LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Who do u think the niners will pick at #9

Who do u think the niners will pick at #9

I think we will pick Edmunds if he is there. I have no idea if he will be there at #9. But he might be. Is he worth a top 10 pick? Perhaps he is. He is somewhat of a tweener. Is he an OLB or a DE? Or does it matter at all? He can rush the QB and make some tackles for a loss. So maybe it doesn't matter how you categorize him.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I think they want pass rush above all else. But I also think they will try to secure that while recouping their mid 2nd round pick.
I don't know guys. You almost have to assume Foster isn't going to play at least 10 games due to violation of substance abuse policy and DV. We are also at risk of losing Foster to another DV incident, which would be a lifetime ban. Smartest pick would be Roquan Smith.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
I don't know guys. You almost have to assume Foster isn't going to play at least 10 games due to violation of substance abuse policy and DV. We are also at risk of losing Foster to another DV incident, which would be a lifetime ban. Smartest pick would be Roquan Smith.

We just picked ILB/MLB last year. No way we pick it again. That's a waste.
Marcus Davenport (best fit for 4-3 DE)
I think we will trade down and target Landry
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
It's tough to say, we'll get a clearer picture draft day after Denver, Tampa Bay and Chicago make their selections.

lol Way to go out on a limb

If Davenport is still available I think he will be the pick if they stick at 9. However, I believe they will trade down.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I got this bad feeling Shanahan will take Courtland Sutton at #9.
They're gonna pick a trade down.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

That would be a tremendous move and totally unlike KS, so I don't see it happening.

How many of this type thread we need? I think what I thought in the other 50 threads
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

That would be a tremendous move and totally unlike KS, so I don't see it happening.

Well I'm just going off some past notes and moves not made from Shanahan. Shanahan stated something like "There's size missing" in regards to the receivers. And not making any real moves for any of the top receivers this past couple days. We'll see what happens, but Roquan Smith is my guy I'm hoping for.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Well I'm just going off some past notes and moves not made from Shanahan. Shanahan stated something like "There's size missing" in regards to the receivers. And not making any real moves for any of the top receivers this past couple days. We'll see what happens, but Roquan Smith is my guy I'm hoping for.
This one?
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/270242/in-search-for-receivers-49ers-not-getting-caught-up-on-size
It's a notion Shanahan doesn't necessarily subscribe to unless the player checks more boxes than simply being tall.

"You don't have to have that to win," Shanahan said. "Where people make mistakes is 'We need a big, tall red zone target like Julio' and then you go pay everyone else in the world who I can promise you isn't like Julio. Now you can't go get a tight end, you can't go get a guard. Yeah, you've got that big guy and stuff, but he's got to be the right guy. There's lots of ways to do it. If he has an elite trait, we'll use it.

"...But if that's the only elite trait is size, you only can put him in on the 5-yard line and throw him a jump ball. And now we have this guy that we only use on the 5-yard line who doesn't help on special teams, can't play on the field and you only dress five receivers, one guy goes down, the fourth guy is your punt returner and now you have a guy who is just a big, slow jump-ball guy who has got to play over the whole field and now you are losing because of it. You don't just go 'Hey, we need a big guy.' We need good receivers. They come in all shapes and sizes, and whatever the opportunities come, you use it as a coach the best you can."
  • jcs
  • Veteran
This one is also good
https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/1/10/16872606/kyle-shanahan-49ers-receiver-marquise-goodwin-pierre-garcon-andrew-hawkins

"Very rarely do teams with a top wide receiver win the Super Bowl," Hawkins said. "That's just not what it takes. I think you can find good receivers (everywhere). The top guys are not Super Bowl winners. Over the last 15 years, you can look at the teams with top wide receivers, and they don't win Super Bowls. I don't think that's a coincidence, because I think it's more of a chemistry thing. When you have that big time receiver who commands the ball so much, or you're trying to get him the ball in certain situations, I think it kind of hurts the chemistry of the offense."

What he says definitely makes sense, though it's not a strict rule by any means, especially the very last thing he says about chemistry. The part that is more interesting, though, is when he talks about what the wide receiver does in Kyle Shanahan's offense. Hawkins played under Shanahan in Cleveland, and offered some insight on the kind of guys he likes.

"He needs a speed guy. He needs a guy who is faster than everybody else on the field. That's a big part of his offense. He needs a tough guy. He needs a guy who is going to catch the ball over the middle, be tough as nails and be a little versatile. He needs a third down guy, who has great hands and will, under any circumstance, can move the sticks."
I do think it will come down to one of those guys you listed, especially if we don't sign any lbs in FA. Our overall linebacker squad is probably the worst in the league so I'd be fine with any of those guys except Davenport
Share 49ersWebzone