LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Let's talk about WR's in this draft.

Sutton, St. Brown, Chark, Miller, J'Mon Moore, and Trey Quinn are the top of my WR crushes
  • krizay
  • Veteran
The Wrs. Im high on. Alot of mine has to do with where all the WRs are projected to go.

James Washington- to me best WR in tbe class. His body type and his lack of running the route tree are his biggest knocks. While he does have a weird body type how has that effected him to this point? As for his route tree. The routes he does run he runs pretty well. So because he's not asked tp run them doesnt mean he wont be able to learn to run them to tbe degree he runs the ones he does well.

He has great hands, gets separation and has pretty good speed for his size.

Late 2nd-early 3rd would be a steal. (Tier 1 all the tools to be a #1)

Equanimeous St. Brown- great route runner with good hands. Doesnt play to his size but has good speed to YAC.

3rd round (Tier 2. Seems to be more of a WR2 than a go to guy)

Daeshean Hamilton- wins off the LOS EASILY like st. Brown couple him with an accurate passer like Grop He can be dangerous after the catch. (Tier 2 WR2 material)

Dante Pettis

Pettis is a poor man's Ridley. A great route runner that just seems to always get open. (Tier 2, WR2 material)

3rd-4th round

Michael Gallup
Daurice Fountain
Justin Watson

Gallup and Fountain are WRs that just seems to make plays. Both cab run routes and make a play on the ball.

Justin Watson- not much tape on him. 6'2 215 4.4 dominated the ivy league and held his own during senior bowl practices versus top competition. Screams poor mans Jordy Nerlson

4th-5th range (Tier 3 not as safe bets as the Tier 2 WRs. But has the ability to not only be WR2 material but has the ability to be WR1 if the stars align)

Arden Tate
Deontay Burnett

Tate seems to be the best at using his big body amongst all big bodied WRs in tbe draft. Dont seem like he'd add all that much beyween the 20's though

Burnett a quick twitch slot guy that can get open and make catches. That skill set could be just as dangerous in the redzone as the taller Tate.

Round 5 (tier 4 can find a niche excelling in a certain area but unlikely to be full time players.)

Tre'Quan Smith
Jester Weah

Theres something about both Weah and Smith I like as tier 2 and 3 WRs but both have a lower floor than those WRs so i cant jusitfy trying to take them earlier than guys i think can definitely help.

Round 6 (Tier 5 WR2 ceiling but both have a Tier 6 floor)

Emmanuel Butler
Brandon Shed
Adonis Jennings
Deontez Alexander

All 4 are tall WRs that come from smaller schools.

Butler actually had a 4th round grade (so i read) but he got hurt missed entire senior season

He seems to be tate lime using his body to make plays.

Brandon Shed looks like he has a tier 2 game. Great route runner and hands. Just looks smooth but against lower level guys

Adonis Jennings another WR that looks like he has WR2 game from limited highlights. Appears to be a good route runner and have good hands

Deontez Alexander another small school prospect thst just balls out.

Round 7- UDFA (tier 6 guys going from big fish in snall pond to little fish in a big pond)
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 6, 2018 at 12:21 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for Stevec9932.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
Fluffy Evans outta UMBC is one of the most underrated WR's in this years draft. Jerry Rice type of hands with Randy Moss type of plucking ability mixed in with Goodwins speed. Amazing talent.

I take it no one believes in Fluffy?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I just want you to know that you have successfully triggered me on DJ Moore and I'm going to leave good day sir.

My favorites are Moore, St. Brown, Gallup, and Hamilton. There a lot of great receiver options in this draft, we should have no problem getting someone in the rounds 2-4 range with the potential to develop and take over for Garcon in a year or two.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 6, 2018 at 1:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I just want you to know that you have successfully triggered me on DJ Moore and I'm going to leave good day sir.

Lol this.
You guys need to keep an eye on either of these sleepers that Kyle can develop or the future,Deontez Alexander and Vyncint Smith, both are 6 2" and both run sub 4.4 40 time and bot on field speed matches their timed 40, these guys were very productive in their college career, yeah I can see Kyle drafting one of these guys in the later rounds, maybe 4-6 rounds, they are not only fast but have a lot of what kyle looks for in WRs.
I've been reading a lot of Bill Walsh's commentary on the WCO. And one thing he deemed really important for his WRs is run after the catch ability. That is something we are currently lacking. Garcon was good in his younger days at this, but I'm not sure where he is now. Goodwin really doesn't have open field moves like that.

So my question is who do you believe in the best RAC WR in the draft? I think that's something Kyle will be looking to add.

