LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 200 users in the forums

Big Mac's Pass rusher cut up series

I have either watched cut ups (nearly all plays with focused player highlighted) or condensed games of the following pass rushers, this system isn't perfect as it does miss out some plays, and you don't get the feel of the flow of the game. I've done a write up on most of each on their pages, so I'm just going to give nuggets here and attempt to rank them.

#1 and it isn't close, Bradley Chubb, he somehow gets dinged because he isn't super quick, but his get off is amazing for his size, and is the only rusher in this class that can win consistently in different ways, moves, hustle, speed, strength, hands

#2 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, plays with his hair on fire, great variety in his moves, elite get off and can bend, needs to work on his balance, drew more holding calls than anyone.

#3 Harold Landry the best get off of them all, his bend is amazing, but it's his abilty to keep speed and strength while doing it that makes him special. Best upside of the lot but he lacked variety and a plan in his rushes.

#4 Jeff Holland Hands, hands, hands, while everyone else uses them after Tackles have locked on, he uses them actively to stop them getting to him at all. Unbelievable football player, average athelete

#5 Duke Ejiofor, has the most variety of moves in the class, though that can count against him as his rip and swim are much better than his spin, get off is very good for his size, even if he lacks the burst of others above.

#6 Kemoko Turay, has a great get off and hand usage, strong and violent with deceptive burst and bend, had the same shoulder injury as Brown, should be good to go though.

#7 Marcus Davenport, strong, powerful, raw, get off is poor which is a shame as he does have a burst, bull rush is great, but that's practically all he has, needs major work but we know the potential pay off.

#8 Josh Sweat, get off is awful for someone as supposedly athletic, lets tackles set and then tries to run around them, hand usage is inconsistent, he does flash some bend and power so has some potential.

#9 Uchenna Nwosu, the energizer bunny, never stops, great get off and stronger than he looks, but he lacks pass rush nuance, like the worst of Landrry and Obo combined. Bonus of projecting great on base downs.

#10 Sam Hubbard, unbelievable motor, active hands and wins with effort, but has an average get off, poor closing burst and balance, really wanted to like him more.

Unranked enigma, Arden Key at his height he would be #2 on this list, has one wow play every game that few others could do, but then disappears entirely, no idea what his deal is.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Apr 24, 2018 at 3:04 PM ]
Awesome dude, thanks.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Awesome dude, thanks.

Cheers man, I had some time and fired it up, Cut up Corner is great, it's good getting two opposite each other and watching condensed with pause and rewind as well.
Agree with everything but Obo over Landry because you mentioned, the get off.

What do you have based off potential?
I've got:
1. Chubb
2. Landry
3. Davenport
4. Okoronkwo
5. Sweat
6. Ejiofor
7. Turay
8. Holland
9. Hubbard
10. Nwoso

And I'd like to mention, I personally think they are all good players.

For our scheme, give me Landry, Sweat, Turay as my top picks based on value
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:

I've got:
1. Chubb
2. Landry
3. Davenport
4. Okoronkwo
5. Sweat
6. Ejiofor
7. Turay
8. Holland
9. Hubbard
10. Nwoso

Based on potential

1. Landry
2. Key
3. Chubb
4. Davenport
5. Okoronkwo
6. Holland
7. Turay
8. Sweat
9. Ejiofor
10. Hubbard
11. Nwosu
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Apr 21, 2018 at 2:37 PM ]
Good stuff, Mac!

My top 5:

Chubb
Landry
Obo
Sweat
Turay

Gimme one of those plz, Lynch.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Im nueyral on Holland but pretty spot on with tbe rest of your ranking
Originally posted by Heroism:
Good stuff, Mac!

My top 5:

Chubb
Landry
Obo
Sweat
Turay

Gimme one of those plz, Lynch.

Cheers Hero, I thought you were driving the Holland train?!
Nice write up
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I have either watched cut ups (nearly all plays with focused player highlighted) or condensed games of the following pass rushers, this system isn't perfect as it does miss out some plays, and you don't get the feel of the flow of the game. I've done a write up on most of each on their pages, so I'm just going to give nuggets here and attempt to rank them.

#1 and it isn't close, Bradley Chubb, he somehow gets dinged because he isn't super quick, but his get off is amazing for his size, and is the only rusher in this class that can win consistently in different ways, moves, hustle, speed, strength, hands

#2 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, plays with his hair on fire, great variety in his moves, elite get off and can bend, needs to work on his balance, drew more holding calls than anyone.

#3 Harold Landry the best get off of them all, his bend is amazing, but it's his abilty to keep speed and strength while doing it that makes him special. Best upside of the lot but he lacked variety and a plan in his rushes.

#4 Jeff Holland Hands, hands, hands, while everyone else uses them after Tackles have locked on, he uses them actively to stop them getting to him at all. Unbelievable football player, average athelete

#5 Duke Ejiofor, has the most variety of moves in the class, though that can count against him as his rip and swim are much better than his spin, get off is very good for his size, even if he lacks the burst of others above.

#6 Kemoko Turay, has a great get off and hand usage, strong and violent with deceptive burst and bend, had the same shoulder injury as Brown, should be good to go though.

#7 Marcus Davenport, strong, powerful, raw, get off is poor which is a shame as he does have a burst, bull rush is great, but that's practically all he has, needs major work but we know the potential pay off.

#8 Josh Sweat, get off is awful for someone as supposedly athletic, lets tackles set and then tries to run around them, hand usage is inconsistent, he does flash some bend and power so has some potential.

#9 Uchenna Nwosu, the energizer bunny, never stops, great get off and stronger than he looks, but he lacks pass rush nuance, like the worst of Landrry and Obo combined. Bonus of projecting great on base downs.

#10 Sam Hubbard, unbelievable motor, active hands and wins with effort, but has an average get, poor closing burst and balance, really wanted to like him more.

Unranked enigma, Arden Key at his height he would be #2 on this list, has one wow play every game that few others could do, but then disappears entirely, no idea what his deal is.

Thx biggie. How about Lorenzo Carter and Marquise Haynes.

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Thx biggie. How about Lorenzo Carter and Marquise Haynes.

Carter was strange because he didn't rush all that much, had a nice burst when he did, (plus I always got my head turned by Roquan!) maybe I'll try again and be more disciplined!

I was a fan of Haynes at the Senior bowl, watched a couple of his cut ups but couldn't find many, maybe I'll go back and do some more condensed games.
Excellent post bro!
I love this although you're lumping them into one pass rush bucket.

How would you rank them by best scheme fit?

Strong-side DE (Big End) - Bradley Chubb
Weak-side (Elephant) - Harold Landry
SAM LB/ER - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Nickel-only ER - Uchenna Nwosu
Nice write up. I really think there's a solid chance obo falls and he becomes the steal of the draft.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:

I've got:
1. Chubb
2. Landry
3. Davenport
4. Okoronkwo
5. Sweat
6. Ejiofor
7. Turay
8. Holland
9. Hubbard
10. Nwoso

Based on potential

1. Landry
2. Key
3. Chubb
4. Davenport
5. Okoronkwo
6. Holland
7. Turay
8. Sweat
9. Ejiofor
10. Hubbard