LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Draft Format Change Idea

I read a few days ago that there are front office people that want to expand the draft to 10 rounds. I got to thinking today that it might be pretty cool to have two drafts. One for defense and one for offense. Each draft would have 5 rounds. Picks could be traded between the different drafts (ex. a team could trade their 1st round pick in the offensive draft for a pick in the defensive draft).

Thoughts?
Sorry hate it.
So the worse team ( team with the top pick ) will get the best offense and best defensive player ?
  • thl408
I have an even better idea, an 11 round draft.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
I read a few days ago that there are front office people that want to expand the draft to 10 rounds. I got to thinking today that it might be pretty cool to have two drafts. One for defense and one for offense. Each draft would have 5 rounds. Picks could be traded between the different drafts (ex. a team could trade their 1st round pick in the offensive draft for a pick in the defensive draft).

Thoughts?

One of them ones that sounds better in your head...
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

Would there be 6 offensive rounds or 6 defensive rounds?

Thoughts?

• thl408
Originally posted by krizay:

Would there be 6 offensive rounds or 6 defensive rounds?

That would make it a 12 round draft and that's ridiculous. No respectable sport would have a 12 round draft. Let's not talk crazy. 5 rounds offense, 5 defense, 1 for kickers/punters/longsnappers.

Edit: my bad krizay, you said "or".
[ Edited by thl408 on Mar 6, 2018 at 9:59 AM ]
So the Browns would get the best defensive player and offensive player. Yeah I'd rather have a lottery for the first pick
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
So the Browns would get the best defensive player and offensive player. Yeah I'd rather have a lottery for the first pick

No, whoever picked behind the Browns would.

Originally posted by krizay:

Thoughts?

One of them ones that sounds better in your head...

Yeah, I came to that conclusion after I typed it out, but thought it was worth posting just for the fun of it.
That would make it a 12 round draft and that's ridiculous. No respectable sport would have a 12 round draft. Let's not talk crazy.

The NFL had a 12 round draft (and before that a 17 round draft) until 1993.

The UDFA scramble every year is definitely an argument for going back to longer drafts.

I mean, last year the 9ers signed 18 UDFAs, which is like an extra 18 rounds of picks.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Thoughts?

The only people who would want more rounds are the NFL. Add an extra round get another 2 hours of TV time with advertising. I'm sure the UDFA would prefer to keep it as is due to them being able to pick the team they sign with as most of them have multiple suiters.
Just who on earth is pushing for a 10 round draft? I haven't heard this anywhere! Why is this even needed?

Originally posted by valrod33:

Man, the season needs to hurry up and get here, because offseason idle minds is a "hellofa drug".
Share 49ersWebzone