There are 170 users in the forums

MrCrab 2018 Draft Review: Fan's View

So, I think it's safe to say that most of us are not too happy with the draft this year. Most of who followed the draft prospects and college teams are pretty familiar who's good and who's not. But many times, we think we know more that the coaches and GMs. Well for this 49ers regime, I'm giving them a benefit of the doubt and so far they have been fairly competent. I believe in Coach Shanahan and specially on GM John Lynch. So here is my draft analysis in a short version

Mcglinchey, OT - Not sexy pick, but needed. Do you remember the carousel of OL last year? Unacceptable for sure. This year, we saw action and this pick was need and with a purpose.

D.Pettis, WR - Most of you don't like this pick, but Garcon is over 30. Seen Pettis play many times in Pac12 and he was always making plays. So pump about this guy. Trained from a pro style offense A proven playmaker both as a receiver and returner. You'll be wearing his jersey soon. Stats: 53 games, 163 Rec, 24 TD, 2256 Yds, 13.8 YPC, 9 punt return for TDS. Doesn't blow us away but does many things. Consistent and stays on the field healthy

F.Warner, OLB - Foster or not, much needed depth in LB. Who's there now? Hmmm, hmm? Exactly. Don't know him much but many good reviews on this guy. Fast and athletic. We need more of this type of player.

T.Moore, S/CB - Potential depth as a future CB. Reports are that his fast, good hips and athletic and can be a CB. Sherman is not young and Moore may take time, 2-3 years to develop. Watch his Youtube highlights and his athletic and hips don't lie. But for now, we could use his speed as a special team player

K.Street, DE - Hmmm, many of us does not like this pick at all having a knee injury. But man, this guy is part of the NCState dominating defense and many good reviews when his healthy. He will be Mitchell's eventual replacement one he finish his contract.

DJ Reed, CB- I like this pick. I know the 49ers want 6 feet and over DB but we need the quick, athletic and instinctive slot corner like Reed to cover those quick small receivers. This will be Kwaun Williams backup. Stats: 24 games, 122 Tkl, 25 PBU, 7 int. Cover guy will ball skills

M.Harris, S- I like this pick too. This will be Jimmie Ward eventual replacement. I like Ward, but can't stay healthy and his salary is too big for his production. For now, special team with speed, athletic and can bring the lumber. Currently, we have Colbert, Tart and Don Jones as Safety. Colbert will start at FS and Tart as SS.

J.Taylor, DT - Add depth to the squad. Since street will redshirt. if this guy show's up, he could make the team. I heard Temple players always plays tough and productive. Also, this guys been injured a lot and didn't' really play an entire season until 2017. Not expecting much from Taylor. It's boom or bust on this pick.

R.James, WR- This WR has well decorated stats and interesting career. Big numbers 244 REC and 23 TD. 3261 Yds and YPC 13.4. Don't know him but he can catch for sure.

Why no Edge rusher? 49ers have 3 former 1st round picks DL and going to try to get pressure from 4. Blitz on passing downs by using safeties and LBs.
Why no Rbs? Williams and Nichols could have potential. Don't need anymore

Hopefully this give you guys a little bit of relief. If not, just remember, we are not there in the meeting rooms. And besides, let's trust the process brick by brick. (From Lynch and Shanahan)

MrCrab49ers
[ Edited by MrCrab49ers on Apr 29, 2018 at 7:27 PM ]
Those stats for Pettis are bad. So he averages 3 catches per game for about 40 yards. That is the potential we should be excited about?

If bears/dolphins/raiders made the same picks for their first 3 picks would we think that they killed it? I get the homerism, but just because we picked them doesn't automatically me it was a good pick and a great player. You want to pump sunshine that is okay, but some of us are more realistic. I can buy the argument that Mcglinchey was need over value but hard to sell that on Pettis especially since he essentially cost a second and a third.

Just because it is Lynch and Shanahan doesn't mean that they are infallible. I remember not to long ago when everyone was calling Baalke a great drafter.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
So, I think it's safe to say that most of us are not too happy with the draft this year. Most of who followed the draft prospects and college teams are pretty familiar who's good and who's not. But many times, we think we know more that the coaches and GMs. Well for this 49ers regime, I'm giving them a benefit of the doubt and so far they have been fairly competent. I believe in Coach Shanahan and specially on GM John Lynch. So here is my draft analysis in a short version

Mcglinchey, OT - Not sexy pick, but needed. Do you remember the carousel of OL last year? Unacceptable for sure. This year, we saw action and this pick was need and with a purpose.

