LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 197 users in the forums

Big Mac's Pass rusher cut up series

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
I love this although you're lumping them into one pass rush bucket.

How would you rank them by best scheme fit?

Strong-side DE (Big End) - Bradley Chubb
Weak-side (Elephant) - Harold Landry
SAM LB/ER - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Nickel-only ER - Uchenna Nwosu
Agree, I'd love BigMac to do that kind of breakdown!
Top notch post!!
Originally posted by Giedi:

Originally posted by Giedi:

Seems like Nwosu is the better base SAM than Oko.
Thanks Mac, love this! Obo would be just about the only edge rusher I'd feel good about if we don't take Landry

I did it based on get us off the field on passing downs, but sure I will.

I'll start by saying that Chubb is the best Leo, as he's the best pass rusher, if somehow I had Chubb & Landry, Chubb plays Leo, he could also play some big end or slide inside on passing downs.

Year 1 I only see the following cracking our base D

Leo

1. Chubb
2. Ejiofor
3. Landry (and it's a stretch)
4. Davenport

Sam

1. Nwosu
2. Obo
3 Landry
After some development and if they improve

Leo

1. Chubb
2. Landry
3. Davenport
4. Turay
5. Holland
6. Sweat
7. Obo
8. Ejiofor

Sam

1. Obo
2. Nwosu
3. Landry
4. Holland

Big end
1. Hubbard
2. Chubb

Key goes to #2 at Leo, #1 at Sam if he somehow puts it all together.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Thx biggie. How about Lorenzo Carter and Marquise Haynes.

Marquise Haynes, great burst and get off when he times it, lacks nuance to his moves or proper plan, tends to jab his hands straight forward and then not have anywhere to go, I think he's a better athlete than a pass rusher.
  • napo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I have either watched cut ups (nearly all plays with focused player highlighted) or condensed games of the following pass rushers, this system isn't perfect as it does miss out some plays, and you don't get the feel of the flow of the game. I've done a write up on most of each on their pages, so I'm just going to give nuggets here and attempt to rank them.

#1 and it isn't close, Bradley Chubb, he somehow gets dinged because he isn't super quick, but his get off is amazing for his size, and is the only rusher in this class that can win consistently in different ways, moves, hustle, speed, strength, hands

#2 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, plays with his hair on fire, great variety in his moves, elite get off and can bend, needs to work on his balance, drew more holding calls than anyone.

#3 Harold Landry the best get off of them all, his bend is amazing, but it's his abilty to keep speed and strength while doing it that makes him special. Best upside of the lot but he lacked variety and a plan in his rushes.

#4 Jeff Holland Hands, hands, hands, while everyone else uses them after Tackles have locked on, he uses them actively to stop them getting to him at all. Unbelievable football player, average athelete

#5 Duke Ejiofor, has the most variety of moves in the class, though that can count against him as his rip and swim are much better than his spin, get off is very good for his size, even if he lacks the burst of others above.

#6 Kemoko Turay, has a great get off and hand usage, strong and violent with deceptive burst and bend, had the same shoulder injury as Brown, should be good to go though.

#7 Marcus Davenport, strong, powerful, raw, get off is poor which is a shame as he does have a burst, bull rush is great, but that's practically all he has, needs major work but we know the potential pay off.

#8 Josh Sweat, get off is awful for someone as supposedly athletic, lets tackles set and then tries to run around them, hand usage is inconsistent, he does flash some bend and power so has some potential.

#9 Uchenna Nwosu, the energizer bunny, never stops, great get off and stronger than he looks, but he lacks pass rush nuance, like the worst of Landrry and Obo combined. Bonus of projecting great on base downs.

#10 Sam Hubbard, unbelievable motor, active hands and wins with effort, but has an average get, poor closing burst and balance, really wanted to like him more.

Unranked enigma, Arden Key at his height he would be #2 on this list, has one wow play every game that few others could do, but then disappears entirely, no idea what his deal is.

Great. But you also have to mention off field concerns in any evaluation of Key. Esp after the Foster fiasco.
Originally posted by napo:
Great. But you also have to mention off field concerns in any evaluation of Key. Esp after the Foster fiasco.

Yeah, but trying to keep it to what I saw on the field, to be fair the off field stuff probably effected his play, which led to him being the unranked enigma!

I'll start by saying that Chubb is the best Leo, as he's the best pass rusher, if somehow I had Chubb & Landry, Chubb plays Leo, he could also play some big end or slide inside on passing downs.

Leo

1. Chubb
2. Ejiofor
4. Davenport

Sam

1. Nwosu
2. Obo
3 Landry

Do you project Ejiofor to eventually move inside? On the outside, he seems more slippery than athletic.

I agree with Obo and Landry. In this scheme, IMO they kind of start off as tweeners. They only make the move to LEO if they convert more of that speed to power.

Leo

1. Chubb
2. Ejiofor
4. Davenport

Sam

1. Nwosu
2. Obo
3 Landry

Got it. Thanks for your work and insight!

Key goes to #2 at Leo, #1 at Sam if he somehow puts it all together.

Wow. I'm okay taking a flier on him, it's just gotta be later in the draft (not 1.9, nor 2.59). Which means we may not get him.
Thanks BigMac for taking the time and giving us a great detailed layout. Gives me a little more hope if we pass on an Edge in the 1st or 2nd. If we pass on Landry or OO I hope we take a flyer on either/both Holland and Haynes later. I really think Haynes can excel at SAM in a couple years with professional coaching and training. Holland makes every play a dog-fight.
Originally posted by zonkers:
Do you project Ejiofor to eventually move inside? On the outside, he seems more slippery than athletic.

I agree with Obo and Landry. In this scheme, IMO they kind of start off as tweeners. They only make the move to LEO if they convert more of that speed to power.

Maybe Ejiofor can slide inside on passing downs, he'll probably appeal more to traditional 4-3 teams, as you're right about the athleticism.

Obviously you want an athletic pass rusher, but if I had to choose I'd rather get a pass rusher and hope he's athletic enough. Than get an athlete and hope he can become a pass rusher.
Share 49ersWebzone