LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Rule limiting player OTA availability(Pac12..etc) has been changed

This rule was changed awhile back but I continue to see people posting lack of availability from players coming from schools with late graduation dates as a con. That is no longer an issue. The decision will now be left up to the individual player as to when they want to report.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
I don't believe this rule had anything to do with the College's or drafted player's position. It had to do with the NFL's own stance on players attending workouts pre-spring semester end. But I could be wrong.
Originally posted by Geeked:
I don't believe this rule had anything to do with the College's or drafted player's position. It had to do with the NFL's own stance on players attending workouts pre-spring semester end. But I could be wrong.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here but it seems you're making this too complicated.

The bottomline is that the rule which prohibited players who hadn't yet graduated from schools on the quarter system from attending certain preseason activities unlike most other rookies, which put these players behind the proverbial 8-ball such as with Solomon Thomas last year, is no longer in effect.

As a result, prospects from Stanford, UCLA, Oregon and other schools on the same system will no longer be required to miss offseason activities, regardless of graduation status.
Bout time. Thanks for the post.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
This is good. This is 100% why I believe Thomas was slow getting his footing last year. It's tough to make it in the NFL period but starting 3 months behind makes it even worse.
Good. Definitely good.
This is really good for guys like Harrison Phillips and Kolton Miller. Missing any OTAs is bad for player development and puts them behind the eight ball right away. I think this was part of the reason Solomon Thomas had a slow start to the year. With a full year's off-season work, he should be much improved.
Very nice rule change. Since the niners love Oregon and Stanford players it would be nice to not have them wait.
Few years too late
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Bout time. Thanks for the post.

Agreed. About time they did this

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I have no idea what you're trying to say here but it seems you're making this too complicated.

The bottomline is that the rule which prohibited players who hadn't yet graduated from schools on the quarter system from attending certain preseason activities unlike most other rookies, which put these players behind the proverbial 8-ball such as with Solomon Thomas last year, is no longer in effect.

As a result, prospects from Stanford, UCLA, Oregon and other schools on the same system will no longer be required to miss offseason activities, regardless of graduation status.

My point is this rule was an NFL rule, not College. Once the player declares, they're no longer bound by NCAA or institution rules. They can do whatever they want.

Basketball for some reason is different as a player may declare and withdrawal without sacrificing their remaining eligibility.
[ Edited by Geeked on Mar 12, 2018 at 10:59 AM ]
Good
My point is this rule was an NFL rule, not College. Once the player declares, they're no longer bound by NCAA or institution rules. They can do whatever they want.

Basketball for some reason is different as a player may declare and withdrawal without sacrificing their remaining eligibility.

Where did anyone state that it was a college rule?

Additionally why would it matter eitherway?

Regardless of what school you went to or graduation status, all rookies are now allowed to report at the same time.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Few years too late

Yeah, Solly and Garnett could have used some more reps.
Share 49ersWebzone