There are 173 users in the forums

Athletic article about Shanny's draft patterns

Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Can you imagine if we actually get Goedert in the third?? Don't see him slipping to the third but that would be wild.

That's and Hurst were what stuck out to me
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Thanks for the run down!

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
I'll try to summarize:

1) We are filling immediate holes in FA no as not to pigeonhole ourselves during the draft (this has been a consistent strategy in our roster construction)
2) It states that due to this strategy we do not have glaring gaps at our starter spots (debatable) but this will allow us to basically go BPA during the draft
3) There are clear patterns in Shanny's draft history

TREND #1: Rarely draft O players in RD 1
- Over 10 seasons Shanny's teams have drafted 4 offensive players in the first round and only at 2 different positions (OT: Brown and Williams) and QB (RGIII and Manziel)
- We are set at both of those positions

Potential targets: Chubb, Minkah, Roquan, Edmunds, James, Landry as targets (the usual suspects basically)

TREND #2: Shanny's teams have NEVER drafted RB or TE before RD 3; Only one offensive player ever picked in RD 2
- Joel Bitonio in 2014 (Browns) is the only time he's selected an O player in the 2nd round
- Generally finds his offensive talent later in the draft

Potential targets here: Isaiah Oliver, Carlton Davis, Lorenzo Carter, Sam Hubbard, Darius Leonard, Jerome Baker (CBs and LBs basically)

TREND #3: Shanny drafts O in RD 3
- Nine (9) offensive players taken in this round over the last ten (10) drafts
- Finds undervalued players here, it is his sweet spot (notable names: Slaton, Reed, West, Coleman, Hooper)
- Looks for players who are better on tape than their combine measurables
- Very good hit rate here, Niners have picks 70 & 74 here

They look heavily at RB here since it is such a deep class.

Potential targets: RoJo, Nick Chubb, Kerryon Johnson

The last three TEs drafted by Shanny (Reed, Hooper and Kittle) have all run 40s faster than 4.75 (combine average for TEs), he values athleticism, route running and catching over pass blocking.

Potential targets in RD 3: Goedert, Hayden Hurst

Wide Receivers: Shanny has lacked recent success here, most of his best WRs were already drafted (Julio) or through FA (Garcon)

Potential targets: Christian Kirk, Dante Pettis, Anthony Miller

We don't know how much say he had on personnel decisions as an offensive coordinator.
He clearly had an impact on the decisions in Atlanta and probably a big hand in Washington as well.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
I'll try to summarize:

1) We are filling immediate holes in FA no as not to pigeonhole ourselves during the draft (this has been a consistent strategy in our roster construction)
2) It states that due to this strategy we do not have glaring gaps at our starter spots (debatable) but this will allow us to basically go BPA during the draft
3) There are clear patterns in Shanny's draft history

TREND #1: Rarely draft O players in RD 1
- Over 10 seasons Shanny's teams have drafted 4 offensive players in the first round and only at 2 different positions (OT: Brown and Williams) and QB (RGIII and Manziel)
- We are set at both of those positions

Potential targets: Chubb, Minkah, Roquan, Edmunds, James, Landry as targets (the usual suspects basically)

TREND #2: Shanny's teams have NEVER drafted RB or TE before RD 3; Only one offensive player ever picked in RD 2
- Joel Bitonio in 2014 (Browns) is the only time he's selected an O player in the 2nd round
- Generally finds his offensive talent later in the draft

Potential targets here: Isaiah Oliver, Carlton Davis, Lorenzo Carter, Sam Hubbard, Darius Leonard, Jerome Baker (CBs and LBs basically)

TREND #3: Shanny drafts O in RD 3
- Nine (9) offensive players taken in this round over the last ten (10) drafts
- Finds undervalued players here, it is his sweet spot (notable names: Slaton, Reed, West, Coleman, Hooper)
- Looks for players who are better on tape than their combine measurables
- Very good hit rate here, Niners have picks 70 & 74 here

They look heavily at RB here since it is such a deep class.

Potential targets: RoJo, Nick Chubb, Kerryon Johnson

The last three TEs drafted by Shanny (Reed, Hooper and Kittle) have all run 40s faster than 4.75 (combine average for TEs), he values athleticism, route running and catching over pass blocking.

Potential targets in RD 3: Goedert, Hayden Hurst

Wide Receivers: Shanny has lacked recent success here, most of his best WRs were already drafted (Julio) or through FA (Garcon)

Potential targets: Christian Kirk, Dante Pettis, Anthony Miller

We don't know how much say he had on personnel decisions as an offensive coordinator.
He clearly had an impact on the decisions in Atlanta and probably a big hand in Washington as well.

I agree. It was well known that he was vocal in the draft rooms, particularly concerning the QBs. Kyle wanted Carr and Jimmy over Manziel, they didn't listen to him. Generally the coordinators get a little more say after the early rounds but I'm sure his father granted him some leeway while they were in WAS together.
Shanny didn't want rg3 or manziel so that's only 2 offensive players in 10 yrs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
If the 49ers can trade down, get Landry and land another 3rd or 4rth round for Kyle's offense, I can see them picking another OLineman or TE to bolster the offense.

If somehow John can get more 3rd round picks for Kyle, (maybe even trading down a 2nd for an extra 3rd and change) I think you'd see Kyle going hog wild on offense. Then again it's defense that wins Lombardies.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Can you imagine if we actually get Goedert in the third?? Don't see him slipping to the third but that would be wild.

That would be nuts. I've seen him mocked into the 20s, but who the hell knows this year? There are about two rounds of guys that I'd call 2nd round talent, so team preference and team needs will factor in huge. Should be fun. The draft always seems more exciting when you have NO idea who's going where.
Mike Shanahan's drafts as Head Coach. Rounds 1 and 2 only

Broncos
1996 - LB, DB
1997 - DT
1998 - WR, DB
1999 - LB, T, G
2000 - DB, LB, DB
2001 - DB, DE
2002 - WR, RB
2003 - T, LB
2004 - LB, RB, WR
2005 - DB
2006 - QB, TE
2007 - DB
2008 - T, WR

Redskins
2010 - OT
2011 - DE, DT
2012 - QB
2013 - DB

One thing that sticks out is he loved drafting LB and DB. He did have John Elway and Rod Smith in Denver so QB and WR weren't much of a need early on.

The picks available to us at #9 are mostly... you guessed it DB and LB

R Smith (LB)
M Fitzpatrick (DB)
D Ward (DB)
T Edmunds LB)
D James (DB)
H Landry (DE/OLB)
M Davenport (DE)
Q Nelson (G)
Share 49ersWebzone