There are 230 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2018 NFL Draft Best 50 Board- Updated 4/26

Originally posted by okdkid:
I really have no opinion on Landry and don't care if we do or do not take him at #9.. but surely you understand that teams can have opinions on BPA that differ from internet opinions that you agree with.

What if the Niners do go BPA...and it's James? Or Ward? Or Jackson? Or Landry? Or Edmunds? Or Ridley? Or Davenport?

They can go "BPA" and not agree with who you think BPA is. These are internet opinions, not the actual Niners draft board.

Too much logic for pre-draft bonanza time...
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I really have no opinion on Landry and don't care if we do or do not take him at #9.. but surely you understand that teams can have opinions on BPA that differ from internet opinions that you agree with.

What if the Niners do go BPA...and it's James? Or Ward? Or Jackson? Or Landry? Or Edmunds? Or Ridley? Or Davenport?

They can go "BPA" and not agree with who you think BPA is. These are internet opinions, not the actual Niners draft board.

Too much logic for pre-draft bonanza time...

We're in full "pick a player for no real reason and inevitably be let down on draft day" season.
I'm making the assertion that there is no chance in hell that Harold Landry is BPA over Roquan Smith. Ok that was a bit strong, but I would wager heavily that no NFL draft boards would have Landry above Roquan in terms of BPA. I would say the same about James, Jackson, Edmunds, and Ridley. Ward is too close to Smith to say one way or the other (although I would say Smith), and Davenport is a complete wild card due to his size measurables and raw potential so it's hard to assess how teams will view him.

Of course I could be wrong as I have obviously not seen each team's draft board.

In the end, if the Niners think Landry is BPA over Smith at 9, I want them to draft Landry (Or Ward, or Ridley, or Davenport, or Edmunds, etc if they are BPA on the Niners board). I just don't believe they will think Landry (or the others) is BPA over Roquan.

We will see if I'm right. And MadDog's opinion is more valid and credible than most on here and that most definitely includes my own. In this case, however, MD's opinion matches my own on Roquan being BPA at 9 if he is at #5 on MD's board with only Chubb, Barkley, and two QB's above him, all of which are likely gone by pick 9.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Have fun, mock me as much as you want (I am stretching now for the boos on Davenport)!
Here we go 2011 all over again... When we picked Aldon at 6 you stood firm on JJ Watt being the better play and he went #11....
Have you guys seen the consensus draft rankings?
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
I'm making the assertion that there is no chance in hell that Harold Landry is BPA over Roquan Smith. Ok that was a bit strong, but I would wager heavily that no NFL draft boards would have Landry above Roquan in terms of BPA. I would say the same about James, Jackson, Edmunds, and Ridley. Ward is too close to Smith to say one way or the other (although I would say Smith), and Davenport is a complete wild card due to his size measurables and raw potential so it's hard to assess how teams will view him.

Of course I could be wrong as I have obviously not seen each team's draft board.

In the end, if the Niners think Landry is BPA over Smith at 9, I want them to draft Landry (Or Ward, or Ridley, or Davenport, or Edmunds, etc if they are BPA on the Niners board). I just don't believe they will think Landry (or the others) is BPA over Roquan.

We will see if I'm right. And MadDog's opinion is more valid and credible than most on here and that most definitely includes my own. In this case, however, MD's opinion matches my own on Roquan being BPA at 9 if he is at #5 on MD's board with only Chubb, Barkley, and two QB's above him, all of which are likely gone by pick 9.

MD has Baker rated higher than Roquan. If he's there at 9, what should we do? Draft the BPA?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

MD has Baker rated higher than Roquan. If he's there at 9, what should we do? Draft the BPA?

Yeah. People should just stop saying "draft BPA" and just own it with "draft my favorite player". Don't pretend to use logic and reason when you just want to be a fan. Be a fan, pound the table just because, and own it. If you truly want the Niners to draft BPA...then you're at the mercy of the Niners draft board... not yours.
Love it MD, great work as always, I'm surprised you're so high on Baker Mayfield and not Rosen, but you're the man.

The QB's really are dependent on the right situation so it will be difficult to compare them, but I'd like to hear the reasoning.
Where's my man Anthony Miller?! Don't sleep on that dude, he's a baller!
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Yeah. People should just stop saying "draft BPA" and just own it with "draft my favorite player". Don't pretend to use logic and reason when you just want to be a fan. Be a fan, pound the table just because, and own it. If you truly want the Niners to draft BPA...then you're at the mercy of the Niners draft board... not yours.

No. Come on guys. Obv we don't draft BPA at QB or FB.

I have said many times I think Roquan will likely be BPA at 9 and if so, we should select him. I have also stated that if Landry is BPA on the 49ers draft board at 9 over Roquan, they should take Landry. While I am a fan of Roquan and want us to draft him, I only want us to draft him if Shanalynch also believes he is BPA (NON QB OR FB since I clearly have to add detail where it shouldn't be needed). I think if Chubb, Nelson, and Barkley are gone by 9, that there is a good chance that ROquan would be BPA at 9 on Shanalynch's board. Obv that is an educated speculation there.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

My vote is for Landry, if we get that edge rush right in the draft, we are going to win a lot of games.

As an aside, I'm surprised MD dropped Landry that far (even though it's a preliminary board).
Originally posted by Giedi:

My vote is for Landry, if we get that edge rush right in the draft, we are going to win a lot of games.

As an aside, I'm surprised MD dropped Landry that far (even though it's a preliminary board).
Really? MD has him ranked 15th which is higher than just about every ranking for Landry that I have seen.
Here is an example why Vita Vea is a phenomenal prospect: Take a look at the video at the 5:01 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raW5bt1E0YI
The first MD best board... The draft season has just got serious! Thanks MD, will be the most viewed and studied post on the zone until your next board!
Originally posted by lamontb:
Looks pretty solid, I didn't think Moore would rise so high. I'd like Davenport at 9

MD what is it that you don't like about Josh Jackson? I'm not as high as many ppl on this hoard are and I much rather have Ward. But a lot of ppl preferred him over Ward as the top rated CB. Seems like you have him as the 5th rated CB

This is a really strong CB class, so this does push him down a bit. On the positive side, his ball skills are outstanding. However, he has a couple tendencies that I believe NFL QBs are gong to exploit:
1. He is peeking into the backfield a LOT. You can get away with it in college, but he is going to get roasted if he does that consistently in the NFL. This is one of the reasons he has so many interceptions.

2. In off coverage, he can get quite lazy in his technique, He often plays flat-footed or too upright in his stance. Again, NFL receivers who run crisp routes are going to take advantage.

In many ways, these issues can be fixed. However, I see some of the other guys better overall in their coverage skills.
Share 49ersWebzone