LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

MadDog49er Combine Primer

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by gored49:
Key - No way I see that happening. I would bet a lot of money. Not because I like him but because that just screams of a Seahawks 2nd round pick... which with our luck would pay off and piss us all off.

Bryan - I don't know how this guy isn't getting more love. I posted a topic about him and nobody seemed to jump on the bandwagon. Let's see if it finally starts after the combine.

Key is a dog to me. One trick pony that simply didn't work in 2017. Adds zero in run defense.

Bryan is a player who has so much physical talent, but is really inconsistent. I think the desire is there, but he simply doesn't have a feel for the game that I want in a high draft choice.

Agree on both points.

I just see a lot of potential with Bryan and those times he shows the rare ability to completely destroy a pocket will have teams talking I believe. If he blows up the combine then I fully expect that talk to get louder.

Thanks for the reply and sharing your thoughts. Love draft talk.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rivercity:
Surprised not to see Tremaine Edmunds on this first list. thoughts? I imagine you saying something about athleticism vs. lack of instincts.

Way too risky a pick for me anywhere in the first round. Great physical talent, but field awareness and instincts are shaky. Great wrap-up tackler. Puts on a clinic in tackling

...but he will be a 1st round pick. Certainly top 15. Likely top 10. Need to have him included in these as he is as likely as anyone else to be selected.
[ Edited by okdkid on Feb 27, 2018 at 1:39 PM ]
Two guys I didn't mention but really like late in the season are Bama DT Da'Ron Payne and Boise St LB Leighton Vander Esch. Both looked like future NFL stars in their last game, and played with a lot more consistency late in the year. While Payne should not blow away the combine with his athleticism, Vander Esch will be a name talked about a lot after Indi. His Oregon game is really, really good; as good as any LB play I saw in college football this year. I think both are first rounders.
Surprised not to see Tremaine Edmunds on this first list. thoughts? I imagine you saying something about athleticism vs. lack of instincts.

Way too risky a pick for me anywhere in the first round. Great physical talent, but field awareness and instincts are shaky. Great wrap-up tackler. Puts on a clinic in tackling

Reportedly, he's working a lot on developing as an edge rusher. I think that'll be his best spot in the NFL, since he has great tools for it, will likely put on 20+ pounds as he matures (he's 19), and it would demand less of him in the read and react aspect of the game. That said, I think that puts him in the same category as Marcus Davenport: a gifted edge with raw technique. I think Davenport would have to go before him though, as he has much more experience doing what he'll succeed at in the NFL.
Thanks MadDog
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Reportedly, he's working a lot on developing as an edge rusher. I think that'll be his best spot in the NFL, since he has great tools for it, will likely put on 20+ pounds as he matures (he's 19), and it would demand less of him in the read and react aspect of the game. That said, I think that puts him in the same category as Marcus Davenport: a gifted edge with raw technique. I think Davenport would have to go before him though, as he has much more experience doing what he'll succeed at in the NFL.

If you're comparing them straight up solely as pass rushers, of course. But if your scenario is accurate, teams will say "well, I think he can rush the passer AND I already know he can dominate in all the other areas". Whereas you wouldn't be able to follow that logic for a guy like Davenport -- he'll never be a sideline to sideline guy.

Just saying -- IF (big if) NFL GMs convince themselves Edmunds can rush the passer with any frequency -- he is a lock top 10 (likely higher) pick. And certainly drafted before Davenport.
I have seen the torches. Posted Edmunds.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I have seen the torches. Posted Edmunds.

Thank you!

Surprised you mentioned him as a very good pass rusher. His detractors would say otherwise.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Gimme who you think the 49ers should look at as of today, MD, not taking into account FA.
I'm really liking the idea of Marcus Davenport more and more every day. I hope he show out at the combine. Just not too much. Lol

Can't dive into this until later.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by daragon:
I'm really liking the idea of Marcus Davenport more and more every day. I hope he show out at the combine. Just not too much. Lol

Yeah, if he blows it up - he could rise into the top 15.

So if we draft him he would be our leo instead of a potential mike or will?
Hi MadDog,
It's always a pleasure to read your analysis.

I would like to know your opinion about Korey Robertson of Southern Miss.

Along with DJ More he is my favourite wr in the draft and I think he should create some buzz during the combine beacuse he is a physical specimen.
[ Edited by Decima_Mas on Feb 27, 2018 at 2:36 PM ]
Originally posted by gold49digger:

So if we draft him he would be our leo instead of a potential mike or will?

I would think SAM, also usable at WILL or even MIKE in a pinch. We need flexibility. LEO could be Alex Okafor, free agent, or Armstead.
Share 49ersWebzone