D.Pettis, WR - Most of you don't like this pick, but Garcon is over 30. Seen Pettis play many times in Pac12 and he was always making plays. So pump about this guy. Trained from a pro style offense A proven playmaker both as a receiver and returner. You'll be wearing his jersey soon. Stats: 53 games, 163 Rec, 24 TD, 2256 Yds, 13.8 YPC, 9 punt return for TDS. Doesn't blow us away but does many things. Consistent and stays on the field healthy

F.Warner, OLB - Foster or not, much needed depth in LB. Who's there now? Hmmm, hmm? Exactly. Don't know him much but many good reviews on this guy. Fast and athletic. We need more of this type of player.

T.Moore, S/CB - Potential depth as a future CB. Reports are that his fast, good hips and athletic and can be a CB. Sherman is not young and Moore may take time, 2-3 years to develop. Watch his Youtube highlights and his athletic and hips don't lie. But for now, we could use his speed as a special team player

K.Street, DE - Hmmm, many of us does not like this pick at all having a knee injury. But man, this guy is part of the NCState dominating defense and many good reviews when his healthy. He will be Mitchell's eventual replacement one he finish his contract.

DJ Reed, CB- I like this pick. I know the 49ers want 6 feet and over DB but we need the quick, athletic and instinctive slot corner like Reed to cover those quick small receivers. This will be Kwaun Williams backup. Stats: 24 games, 122 Tkl, 25 PBU, 7 int. Cover guy will ball skills

M.Harris, S- I like this pick too. This will be Jimmie Ward eventual replacement. I like Ward, but can't stay healthy and his salary is too big for his production. For now, special team with speed, athletic and can bring the lumber. Currently, we have Colbert, Tart and Don Jones as Safety. Colbert will start at FS and Tart as SS.

J.Taylor, DT - Add depth to the squad. Since street will redshirt. if this guy show's up, he could make the team. I heard Temple players always plays tough and productive. Also, this guys been injured a lot and didn't' really play an entire season until 2017. Not expecting much from Taylor. It's boom or bust on this pick.

R.James, WR- This WR has well decorated stats and interesting career. Big numbers 244 REC and 23 TD. 3261 Yds and YPC 13.4. Don't know him but he can catch for sure.

Why no Edge rusher? 49ers have 3 former 1st round picks DL and going to try to get pressure from 4. Blitz on passing downs by using safeties and LBs.
Why no Rbs? Williams and Nichols could have potential. Don't need anymore

Hopefully this give you guys a little bit of relief. If not, just remember, we are not there in the meeting rooms. And besides, let's trust the process brick by brick. (From Lynch and Shanahan)

MrCrab49ers

Mcglinchey while not everyone's pick. We could accept this one.

Pettis. Most liked the pick of Pettis just not the need to trade up for him. We literally gave away trent brown to move up to draft Pettis.

Warner- im not even a Warner guy but am ok with this pick as im sure most are.

Moore- this is the one where tbe wheels really start falling off. When tbe guy making tbe pick says they had no film on where the envision him playing.. thats a project. A project used in tbe 3rd round where more sure things could hace been had.

Street- this is a spot where ypu cpuld have doubled down and drafted a real CB in case Moore can't play CB. Best case scenario Moore can and this CB is also groomed by Sherman to be the eventual #3. Hell we need a #3 1st half of tbe seadon anyway.

REED- like the pick. Preferrrd Darius Phillips but can settle foe Reed for sure.

Harris- ok pick. We are/were light at safety. The position makes sense.

J. Taylor- another depth along the DL. You cant tell me a leon Jacobs wouldn't make more sense here or a matthew Thomas. A Bo Scarborough.
Or even an outside CB you didnt take earlier in case Moore cant play CB. *cough* quinton meeks *cough*

Richie James- not mad at the position picked. Even ok with James really. But would have rather a flyer on a small school kid with potential to be great than a small WR to play the slot.
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 29, 2018 at 7:14 PM ]
Are you a big carb guy?
Both you and I are not in film rooms. These guys sleep in the office and watch films all day. All I know, there are 3 WRs I saw most last year. Ridley, Washington and Pettis. But saw Pettis more being in Pac12. Don't know the other WRs. I love Ridley, at 9th, no. I love Roquan Smith but damn Bears got him.
But Pettis, his no awesome but makes plays all the time I've seen him.

This draft has not many awesome players. After 8th pick, that's it.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Are you a big carb guy?

Crab guy? Or Carb?
Are you a big carb guy?

Good catch. Thank you
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
Are you a big carb guy?

Good catch. Thank you

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Good assessment, MrCrab.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Good assessment, MrCrab.

Thank you Mayo. Just being realistic.

Originally posted by joey82:
Those stats for Pettis are bad. So he averages 3 catches per game for about 40 yards. That is the potential we should be excited about?

If bears/dolphins/raiders made the same picks for their first 3 picks would we think that they killed it? I get the homerism, but just because we picked them doesn't automatically me it was a good pick and a great player. You want to pump sunshine that is okay, but some of us are more realistic. I can buy the argument that Mcglinchey was need over value but hard to sell that on Pettis especially since he essentially cost a second and a third.

Just because it is Lynch and Shanahan doesn't mean that they are infallible. I remember not to long ago when everyone was calling Baalke a great drafter.

His last two years tell more of a story:

116 receptions 1583 rec yards 22 TD's. Ok that doesn't bump the numbers as much as I thought, about 5 rec per/gm for around 60yds each, but it improves the numbers, plus Kyle knows WR's so I'll defer to him on this. One things for sure about Pettis is that he needs to add bulk, but he may not be able to do that until the next off-season.

By the way Pettis' size is less of a concern for me when you consider this:

Pettis is 6-1 186 and lets call him player B is 6-1 190 who is player B? Calvin Ridley. It's if we chose Ridley instead I bet at least some of the people complaining about Pettis would be strangely quiet.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 30, 2018 at 12:20 AM ]
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
His last two years tell more of a story:

116 receptions 1583 rec yards 22 TD's. Ok that doesn't bump the numbers as much as I thought, about 5 rec per/gm for around 60yds each, but it improves the numbers, plus Kyle knows WR's so I'll defer to him on this. One things for sure about Pettis is that he needs to add bulk, but he may not be able to do that until the next off-season.

By the way Pettis' size is less of a concern for me when you consider this:

Pettis is 6-1 186 and lets call him player B is 6-1 190 who is player B? Calvin Ridley. It's if we chose Ridley instead I bet at least some of the people complaining about Pettis would be strangely quiet.

I don't think anyone is knocking his size. Almost every college WR will need to add bulk for NFL level. We are knocking his production in college and the massive reach that the Niners made when we traded up for him.

As for your comparison, do you know why people would be quiet if we drafted Ridley instead of Pettis? Ridley was a top 5 WR prospect from pretty much every service that does prospect analysis (top 3 in most). I can't find a single one that has Pettis in the top 5 for WR. Look, no one is perfect and we can say that all of these talent evaluators are wrong and Lynch/Shanny are brilliant and that may be true. If any other team traded a second and third to move into the middle of the second round to draft this guy the vast majority of us would be laughing.

It is done now and all we can do is hope that this guy develops into a stud, but I will be shocked if he makes any meaningful contributions in 2018.
[ Edited by joey82 on Apr 30, 2018 at 6:32 AM ]

Shoot if we're gonna analyze college stats then OBJ was a MASSIVE reach cause he avg 3.5 catches and 58 yards per game at LSU. Boy you would have been furious if SF spent the 12th overall pick on him eh?

if potential in the NFL was based on stats Lamar Jackson would have been the #1 pick without question.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 30, 2018 at 6:48 AM ]
I don't think anyone is knocking his size. Almost every college WR will need to add bulk for NFL level. We are knocking his production in college and the massive reach that the Niners made when we traded up for him.

As for your comparison, do you know why people would be quiet if we drafted Ridley instead of Pettis? Ridley was a top 5 WR prospect from pretty much every service that does prospect analysis (top 3 in most). I can't find a single one that has Pettis in the top 5 for WR. Look, no one is perfect and we can say that all of these talent evaluators are wrong and Lynch/Shanny are brilliant and that may be true. If any other team traded a second and third to move into the middle of the second round to draft this guy the vast majority of us would be laughing.

It is done now and all we can do is hope that this guy develops into a stud, but I will be shocked if he makes any meaningful contributions in 2018.

Good Lord took me one sec to find one of the TOP prospect analysis in Mike Mayock who graded Pettis as a top 5 WR in this draft class.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916367/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 30, 2018 at 6:57 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Good Lord took me one sec to find one of the TOP prospect analysis in Mike Mayock who graded Pettis as a top 5 WR in this draft class.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916367/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings

Maycock ranks 8 WR in his top 5. Regardless the comparison was to Ridley. Where is Pettis ranked above Ridley?
Share 49ersWebzone