There are 131 users in the forums

Trading up to #2

Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I think if he gets passed the Browns we start making calls at #6. I'd be happy to give up our extra 3rd this year and a pick swap next year.

If he makes it past the Browns at 4 the only team ahead of the 9ers who might take him would be the Bucs at 7, and Fitzpatrick or Ward are both areas of bigger need and better value for them.

Edit: assuming the 9ers win the coin flip against the Raiders. Gruden is nutty enough to go offense at 9 or 10 even though he shouldn't, and I can totally see him going for the Barkley splash in his first year back.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Feb 23, 2018 at 7:06 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I think if he gets passed the Browns we start making calls at #6. I'd be happy to give up our extra 3rd this year and a pick swap next year.

If he makes it past the Browns at 4 the only team ahead of the 9ers who might take him would be the Bucs at 7, and Fitzpatrick or Ward are both areas of bigger need and better value for them.

Edit: assuming the 9ers win the coin flip against the Raiders. Gruden is nutty enough to go offense at 9 or 10 even though he shouldn't, and I can totally see him going for the Barkley splash in his first year back.

Broncos are in play though less likely. Still with rumors they could cut Anderson, Barkley could be an enticing pick.

Jets have no true lead back so the Jets are also in play.

If either of these teams land Cousins then the potential for them taking Barkley goes up as they will not be in the QB market. A veteran QB signing not named Cousins can also alter the course of what those two teams do at 5 and 6 as they could decide to pursue an option later if they are not sold on who might be available at 5 or 6.

Fitzpatrick and Ward may represent better value from a positional standpoint but from a draft value standpoint Barkley would possibly be the higher rated prospect. And then there is Oakland who could take him (or leapfrog us if he falls and they lose the coin toss) as well as even Miami and Washington as teams who could be interested in jumping up to get Barkley if he fell.
We should save our picks.
Trade up to 2? wtf hell no

Trade up to 6 to take Chubb or Nelson before the Bucs? Maybe.

Trade back?
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
If we're trading to #2 in a top heavy QB class, you're going to have to send in the farm to beat the offers from QB needy teams.
[ Edited by TheNef77 on Feb 23, 2018 at 10:16 AM ]
Yes, totally worth it to mortgage your draft class to move up to the top and grab a RB. Just ask legendary idiot Mike Ditka!

https://www.pe.com/2016/04/15/nfl-mike-ditka8217s-trade-for-ricky-williams-remains-blockbuster-to-measure-by/
[ Edited by OneMoreRing on Feb 23, 2018 at 10:26 AM ]
For who though? Chubb is nice but not a miles garrett prospect. Barkley is nice but there is a realistic chance he falls, plus he's a rb in a super deep rb draft. The last prospect I really wanted us to trade up for was Jalen Ramsey, and no one is is that intriguing in this draft.
The whiners in the Zone will scram that JL/KS are failures for not trading up for him.

NO - we will NEVER trade up for Barkley.
If the Jets don't get Cousins, we don't sign a pass rusher in FA and Chubb is still available at pick #6, we could trade pick #9/10 and pick #70 to the Jets for #6 overall. Jets would only be moving behind teams that already have QB's.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I realize coaching change, scheme change, but has an NFL franchise ever drafted a DL as their top pick (1st round) for four consecutive drafts?

Originally posted by gold49digger:
For who though? Chubb is nice but not a miles garrett prospect. Barkley is nice but there is a realistic chance he falls, plus he's a rb in a super deep rb draft. The last prospect I really wanted us to trade up for was Jalen Ramsey, and no one is is that intriguing in this draft.

No way Barkley falls even in a deep RB class. Figuratively speaking, he is in another league compared to the rest. There are no other obvious game changers other than Barkley and he isn't going to fall anywhere near us so let's just say bye bye to the game changer who slipped through our fingers due to another game changer who won us some games.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
I agree that Saquon is not worth a trade up at #2, but what if he fell to #7. Would you still think a trade up is not worth it?

He gets to within reach we can easily see them trying to trade for him. Once free agency begins and ends our main needs could or should be filled.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We should save our picks.

Agreed.

Lynch / Shanny don't know what a panic button is, I trust they'll make the right moves
Originally posted by Jcool:

Bingo!
People on this thread are so funny in reference to not needing sanquan Barkley because we can get a RB later. If Barkley turns out to be what he's expected to be, then of course it makes sense! There's like 5 stars in every draft and if he's one of them, then you do what you can to get him. People act like it's all about checking boxes on the positions you draft. Like getting a CB in the 7th who won't start is good enough because, hey, we got a corner!

I like Josh Jackson at 10 over Barkley at 2, and don't agree with the trade, but it's certainly a reasonable thought if the giants are willing and the browns don't pull a Browns and draft him at #1
Share 49ersWebzone