LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 304 users in the forums

2018 NFL Draft Official Discussion Thread(NO SPOILERS)

Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
True. But I don't think they're that bad. A healthy Leary. Drafted Sam Jones who could push McGovern. Paradis to me is a serviceable Kilgore type. Could've gone tackle I guess but maybe they're like our 49ers with the pass rush and don't see a problem lol

Agree with your other ones and I'd add Chargers.

I think Elway thinks it's Madden. Lol

Yeah Chargers added talent to a defense already loaded with it!
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by GMniner805:
True. But I don't think they're that bad. A healthy Leary. Drafted Sam Jones who could push McGovern. Paradis to me is a serviceable Kilgore type. Could've gone tackle I guess but maybe they're like our 49ers with the pass rush and don't see a problem lol

He walked away with 4 studs Chubb, Sutton, Freeman and Jewell. The Broncos dominated the draft.

Their points allowedwill be the same as their ppg, around 15.

I'm guessing 12ppg. Less when Keenum gets destroyed.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by GMniner805:

He walked away with 4 studs Chubb, Sutton, Freeman and Jewell. The Broncos dominated the draft.

Their points allowedwill be the same as their ppg, around 15.

Don't like them at all so hope you're right about the offense.

Don't get me wrong I'd trade the entire 49er draft for Chubb. Just thought Nelson was a better fit for them.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by FromDaBay2La:
This draft really went downhill. I don't see why we let another draft go by, loaded with RBs and we failed to take one again. So we really riding with McKinnon and Brenda?! Lol maaan, also we could have used another TE or red zone target.

I like some of the picks, really hate the injured picks, and this DT. The CB from Kansas state seems like a baller, but I think we need some more JUICE on offense

No G, no bigger RB and no bigger WR in a deep draft for those positions. And no ER but that's a tad more understandable b/c there was a big gap after Chubb although we certainly could have used OO at SAM.

Seems like a much better strategy to pick multiple guys from positions of strength. We went the other way. OT, WR were not thought to be deep. No ER. Too many Safeties I think. Waiting to judge but not terribly excited. They must think Williams will contribute next year. Cooper too. Warner looks to be a baller that's one pick outside round 1 that I think will have good impact.

Don't get me wrong I'd trade the entire 49er draft for Chubb. Just thought Nelson was a better fit for them.

Agreed.
The draft is a wrap so I bid everyone here adieu.
So Philly pulled a Jerryd Hayne, I see.
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
We can talk value all day long. I want players that fit what we do on offense and defense. Tackle Orlando Brown is a great value in round 3 but he does not fit what we run. Brown looks like he's running in quick sand when he's playing. I'm going to keep the faith in this front office until they prove me wrong. For years I've heard about what great value Trent Baalke got in the draft. Tank Carradine,Taylor Mays,Marcus Martin,Brandon Thomas,Marcus Lattimore,Quinton Patton and a host of others were great value picks for the 49ers but guess what they all sucked. Brick by Brick!!!

Hammer, meet nail. You hit it directly on the head.

I have no idea how good this draft class will end up being. No one thought Colbert would be starting at FS when we drafted him, but I think it worked out because they drafted him based on how his skill set MIGHT translate to their defense. We'll see how the guys drafted this weekend fit into the team or the roles envisioned for them.

But grading this draft, while it is still in progress, based on your own assessment of value, the assessment of the most recent "Big Board" you googled is asinine. These "Value" picks that people keep screaming about are guys that you are looking at in a vacuum. No consideration is being paid to scheme fit, complementary attributes, or any of the MOUNTAINS of information that the team has that you don't. Again, I don't know how this draft class will perform, but I am enjoying projecting its potential success instead of crying.

Ding ding ding!!

Great post, Karma... You, as usual, are correct, sir!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PacTiger:
The draft is a wrap so I bid everyone here adieu.

Where are you going, Pac?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
1-McGlinchey starts at RT Day One.

2-Pettis gets snaps all over the field on offense, also becomes the main punt returner. Considering that this team had to sign Louis Murphy off the street last season, adding a receiver like Pettis wasn't a bad idea.

3. Warner starts at MLB while Froster serves his suspension, takes over for Malcolm Smith sooner rather than later along with potentially getting some snaps at SAM.

3. Moore gets an opportunity at CB, if that doesn't work out, he is the main backup to Colbert at FS

4. Street. Sounds like he'd be a replacement for Armstead, a guy they have no plan to re-sign next year. Not a fan of this pick.

5. Reed. Replaces Williams in the slot, maybe even as early as Week 1. Could turn out to be the very best pick as he's an incredibly productive, ball-hawking CB.

6. Harris.

7. Taylor. Size/speed prospect. Highly athletic DL that can be coached up and developed into something worthwhile hopefully.

7. James. Gadget player that can contribute on special teams and be utilized out of the backfield and in the slot.

Hey Phoenix... My impression of Harris is that he was brought in to provide competition for the backup SS spot. He is an excellent athlete although he is coming off an injury (about a year ago now) and is somewhat inexperienced. Let us recall that both Tartt and Chanceller James are also coming off injuries. It seems to me that many of the picks this weekend were insurance policy picks. The team was clearly very concerned about having more depth at positions where players are coming off an injury....i.e. WR, OT, SS, FS, CB,....you get the picture.

To many zoners, these picks may seem redundant, but then ask yourselves prior to this draft.... Who is the slot WR / punt returner if T Taylor goes down? Who replaces Garcon and/or Goodwin or if one of them goes down? Who is the slot CB if K Williams goes down? Now, the team has clear depth at key positions...and guys who they know they can count on (i.e. high character, hard working, reliable players). A year ago, the Niners probably only had about 10-12 clear starters. Now, not only are the starters pretty clear, but the backups behind the starters are getting clearer.

Also, like many of you have stated, the guys they drafted this weekend fit their system, are smart and have the aforementioned character traits. This team does its research so they know if some of these "higher rated" players have issues....health, character, psychological, etc.

I know the team still has some holes but in my mind, they also plugged a number of them this past weekend. They could also add some veteran players who get cut, make a trade, etc. They will be OK.

Cheers!
Share 49ersWebzone