There are 272 users in the forums

MrCrab 2018 Draft Review: Fan's View

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Shoot if we're gonna analyze college stats then OBJ was a MASSIVE reach cause he avg 3.5 catches and 58 yards per game at LSU. Boy you would have been furious if SF spent the 12th overall pick on him eh?

if potential in the NFL was based on stats Lamar Jackson would have been the #1 pick without question.

Obviously stats aren't the be all end all. OBJ was highly regarded by evaluators and seen as a virtual lock for top 15. His stats were bad because LSU had a terrible QB and they were a running team. So no I wouldn't of been furious if SF took him. I wasn't the one that brought up his stats. Someone was excited about his potential based on his stats and I said that his stats weren't that good.

If any other team gave up a 2nd and 3rd for Pettis would you think that team was smart? Too many start drinking kool-aid once a player becomes a Niner.

Pettis may be good. However we could have gotten 2 good players (maybe even Pettis) by not trading, and IMO there were other more talented players to take when we traded u p.
Originally posted by joey82:
Obviously stats aren't the be all end all. OBJ was highly regarded by evaluators and seen as a virtual lock for top 15. His stats were bad because LSU had a terrible QB and they were a running team. So no I wouldn't of been furious if SF took him. I wasn't the one that brought up his stats. Someone was excited about his potential based on his stats and I said that his stats weren't that good.

If any other team gave up a 2nd and 3rd for Pettis would you think that team was smart? Too many start drinking kool-aid once a player becomes a Niner.

Pettis may be good. However we could have gotten 2 good players (maybe even Pettis) by not trading, and IMO there were other more talented players to take when we traded u p.

BS OBJ was no a lock to go top 15 thoughtout the whole draft process.

Washington ran the ball over 470 times this yr (100+ more running attempts then passing). So I could use that excuse for his stats just as easily.

You think Washington had a great QB? Mettenberger Imo was right on par if not better than Browning. You complained about college stats like it will transition to the NFL. Like I said if that's the case Lamar Jackson should have went #1. SF clearly doesn't think he's good for 3 catches and 40 yards his whole career or they wouldn't have moved up for him lol.

I think Pettis was a top 5 WR in this class (so did Mayock) and if another team had a bottom end 2nd along with 3 3rd round picks, I'd have no problem of with them moving up for a talented WR.

You literally have no idea if they could have gotten him at 59, there's no proof to back that up. All these mock mean zero end of the day, s**t if for entertainment. If he plays well who cares where he was drafted
Maycock ranks 8 WR in his top 5. Regardless the comparison was to Ridley. Where is Pettis ranked above Ridley?

No you said top 5 WR, it says clear as day Pettis WR 5.

The pervious comment talked about Ridley having the same mesuables as Pettis, yet was the top WR drafted (doesn't have to be a big WR to be drafted early) no where did he say Pettis was better then Calvin.

Imo Pettis is Diggs 2.0 and he's ideal for this system and our QB.
The original argument was about people not being upset if we had drafted Ridley instead of Pettis (he wasn't available but that was what the poster said).

Look we can cherry pick college stats of successful NFL players and of busts to make whatever argument we feel like.

Pettis may not have been available at 59, but most people thought that he would have been and if he wasn't we could have still gotten a quality player.

I think the biggest issue is the lack of value that we got. We essentially gave up 2 players for someone who probably won't contribute much (except special teams) the first year. If he turns into an All-Pro we will all look back and praise it as a smart decision, if he ends up as a bust it will just hurt that much more.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
The original argument was about people not being upset if we had drafted Ridley instead of Pettis (he wasn't available but that was what the poster said).

Look we can cherry pick college stats of successful NFL players and of busts to make whatever argument we feel like.

Pettis may not have been available at 59, but most people thought that he would have been and if he wasn't we could have still gotten a quality player.

I think the biggest issue is the lack of value that we got. We essentially gave up 2 players for someone who probably won't contribute much (except special teams) the first year. If he turns into an All-Pro we will all look back and praise it as a smart decision, if he ends up as a bust it will just hurt that much more.

James Washington was available at 59. Not as polushed a route runner as Pettis and dont run full route tree but the ones he does run are solid
The Niners got one full time starter out of this draft in McGlinchey. ONE full time starter for this year out of 9 picks! That blows no matter how you slice it. The Niners aren't a playoff team yet. Warner will eventually start, but it's not guaranteed at this point. Pettis, Moore, Reed and maybe James will make the squad as reserves/special teamers. Street and Thomas may both end up on the practice squad. That is an embarrassing waste of the resources the Niners had.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Apr 30, 2018 at 12:52 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone