2. Mayo is fast, very productive, and has excellent character. Mayo could bust right into the latter portion of Round 1 with a solid workout. One guy I have spoken to this week said the Mayo will make a LOT of money at the combine, as one of the more impressive players.

There will be plenty of other stories to follow, but these ten will make a big impact could draft day in two months.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 18, 2008 at 6:33 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Once again, sorry to be in the bunker much of the last two weeks. It has been difficult to contact some of the guys I know who are tracking draftees, to get pieces of knowledge. Below is a list of ten key things to look for at the combine.

Ten Things to Look for at the Combine

1) How much will Derrick Harvey weigh?
Harvey is an explosive pass rusher, and is currently listed in the low 250's. If he comes in at 260+, I think many GM's and scouts looking for a 4-3 DE will feel better. However, a scout I spoke to last week said that he will be right at his playing weight last season, around 250-252. If this is true, he will need to show the ability to drop into coverage as a 3-4 OLB.

2) Which junior RB will emerge as the guy to become the second RB off the board?
I hate third-hand sources, but from what I've got, Mendenhall is going to run a sub-4.40. If this is true, he is the legitimate number 2 RB in this draft, and will challenge to crack the top 10 picks. Stewart and Jones will also make their bids.

3) Will Limas Sweed run the forty?
A couple of weeks ago, I began to drop Sweed on my Big 255 board, as reports are swirling that he will bypass the forty, ala Dwayne Jarrett in 2007. One of the guys I know from an AFC team said that he believes Sweed will surely pass, and this is going to raise more red flags with his ability to get off the line of scrimmage quickly.

4) Will Brian Brohm throw at the combine?
This is somewhat an unfair question, in that it leaves out Matt Ryan. However, Ryan is considered a top 5 lock, while Brohm could be all over the place in the first round this year, depending on the team. If Brohm throws, and looks sharp, he could secure himself a top 15 pick. However, if attempts to throw, and does not eclipse Henne and Flacco, he could see himself at the bottom of the first round. Scouts were not happy he bailed on the Senior Bowl, and if he avoids throwing at the combine, he could lose millions. He's stuck in a tough position.

5) How will Chris Long look and fare?
It seems like the Hot Tomale for the #1 overall pick right now is Chris Long. Many think he could be the pick with the least risk, and will fit into the Dolphins system.
From what I am hearing, Long is dropping weight, to get to 270, and become a 4-3 DE or jumbo-sized 3-4 Will linebacker. If so, he needs to post a quick forty time, and show an ability to drop into coverage. This week is a multi-million dollar week for Long.

6) What will be the pecking order for this CB class?
There are about 5 CB's in this draft who could be the first off the board: Jenkins, Talib, Rodgers-Cromartie, McKelvin, and Porter. The clocked times in the forty this week could be one major factor that separates one from the others. From media reports, Jenkins is looking very quick in his workouts. From a guy I have spoken to, Porter is going to run right at 4.35. Talib has possibly the most to gain or lose. How will the other guys run? It should be a fascinating week.

7) How will Mario Manningham do in workouts, and more importantly, in interviews?
Everybody knows that Manningham was an outstanding college WR. At the next level, coaches and scouts want to know: Is he is a willing blocker? Will he fit in well with their team and system? Will the diva-esque behavior in college continue in the NFL? He's got a lot of questions to answer in the sit-down interviews, and it should be very interesting to see how he does. Oh, and after all that: he's also got the height/weight/forty time as well.

8) Will Dorsey re-snatch the momentum gained by Ellis at the Senior Bowl?
Many NFL fans have a very short memory span. Glenn Dorsey was the most dominant college player in 2008. However, Sedrick Ellis was virtually unblockable at the Senior Bowl. The focus at the Senior Bowl goes back to Dorsey. However, this may not be resolved this week, as Dorsey is probably going to pass on nearly every event, and wait until his campus workout in mid-March. He's still recovering from injuries this season.