If you read up on Walsh's WCO, a big bodied WR isn't necessary for success. He created the system because he didnt have good players haha. Combine that with Kyle's comments on what is needed in a WR and I think he's mirroring the GOAT Bill Walsh. Precision route running and open field RAC ability are huge. Hopefully we can nab someone in the draft that helps us there.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BlueTentFoster:
I've been reading a lot of Bill Walsh's commentary on the WCO. And one thing he deemed really important for his WRs is run after the catch ability. That is something we are currently lacking. Garcon was good in his younger days at this, but I'm not sure where he is now. Goodwin really doesn't have open field moves like that.

So my question is who do you believe in the best RAC WR in the draft? I think that's something Kyle will be looking to add.

If you read up on Walsh's WCO, a big bodied WR isn't necessary for success. He created the system because he didnt have good players haha. Combine that with Kyle's comments on what is needed in a WR and I think he's mirroring the GOAT Bill Walsh. Precision route running and open field RAC ability are huge. Hopefully we can nab someone in the draft that helps us there.

Mine are Washington, Hamilton and St. Brown. Also Pettis.

Im sure youre going to get alot of Moore. Which he is dangerous with the ball in his hands. No doubt about that. But can he separate enough to catch the balls to RAC
I'd like to see Sutton, Ateman or Tate catching touchdowns for the Niners next season. They need some size at WR and if they could one or two of these giants touchdowns would be a lot easier.

Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by BlueTentFoster:

Mine are Washington, Hamilton and St. Brown. Also Pettis.

Im sure youre going to get alot of Moore. Which he is dangerous with the ball in his hands. No doubt about that. But can he separate enough to catch the balls to RAC

Aren't Kirk and Miller solid fits as well?
Originally posted by Syxton:
Like I said earlier, I just got tired of typing.

Michael Gallup - I really like this kid. Super strong and aggressive. A little lazy on some routes, rounding off out routes, but he seems to have a good feel for knowing how much space he needs to make a catch and has really good strong hands. Reminds me of Bolden in how strong and aggressive he plays. Sometimes he lets that aggressiveness get the best of him and pushes the defender when he doesn't need to. Wins on jump balls...period. Feel sorry for some corners when he takes the punishment to them. He runs through, not around people. Super underrated. High 2nd round talent.

Anthony Miller - Memphis spread WR attack inflates Miller's stats. He is a very effective slot receiver. No fear in this kid. Not especially fast for his size, plays smaller than he is. Very fast feet and loves to run the double move. Has good change of direction skills and pretty good run after catch skills. Was used as an offensive weapon at Memphis, running, catching, and some passing. Wasn't always effective at contested balls, but gets what you would expect on manufactured plays. If he is as productive in the NFL I would be very surprised. He is kind of like a Randall Cobb, but I don't think he will be as good as Cobb. My guess is 4th or 5th round.
I love Gallup I have never heard anything negative about his route running in fact there are some that say he is as good or even better at running routes than Ridley The negative against him are 2...He doesn't seem as explosive...Lower level of competition
He owned the Senior Bowl! He is smooth and has deceptive speed (4.46 Pro Day) He seems to have amazing hands (Ridley has acquired a case of the dropsies at the Conbine and his Pro Day) Gallup's stock is on the up and Ridley's has dropped . The problem is determining hig high has Gallup's stock gone...Some say he is a late 1st rounder to middle 2nd...Some have him as low as a 4th rounder still If he is there in the 3rd I would be surprised and the 49ers should hop on him...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-wr-michael-gallup-is-a-first-round-sleeper/

This is from CBSSPORTS
"With only two years at the FBS ranks after a stop in junior college, Michael Gallup is relatively unknown wideout prospect. Time to familiarize yourself with him if you haven't already because he has first-round ability.
After 76 catches, 1,272 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2016 for Colorado State, Gallup reeled in 100 passes for 1,418 yards with seven scores this past season.
His film is a clinic on playing receiver ... sharp route-running, effortless double moves, wins in contested-catch situations, yards after the catch, etc. You name it, Gallup excels at it. And, I actually prefer him to Alabama's Calvin Ridley, who's likely to go much earlier in April's draft. "
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
I'd like to see Sutton, Ateman or Tate catching touchdowns for the Niners next season. They need some size at WR and if they could one or two of these giants touchdowns would be a lot easier.

This

Cool with St Brown and Gallup too...
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

This

Cool with St Brown and Gallup too...

St Brown and Gallup would make great targets for Jimmy G. The average NFL corner is 5'11". WR's go 6'1". Having a 5" or 6" advantage makes it easy to box out the defender or catch it at the high point even if they're covered.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Aren't Kirk and Miller solid fits as well?

I wasnt looking for fits. I was merely naming the WRs i like. I'm a TAMU fan but not big on Kirk. Love him with the ball in his hands but he drops too many easy ones for me to justify a likely 2nd round pick.

If hes there in the 4th then sure, id take a flyer.

Miller is just Meh to me.
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 11, 2018 at 4:19 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone