LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 381 users in the forums

The Santa Clara Draft Flippers Approach to the 2018 Draft

So since very other approach has been analyzed to death I was thinking of a fresh and bold approach that the front office could take to this year's draft.
Everyone knows that this NFL draft is all about the QBs and who needs them and the teams at the top of the draft are holding all the power because of this. Everyone also assumes that since we locked up Jimmy G long term we are safely out of the equation and no threat at 9 to anyone's draft plans and will just sit tight and take whoever the other teams fighting it out deign to let fall to us and be grateful. But I got to thinking, why let that happen? Why not take some initiative and grab some control of this draft? No one seems to like where are drafting, and there seems to be a lot of arguing over who is available, reaches, scheme fit, etc. So here is my wild proposal....

Step 1. We make a play for a top of the draft pick- I'm thinking the Giants at number 2. Let on that we are hard after a defensive player like Chubb and just can't risk him getting away. Drive the best bargain we can but we know we are going to give up A LOT to move to that spot ahead of the Jets. Its going to sound crazy and fans will be pissed as it will look like we are mortaging our future. We do this before the draft in 3 weeks.

Step 2. We let is "leak" that we had to make the move because even though we have Jimmy, Shanahan has awoken from mourning to find his perfect QB in this draft, and we could not say no. We moved up and we plan to get him. But on draft week Lynch, in a sign of front office strife puts out word the pick is for sale to the highest bidder. We flip the pick for more draft picks then we gave up and then run the draft like bosses from there on out.

Step 2A. If the worst happens and we end up having to pick a QB, we pick the one Shanahan likes best, let that be known and then offer that QB for trade instead of the pick. So a team like Buffalo or Arizona can have our hand picked Shanahan QB in exchange for numerous picks in this year's and next year's NFL drafts.

Either way we take control, flip that sucker for more picks, probably still get somebody like Landry and many more pieces as well. Risky and unconventional but certainly different then just sitting and waiting for the top teams to control what everyone else has to do.
Are you a writer for the Walking Dead?
IBTL
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Are you a writer for the Walking Dead?

Has it gotten bad? I'm not caught up.
You guys are no fun
  • 91til
  • Veteran
lol. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I want some!!

Genius.
In fact, picking a QB at 9, if one of the prime ones were to somehow make it that far, would be a stellar move.
Jimmy is one hit from giving our season back to CJ again.
We need a savvy Bugs Bunny holding the clipboard for the day when The Crusher takes out Ravishing Ronald.
Moving to 2 would be too rich, but 6 or 7 just might do it.
Share 49ersWebzone