9) Is Malcolm Kelly the real deal?
The current consensus first WR off the board in the draft is Oklahoma junior Malcolm Kelly. However, is he truly the top guy? There is no doubt that he has excellent size, at 6'4", and has outstanding character. However, is he a 4.40 guy, or a 4.50 guy? If he decides to run, millions could be made, or lost, by hundredths of seconds on the clock. If Kelly has a lackluster forty, and average WR workout, the mantel then shifts to DeSean Jackson, who will surely run in the 4.35 or lower range.

10) Could Jerod Mayo bust into the first round?
The ILB class of 2008 is mediocre, at best. Outside of Dan Connor, there is not much to be excited about in the senior class. Junior Curtis Lofton will undoubtably be measured under 6', which is going to drop him on boards. That is not the problem with Jerod Mayo, who will stand around 6'1-6'2. Mayo is fast, very productive, and has excellent character. Mayo could bust right into the latter portion of Round 1 with a solid workout. One guy I have spoken to this week said the Mayo will make a LOT of money at the combine, as one of the more impressive players.

There will be plenty of other stories to follow, but these ten will make a big impact could draft day in two months.

Im telling you, the only reason i check out the board everyday in the offseason leading up to the draft is to see if MD has posted anything. Mad props keep it up.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Once again, sorry to be in the bunker much of the last two weeks. It has been difficult to contact some of the guys I know who are tracking draftees, to get pieces of knowledge. Below is a list of ten key things to look for at the combine.

Ten Things to Look for at the Combine

1) How much will Derrick Harvey weigh?
Harvey is an explosive pass rusher, and is currently listed in the low 250's. If he comes in at 260+, I think many GM's and scouts looking for a 4-3 DE will feel better. However, a scout I spoke to last week said that he will be right at his playing weight last season, around 250-252. If this is true, he will need to show the ability to drop into coverage as a 3-4 OLB.

2) Which junior RB will emerge as the guy to become the second RB off the board?
I hate third-hand sources, but from what I've got, Mendenhall is going to run a sub-4.40. If this is true, he is the legitimate number 2 RB in this draft, and will challenge to crack the top 10 picks. Stewart and Jones will also make their bids.

3) Will Limas Sweed run the forty?
A couple of weeks ago, I began to drop Sweed on my Big 255 board, as reports are swirling that he will bypass the forty, ala Dwayne Jarrett in 2007. One of the guys I know from an AFC team said that he believes Sweed will surely pass, and this is going to raise more red flags with his ability to get off the line of scrimmage quickly.

4) Will Brian Brohm throw at the combine?
This is somewhat an unfair question, in that it leaves out Matt Ryan. However, Ryan is considered a top 5 lock, while Brohm could be all over the place in the first round this year, depending on the team. If Brohm throws, and looks sharp, he could secure himself a top 15 pick. However, if attempts to throw, and does not eclipse Henne and Flacco, he could see himself at the bottom of the first round. Scouts were not happy he bailed on the Senior Bowl, and if he avoids throwing at the combine, he could lose millions. He's stuck in a tough position.

5) How will Chris Long look and fare?
It seems like the Hot Tomale for the #1 overall pick right now is Chris Long. Many think he could be the pick with the least risk, and will fit into the Dolphins system.
From what I am hearing, Long is dropping weight, to get to 270, and become a 4-3 DE or jumbo-sized 3-4 Will linebacker. If so, he needs to post a quick forty time, and show an ability to drop into coverage. This week is a multi-million dollar week for Long.

6) What will be the pecking order for this CB class?
There are about 5 CB's in this draft who could be the first off the board: Jenkins, Talib, Rodgers-Cromartie, McKelvin, and Porter. The clocked times in the forty this week could be one major factor that separates one from the others. From media reports, Jenkins is looking very quick in his workouts. From a guy I have spoken to, Porter is going to run right at 4.35. Talib has possibly the most to gain or lose. How will the other guys run? It should be a fascinating week.

