There are 257 users in the forums

The Final Countdown-Who Are the 49ers Taking at #9?

The Final Countdown-Who Are the 49ers Taking at #9?

My guess is we take Landry. Makes too much sense . Also makes sense that we'd be hurting from our star LB being out. But don't forget he played 49 percent of snaps last year. Coyle even played 57 percent. And we still managed to play well on 1st and 2nd downs.

The goal this offseason was to fix third downs and bringing in a CB1 and Edge Rusher in Sherman/Landry is the way to do it.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
My guess is we take Landry. Makes too much sense . Also makes sense that we'd be hurting from our star LB being out. But don't forget he played 49 percent of snaps last year. Coyle even played 57 percent. And we still managed to play well on 1st and 2nd downs.

The goal this offseason was to fix third downs and bringing in a CB1 and Edge Rusher in Sherman/Landry is the way to do it.

I think if he's there then Landry is the pick but in that scenario I expect them to double up on LB in the later rounds.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think if he's there then Landry is the pick but in that scenario I expect them to double up on LB in the later rounds.

Wouldn't be a bad idea at all.
I really don't even have a good guess. People have put forth good cases for all of those players based on their strengths and good cases against those players based on their weaknesses. Is management more inclined to go with the BPA according to their board? If so, they might go Fitzpatrick or even Barkely if he were to somehow fall to #9. But maybe they think that Landry (or maybe even Davenport) might be good enough at edge rushing that he can unlock a lot of the potential of the inside pass rush of Buckner and Thomas even if Landry isn't the BPA. I just haven't seen enough to give me solid grounds for inferring what they'll do (which is the smart thing for them to do). I think it is less likely that they will be offered enough by another team to make it worthwhile to drop down in the draft, but I think that is enough of a distinct possibility that it makes it even harder to try to guess what they'll do.

My personal preference is Edmunds, but I can certainly understand why a lot of people are leery of him. I'd be okay with any of the guys listed, though.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Apr 19, 2018 at 8:49 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Still too early to pick just one. Ask me in a week.

Come on Mayo! Be Junior Seau and choose today-o!

Lol, it's between Smith and Landry.
From the poll? Smith. Side line to side line lb that can cover isn't something to sneeze at. He's gonna get pushed around at point of attack but we have need and he fits the bill as bpa at that spot.
Each player you can make a case why we pick him. But For this question: Landry

My preference in order:

1 Landry- this is a passing league and we get the best ER available. Add him to Buck and Solly that will help terrorized opposing QB.
2. Smith- not even sure he will be there if all the chatter about him going before our pick. If he is, will solidify our LB with or without Foster. Plug and play leader.
3. Trade down- if the first 2 are gone if we trade down, give me LVE,Wynn,Oliver depending how low we traded down.
4. Minkah- I'm ok with this as he will solidify our back end. I would rather go with the first 2
5. Edmunds- if he's the pick, i may be the disappointed not because he's not a good player, but he's far from finished and we don't know he will get there. At 10, he has to be a plug and play which I know he is. But we have to take the good and some of the bad. If the management really wants an ILB in the first, It's Smith by a mile and LVE on a trade down.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM ]
Landry because pass rush.
Its Roquan Smith, I think the FO feels like they need to make good on the pick for Foster last yr by covering themselves. Not only did they take a chance with Foster but they also gave away 2 picks to move up to get him so if he's released it won't look/hurt as bad in there mind

Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Each player you can make a case why we pick him. But For this question: Landry

My preference in order:

1 Landry- this is a passing league and we get the best ER available. Add him to Buck and Solly that will help terrorized opposing QB.
2. Smith- not even sure he will be there if all the chatter about him going before our pick. If he is, will solidify our LB with or without Foster. Plug and play leader.
3. Trade down- if the first 2 are gone if we trade down, give me LVE,Wynn,Oliver depending how low we traded down.
4. Minkah- I'm ok with this as he will solidify our back end. I would rather go with the first 2
5. Edmunds- if he's the pick, i may be the disappointed not because he's not a good player, but he's far from finished and we don't know he will get there. At 10, he has to be a plug and play which I know he is. But we have to take the good and some of the bad. If the management really wants an ILB in the first, It's Smith by a mile and LVE on a trade down.

Good answer
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Dudes. This is a "who ARE they taking" not a "who do I want them to take" poll.
Originally posted by fan49:
So just so you guys know who voted for safety. That would be the least upgrade to our team. I don't know about you but with a first-round pick I want an impact maker. And I'm not saying he wouldn't make it impact on other teams just not ours. Why would be slightly upgrade or safety position when we can get an actual Edge rusher. Or a young linebacker that can play any of are linebacker positions that has the highest ceiling out of anybody

So just so you know the question is who the 49ers take, not who you would take.
It's Harold Landry.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

This seems like the perfect scenario...We might skip on a RB we liked in the mid rounds to take a LB but i think that's ok with all the comp at that position already.
Share 49ersWebzone