There are 169 users in the forums

A unexpected draft pick at 9

A unexpected draft pick at 9

Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by Dillesq:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
To simply answer the question its gotta be Derwin.

Yep. Derwin is a top 5 player in this draft. He didn't get the continued hype through the season because FSU sucked and had a down year.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Derwins strongest position at SS ? I think the front office is sold on Tartt especially if Reid isn't signed, yes he has to stay healthy but when he is he's a good player who could be great..

Yeah but if there is a surprise pick it's gonna be BPA. At nine he would be BPA and he's a guy that can lineup anywhere in the secondary. But yeah he's a way faster (4.4) Kam Chancellor. And more athletic too.
I would take James
I have a weird feeling Lynch would take Fitzpatrick though, I think he is probably going to fall in love with him as a player. I hope not
Out of all of those I'd say James would be the most unexpected.

Davenport wouldn't be my ideal choice but he does hit a clear need and offers hope of turning into a dominant edge rusher
Minkah has ability to play corner which is a clear need, what his best position is another discussion though
James is a safety....great player but there isn't a ton of positional versatility with him IMO(playing him at LB wouldn't be wise)
Unexpected, I'd go with James, easily.

Minkah and Davenport seem very likely.
  • fip24
  • Veteran
If Shan and Lynch think Derwin (of Minkah) are the BPA, I can see them playing CB this year and moving to S next season. In my opinion, there is no way Jimmy Ward is on this team in 2019. Either he gets injured again this year and the Niners won't want him or he stays healthy/plays well- which will probably price him out of SF. Niners would be hard pressed to give large muti year extensions to Ward and Tartt in the same offseason ( they seem to favor Tartt)
I'm most worried about 49ers taking ILB Leighton Vander Esch over some of the big names like Ward, Fitzpatrick, Smith etc.
Originally posted by Ice49er:
I'm most worried about 49ers taking ILB Leighton Vander Esch over some of the big names like Ward, Fitzpatrick, Smith etc.

I wouldnt worry about that at 9
I believe John Lynch will want to draft Minkah Fitzpatrick if he is available at 9. Then the question would be, who does Kyle Shanahan want us to draft and it is someone else than Fitzpatrick, would the third person (Adam Peters?) have the tie breaker...

I really, really hope we can trade down but otherwise I like Harold Landry at 9 but I think we will take a DB or possibly Davenport. I would take Derwin James if it came down to that even though I really like our safety's, I feel he is a special prospect and player. He could also play some nickel corner.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
My surprise pick is Ridley, let's be clear tho, this kid is a Shanahan type of receiver. A star in the making I think, he does everything good, and can be great..This scheme is exactly him..

thought Shanahan loved those SPARQ athletes. Ridley is not one of them.

I think Calvin Ridley or Courtland Sutton could be surprise picks for us at 9....
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
*An
Davenport= Arik Armstead
Where's Jaire Alexander on this list?
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Mar 21, 2018 at 7:59 AM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
An offensive player.
Share 49ersWebzone