7) How will Mario Manningham do in workouts, and more importantly, in interviews?
Everybody knows that Manningham was an outstanding college WR. At the next level, coaches and scouts want to know: Is he is a willing blocker? Will he fit in well with their team and system? Will the diva-esque behavior in college continue in the NFL? He's got a lot of questions to answer in the sit-down interviews, and it should be very interesting to see how he does. Oh, and after all that: he's also got the height/weight/forty time as well.

8) Will Dorsey re-snatch the momentum gained by Ellis at the Senior Bowl?
Many NFL fans have a very short memory span. Glenn Dorsey was the most dominant college player in 2008. However, Sedrick Ellis was virtually unblockable at the Senior Bowl. The focus at the Senior Bowl goes back to Dorsey. However, this may not be resolved this week, as Dorsey is probably going to pass on nearly every event, and wait until his campus workout in mid-March. He's still recovering from injuries this season.

9) Is Malcolm Kelly the real deal?
The current consensus first WR off the board in the draft is Oklahoma junior Malcolm Kelly. However, is he truly the top guy? There is no doubt that he has excellent size, at 6'4", and has outstanding character. However, is he a 4.40 guy, or a 4.50 guy? If he decides to run, millions could be made, or lost, by hundredths of seconds on the clock. If Kelly has a lackluster forty, and average WR workout, the mantel then shifts to DeSean Jackson, who will surely run in the 4.35 or lower range.

10) Could Jerod Mayo bust into the first round?
The ILB class of 2008 is mediocre, at best. Outside of Dan Connor, there is not much to be excited about in the senior class. Junior Curtis Lofton will undoubtably be measured under 6', which is going to drop him on boards. That is not the problem with Jerod Mayo, who will stand around 6'1-6'2. Mayo is fast, very productive, and has excellent character. Mayo could bust right into the latter portion of Round 1 with a solid workout. One guy I have spoken to this week said the Mayo will make a LOT of money at the combine, as one of the more impressive players.

There will be plenty of other stories to follow, but these ten will make a big impact could draft day in two months.

I be following Groves and Hardy very close. I didn't really consider Harvey as an OLB because I thought he'd gain a little weight and be long gone by #29, but now it will be interesting to watch him.

The other wildcard for me, is Bowman. He'll have put on a good show if he plans on getting drafted in the top 50. If he can give scouts some faith in his hands, he'll be fine... we'll see.
I can't say thank you enough...and like most, I wait for your posts so that I can become more informed. Honest insight into the draft process is a luxury that we have here on the Zone. This is all because of people such as yourself willing to share such valuable pieces of info.

Correct me if I am wrong please, but it seems like most teama, such as the 49ers, already have their boards drawn out with slight adjustments due to interviews and medical information within the Combine. Is that the case?

Another thing, I want to see how all the potential DE/OLBs handle the drills especially the dropping back for passes one. I remember Anthony Spencer doing well and one other that I can't remember last year and look where he went. If Harvey does well at those drills and he keeps his weight at around 250, will he be considered for a 4-3 team or will he drop as a result to a 3-4 team or will teams just pick him and ask him to bulk up to a larger weight?

The other position I will have my eye on is the WR. I want to see these "Slot" guys work out especially Avery, Douglas, Royal, and Jackson all of whom should be on our radar. I am sure they will become a hotter commodity as a result of Wes Walker's performance this year. Will that possibly increase their chances to move up the boards?

It seems like we don't have many 3-4 DE available as we do NTs. Could Pat Sims be able to play 3-4 DE and NT and if so, would he be worth that #29? Are there others who could play both positions giving us some incredible versatility on our 3-4 line?

Thanks again, MD, you da man!

Go 49ers!
the off lineman are today right? When do things kick off?
Originally posted by maximill15:
the off lineman are today right? When do things kick off?

The linemen arrive today, and will get weighed and measured tomorrow. Their workouts will be on Saturday.