LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

Would you be ok with an OG in the first?

Originally posted by BOI49er:
Anybody that thinks Kyle is going to want to out bid 31 other teams for a top guard does not know how Kyle thinks. Same for running back. He and John will have a blueprint for how cap space should be divided. Hell deviate from it for exceptional talent, but only so far. He'll allocate his draft and cap capital to more impact positions like quarterback, edge rushers, offensive tackles, and linebackers. Wide receivers and.defensive backs are a little easier to come by, and athletic smaller interior linemen are typically passed over by other teams and will not be a problem to find.

When you go into a second contract, in effect, you must outbid all 31 other teams. Nelson will have more value to a lot of teams that do not run outside zone than he will to us. We'll keep that money specifically to pay that ER, or OT, or LB.

For this very reason, I do not believe we will draft Nelson, even if he does fall to us.

How do you know how Kyle thinks? He hasn't been a head coach before last year. What data are you basing your hypothesis on? Also, Kyle's MO is that if he wants someone, they pay them as much as it takes to get them, (Ie. Jusczcyk, McKinnon, Richburg, Malcolm Smith, Garçon) even if no one else will. If Nelson is a stud, that can run the outside zone, Kyle will want him to and pay him to stay.
Originally posted by NCommand:
NO! Kyle and John will never pay the second contract for a HOF guard. At nine, you've got to get a ten year player.

LMAO...that's why you wouldn't pick him? How much do you think an ER's second contract would be?

I kinda get what he's saying...every yr there's top OGs available in FA, why? Because you don't need pro bowlers at OG to have an effective offense. They can be found in the draft. Edge rushers no so much (and they're never available in FA).

Perfect example was norwell this yr, dude is a top 3 guard in the NFL yet Carolina let him walk. No way you let a top 3 OT, pass rusher, CB walk in FA (especially at 26 yrs old).
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
How do you know how Kyle thinks? He hasn't been a head coach before last year. What data are you basing your hypothesis on? Also, Kyle's MO is that if he wants someone, they pay them as much as it takes to get them, (Ie. Jusczcyk, McKinnon, Richburg, Malcolm Smith, Garçon) even if no one else will. If Nelson is a stud, that can run the outside zone, Kyle will want him to and pay him to stay.

I mean look at the teams he's been apart of and who they had at guard...look at his father's teams. Look at what he did this past yr and in FA this yr.

If they really valued the position they would have spent some dough on any of the FAs available....they didn't. He did spend a ton on center which is what they did in ATL.

I'm not saying Nelson won't be a niner but I doubt a OG is the pick at 9
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 22, 2018 at 8:12 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd take Nelson, Wynn or Hernandez in the first.
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Plug in Nelson for the next 10 years of pro-bowl play. Yes. Please.

They said the same thing for Jonathan Cooper.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean look at the teams he's been apart of and who they had at guard...look at his father's teams. Look at what he did this past yr and in FA this yr.

If they really valued the position they would have spent some dough on any of the FAs available....they didn't. He did spend a ton on center which is what they did in ATL.

I'm not saying Nelson won't be a niner but I doubt a OG is the pick at 9

NY gets it.
Hernandez in the 1st. Lol

My god
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Apr 22, 2018 at 8:25 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Plug in Nelson for the next 10 years of pro-bowl play. Yes. Please.

They said the same thing for Jonathan Cooper.

Nelson is a breed apart, though. He's a monster.
  • dj43
...only if it is Nelson. I would love that.

I don't see any way they trade down to take a shot at Wynn or Hernandez.

In this passing division, you must stop the opponents passing game. You do that with an ER and high quality LB play that can run with backs out of the backfield. Roquan is the no-brainer pick if available and Nelson is off the board.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Anybody that thinks Kyle is going to want to out bid 31 other teams for a top guard does not know how Kyle thinks. Same for running back. He and John will have a blueprint for how cap space should be divided. Hell deviate from it for exceptional talent, but only so far. He'll allocate his draft and cap capital to more impact positions like quarterback, edge rushers, offensive tackles, and linebackers. Wide receivers and.defensive backs are a little easier to come by, and athletic smaller interior linemen are typically passed over by other teams and will not be a problem to find.

When you go into a second contract, in effect, you must outbid all 31 other teams. Nelson will have more value to a lot of teams that do not run outside zone than he will to us. We'll keep that money specifically to pay that ER, or OT, or LB.

For this very reason, I do not believe we will draft Nelson, even if he does fall to us.

And how do you know how Kyle thinking? Has he ever been in control of a draft?

I'm torn on it. I acknowledge he may be the best player in the draft and he best OG prospect possibly ever.

However, if we can just be better at guard than we were last year without him I'd rather do that and take an impact defender.
Originally posted by fan49:

And how do you know how Kyle thinking? Has he ever been in control of a draft?

Well, it's all opinion, of course, but he has been in charge of a lot of offenses, and his dad a lot of teams and they run very similar offenses, and he's very transparent, and the WCO going back to Bill Walsh days used similar smaller more athletic guards that are not in universal demand and for which you do not have to pay top dollar. I think the history is long and overwhelming, but you are free to hold a different view.
I have a hard time seeing us use a top 10 pick on any offensive player in this draft, but much less an offensive guard.

I see us trading down if that opportunity presents itself.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nastastical:
I have a hard time seeing us use a top 10 pick on any offensive player in this draft, but much less an offensive guard.

I see us trading down if that opportunity presents itself.

Yeah, but if Nelson falls to #9, you've got to take him.
We have to get lucky to get Nelson at 9 or if he's available at 7 or 8 do we move up?
Share 49ersWebzone