LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2018 NFL Draft Best 50 Board- Updated 4/26

Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
The standard breakdown on the main QB prospects would be nice if/when you have the time?

I'll do that in the next couple weeks when I do an exhaustive review. The great thing about watching so many games and players is that they overlap with the big 4 QBs.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Need Smith and Ragnow to fall back more in the late 50s

I love both players. Ragnow's football IQ is off the charts. Smith is so athletic in his movement. Great NFL frame.
A few things:

1. Roquan is not better than Minkah imo I think the need for another LB for us has lead some people to think he's better. (Not saying that's why you do)

2. Taven Bryan to me is better than at least 30 players on this list. He's an absolute beast and is definitely underrated.

3. Vander Esch over Q. Nelson?! That's crazy talk even though I like him a lot. Sorry no.

Good job as always.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Ragnow is a reach at 2nd round.. Penny is the one to be under "must have" in the 2nd round..

Love Penny. My biggest concern with him is fumble rate. However, the Bengals are sold on Joe Mixon, who had similar issues in college and his rookie year.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
And Roquan at 5 and Landry at 15!!!!

That's what I thought. You Landry at 9 peeps need to realize BY FAR he is NOT BPA at that spot. If you don't care about drafting BPA just so you can fill a positional need you desire filled with a 1st round pick, so be it. If you want Landry trade down to 15 or even 20 when Roquan and a lot of others above him on MadDog's list are not going to be on the board. If Roquan is on the board at 9 he is BPA and we take him. Period.

And Roquan is above Nelson. Love it. As I'd pick Roquan over Nelson at 9 if both were on the board.

Both are very good college players, and team captains. The teams that get them will be very lucky. I just think Nelson is a bit overrated by many (some grade him as the best or second best...I don't see a clean enough sheet).
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Thanks a ton.

But you have Landry rated way too high.

We'll see. I think he is going to be a pretty good pro.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Have fun, mock me as much as you want (I am stretching now for the boos on Davenport)!
Here we go 2011 all over again... When we picked Aldon at 6 you stood firm on JJ Watt being the better play and he went #11....

Looking back, I probably ripped Watt off being number 5 on my best board, but it would have been hard to be graded over my top four: AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Von Miller and Marcell Dareus. Of course, he ended up better than Dareus, but those top three are pretty good. 2011 was loaded.

Watt's productivity numbers, in his last year as a junior, and his combine numbers, which are legendary, really sold me, He was the total package.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Have fun, mock me as much as you want (I am stretching now for the boos on Davenport)!
Here we go 2011 all over again... When we picked Aldon at 6 you stood firm on JJ Watt being the better play and he went #11....

Looking back, I probably ripped Watt off being number 5 on my best board, but it would have been hard to be graded over my top four: AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Von Miller and Marcell Dareus. Of course, he ended up better than Dareus, but those top three are pretty good. 2011 was loaded.

Watt's productivity numbers, in his last year as a junior, and his combine numbers, which are legendary, really sold me, He was the total package.

Originally posted by Lobo49er:
I'm making the assertion that there is no chance in hell that Harold Landry is BPA over Roquan Smith. Ok that was a bit strong, but I would wager heavily that no NFL draft boards would have Landry above Roquan in terms of BPA. I would say the same about James, Jackson, Edmunds, and Ridley. Ward is too close to Smith to say one way or the other (although I would say Smith), and Davenport is a complete wild card due to his size measurables and raw potential so it's hard to assess how teams will view him.

Of course I could be wrong as I have obviously not seen each team's draft board.

In the end, if the Niners think Landry is BPA over Smith at 9, I want them to draft Landry (Or Ward, or Ridley, or Davenport, or Edmunds, etc if they are BPA on the Niners board). I just don't believe they will think Landry (or the others) is BPA over Roquan.

We will see if I'm right. And MadDog's opinion is more valid and credible than most on here and that most definitely includes my own. In this case, however, MD's opinion matches my own on Roquan being BPA at 9 if he is at #5 on MD's board with only Chubb, Barkley, and two QB's above him, all of which are likely gone by pick 9.

MD has Baker rated higher than Roquan. If he's there at 9, what should we do? Draft the BPA?

He's not going to be there. Less than 1 percent chance.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Where's my man Anthony Miller?! Don't sleep on that dude, he's a baller!

Just waiting to see how he is recovering (lower body issues are scary for me at WR....see note on Kevin White). I waited to hear about Hurst before posting this today, and simply can't wait any longer . Miller's workout should be on April 6.

If he is good to go, he'll be in the Top 50.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
The first MD best board... The draft season has just got serious! Thanks MD, will be the most viewed and studied post on the zone until your next board!

Long ways to go, my friend. Let's enjoy the ride.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
A few things:

1. Roquan is not better than Minkah imo I think the need for another LB for us has lead some people to think he's better. (Not saying that's why you do)

2. Taven Bryan to me is better than at least 30 players on this list. He's an absolute beast and is definitely underrated.

3. Vander Esch over Q. Nelson?! That's crazy talk even though I like him a lot. Sorry no.

Good job as always.

The beauty of the draft is the lens that people view in each player. Check back with me in 5 years, and we'll swap notes over a beer.
Based on my grading, the possible picks I would make on the clock (if on the board) would be

1st round: 9th overall (Dolphins 11th regardless): Roquan Smith
2nd round: 59th overall (from New Orleans Saints; 2016 draft-day trade) Uchenna Nwosu
3rd round: 70th overall (from Chicago Bears; 2016 draft-day trade) Frank Ragnow
3rd round: 74th overall (Dolphins 73rd regardless) Rashaad Penny
And Roquan at 5 and Landry at 15!!!!

That's what I thought. You Landry at 9 peeps need to realize BY FAR he is NOT BPA at that spot. If you don't care about drafting BPA just so you can fill a positional need you desire filled with a 1st round pick, so be it. If you want Landry trade down to 15 or even 20 when Roquan and a lot of others above him on MadDog's list are not going to be on the board. If Roquan is on the board at 9 he is BPA and we take him. Period.

And Roquan is above Nelson. Love it. As I'd pick Roquan over Nelson at 9 if both were on the board.
...and you would be correct, sir!

Cheers!
Vander Esch at MIKE and Foster at WILL
vs
Foster at MIKE and Smith at WILL

Effectiveness and longevity...which combo is bettter?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Vander Esch at MIKE and Foster at WILL
vs
Foster at MIKE and Smith at WILL

Effectiveness and longevity...which combo is bettter?

I want the Niners to move Foster outside. We need a team leader on defense in the ILB position, whether it is R. Smith, Vander Esch, R, Evans, J, Jewell. These team captains are clean dudes you don't have to worry about off the field.
Share 49ersWebzone