LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

2018 Draft Philosophy: Target a Star or Trade down to upgrade Multiple Positions?

2018 Draft Philosophy: Target a Star or Trade down to upgrade Multiple Positions?

The addition of Jimmy G has many of us fans thinking playoff wins, but Jed has stated that his standard is Super Bowls. The Niners have some really good pieces, but they still have a lot of gaps or at least positions that could be upgraded.

Should the Niners target a projected star @ #9, or at this point, are they better served to attempt to upgrade multiple positions on this current roster?

If the Niners put all their eggs in the #9 pick, and that player busts or gets hurt, there is no net gain. If they move down and pick up multiple players, it's possible that more than one could turn into a star. However, if they draft a bunch of average players, their impact will be negligible compared to one All-Pro.

Thoughts?
Landry or Roquan at 9 or trade down is my choice.
I really want Landry bad
Originally posted by Dadda808:
I really want Landry bad

This
  • dj43
When you draft this high you MUST get a star player. Get depth when the team improves and you are picking lower.
I think we target a player @9.
I think the top 4 QB's will be gone so I just don't think there will be many trade offers unless we want to take less value in a trade.
If you look back on past drafts there are not many trades where teams come up into the top 10 other then for a QB,LT or pass rusher.
I know it does happen Julio Jones for example, I would have to go back and look but I would guess 5-10% chance at best.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Landry or Smith or trade down three most likely possibilities I hope
Originally posted by genus49:
Landry or Roquan at 9 or trade down is my choice.

Yup.
Originally posted by Butter:

If the Niners put all their eggs in the #9 pick, and that player busts or gets hurt, there is no net gain. If they move down and pick up multiple players, it's possible that more than one could turn into a star. However, if they draft a bunch of average players, their impact will be negligible compared to one All-Pro.

Thoughts?

They could also keep #9 and trade into late 1 (possibly early 2).
IMO that could be in range to target a guy like Sweat or Oliver/Davis. After those guys, the talent level for edge and big corner seems to drop off.
[ Edited by zonkers on Apr 14, 2018 at 1:52 PM ]
This assumes that we have a trading partner and it's a win for the 49ers, but unless Nelson it there at #9 (almost impossible), then I hope we trade back and get more swings at the bat.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/190788-what-niners-draft-day/search=What%20will%20the

Already started.
Share 49ersWebzone