LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 300 users in the forums

DJ Chark WR LSU

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
There is a lot to like. He has to be skyrocketing up the draft boards now. I just wonder why his #'s aren't better? He can't put up 1,000 yards? He can't put up more than 3 TD's? Something doesn't add up here? I don't get it?

Ground and pound offense. Low grade game manager at QB. Chark was often used like a decoy. His production issues weren't because he wasn't getting open.

His Senior Bowl highlights look pretty good and very explosive. He gets deep and open and makes game breaking plays. With his talent 3 TD's all year long is still pretty bad though. I would expect him to get some dump offs in the flat and just take it the distance with his speed. 3 TD's just seems bad to me. He should create more than that on his own even if they didn't throw to him deep a lot. There is too much speed and size there for 3 TD's. But his Senior Bowl highlights look pretty impressive. No doubt about that.
LSU WRs quite often outplay their draft position as well. Mainly due to the design of the offense. LSU at one time had Jarvis Landry, OBJ, heremy Hill, Alfred blue etc on the same team.
It's so crazy how LSU always recruits top WRs but not the top QBs or at least get them, if LSU WRs had good not even great QBs the WRs would put up major numbers..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
It's so crazy how LSU always recruits top WRs but not the top QBs or at least get them, if LSU WRs had good not even great QBs the WRs would put up major numbers..

It's like why the f**k go there if you don't get utilized correctly. Like cmon now Cledis, come on.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
There is a lot to like. He has to be skyrocketing up the draft boards now. I just wonder why his #'s aren't better? He can't put up 1,000 yards? He can't put up more than 3 TD's? Something doesn't add up here? I don't get it?

probably just the scheme and poor QB play. He had some amazing games though. Primarily was a big play receiver. Didnt show consistency but probably because he wasnt given the chance. He showed in the Senior Bowl that he can consistently terrorize a defense.

Would love this guy in the 2nd round. has the potential to be a top 5 WR. Im always wary of these late risers but this guy seems like he has it all. Checks off all the boxes.

yeah lsu always have stud skill players but never the qb. the best qb they ever had was russell lol
SD...LSU isn't exactly a WR haven...they like to run the ball and did so effectively. Chard could've put up monster numbers if LSU had a top QB and they passed more. Given his size, speed and athleticism, you have to believe Shanahan will be very excited about him. I sure am. He lit it up at the Senior Bowl, too.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
SD...LSU isn't exactly a WR haven...they like to run the ball and did so effectively. Chard could've put up monster numbers if LSU had a top QB and they passed more. Given his size, speed and athleticism, you have to believe Shanahan will be very excited about him. I sure am. He lit it up at the Senior Bowl, too.

He did really well and I like him. The 3 TD's all year long still scares me though. He should catch something out on the flat and take the distance with just his speed or break or elude some tackles in the middle of the field and get some TD's on his own. A guy with his size and speed is capable of 3 TD's in a game. How he can have just 3 all year long scares me. The size and speed is there though and he had a real good Senior Bowl and an excellent combine. Maybe but they need to examine the film carefully. He should do more just on his own talent even with a bad QB with that much speed and size.
I like Chark, Cobbs, and St. Brown a lot. All big guys with decent to good hands and speed.
[ Edited by WINiner on Mar 4, 2018 at 4:51 AM ]
He did really well and I like him. The 3 TD's all year long still scares me though. He should catch something out on the flat and take the distance with just his speed or break or elude some tackles in the middle of the field and get some TD's on his own. A guy with his size and speed is capable of 3 TD's in a game. How he can have just 3 all year long scares me. The size and speed is there though and he had a real good Senior Bowl and an excellent combine. Maybe but they need to examine the film carefully. He should do more just on his own talent even with a bad QB with that much speed and size.
I m sure if he had a hand in the play calling he would've done some of the things you mentioned. That's just wasn't possible at LSU. For those wondering why pass catchers go there, it's tradition and it's the SEC. The most televised games, historic winning program, and you play in the best bowl games. The fact that WRs have success making into the league, don't expect LSU to stop attracting and producing NFL caliber wideouts.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
This guy reminds me of Darius Heyward Bey - good height/speed combo, but no numbers to show for it. I think Jimmy can probably make a star out of him, though.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 4, 2018 at 5:48 AM ]

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

As has been pointed out, he did not have a quarterback that could get him the ball consistently, and the LSU game plan reflects that, as well as his stats.
Chark is my guy.

While he may takw some time become a well rounded receiver he is going to be a game changing punt returner as a rookie. He can flip the field in a heart beat. He is also a major threat on reverses and had 4 rushing TD's.

Also, In Shanahan's playaction offense a guy with a devastating double move like Chark will light up defenses.
To me, Chark is too much of a one-trick pony to be in that top tier of WRs. I love that he can take the top off of a defense. I just don't see enough skill in short and intermediate routes.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
To me, Chark is too much of a one-trick pony to be in that top tier of WRs. I love that he can take the top off of a defense. I just don't see enough skill in short and intermediate routes.

But would you take him in the 3rd or 4th? No way would I touch him in the 1st even with a trade down.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

But would you take him in the 3rd or 4th? No way would I touch him in the 1st even with a trade down.

Sure, His value to me begins in the third round.
Share 49ersWebzone