There are 228 users in the forums

Trading up to #2

Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
I wouldn't trade up to spot # 2 for Saquon, but certainly trade up if he falls closer to us. Barkley is a game changer in case you all didn't know and he and JimmyG would make us lethal on offense. There is no other game changer that we know of so the rest would be a crap shoot, except Nelson who I'd love to have.

Trading up for a RB when we have so many other needs just doesn't make sense. Hell Ronald Jones or Sony Michel could be just as amazing in this offense and we can trade DOWN and draft them while addressing other needs.

The only guy worth trading up for is Chubb...and I still wouldn't do that.
Originally posted by genus49:
I wouldn't trade up to spot # 2 for Saquon, but certainly trade up if he falls closer to us. Barkley is a game changer in case you all didn't know and he and JimmyG would make us lethal on offense. There is no other game changer that we know of so the rest would be a crap shoot, except Nelson who I'd love to have.

Trading up for a RB when we have so many other needs just doesn't make sense. Hell Ronald Jones or Sony Michel could be just as amazing in this offense and we can trade DOWN and draft them while addressing other needs.

Addressing other needs does not necessarily mean those needs will be addressed. There is a higher risk in drafting high with players that look good, but who are not game changers. Let's be real, Buckner and Armstead and Thomas all looked good, but were far from game changers and they are not where we all hoped they would be for where they were drafted. If Barkley falls within reach of us, you pull the trigger hands down. Those other two running backs you mentioned are not game changers.

If Nelson does not fall to us, we need to trade down 'cause I'm not at all impressed with anyone around our spot.
Totally agree with you Genius49. I've seen Saquon in person...not impressed. Seen RJlll and Sony Michel in person, nice skills but, not worth a #2. Need an edge rusher and some solid protection for Jimmy G AND some other guys to throw to amongst other things

Originally posted by NinerTy:
Totally agree with you Genius49. I've seen Saquon in person...not impressed. Seen RJlll and Sony Michel in person, nice skills but, not worth a #2. Need an edge rusher and some solid protection for Jimmy G AND some other guys to throw to amongst other things

I agree that Saquon is not worth a trade up at #2, but what if he fell to #7. Would you still think a trade up is not worth it?
[ Edited by LionHeartofGold on Feb 21, 2018 at 8:35 PM ]

For what it's worth... JIMMY G made Marquis Goodwin a game changer.... Who beforehand wasn't even used!
Trade up in a draft which is lacking in true Top 5 level talent?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
The chances of this fantasy happening is as good as this guy's chance of getting a hot date w/out using any money #ZERO

Addressing other needs does not necessarily mean those needs will be addressed. There is a higher risk in drafting high with players that look good, but who are not game changers. Let's be real, Buckner and Armstead and Thomas all looked good, but were far from game changers and they are not where we all hoped they would be for where they were drafted. If Barkley falls within reach of us, you pull the trigger hands down. Those other two running backs you mentioned are not game changers.

If Nelson does not fall to us, we need to trade down 'cause I'm not at all impressed with anyone around our spot.

You need to leave Buckner out of this. He is top 3 @ his position imo.
Originally posted by DeHubb:
Giants needing to improve there Oline and with most drafts i see the Giants taking Saquan Barkley at #2. He isnt a bigger need over improving the Oline. So with that being said. The Giants moving down and grabbing a guy in Quenton Nelson, Connor Williams and Orlando Brown. They would still have the chance of grabbing Ronald Jones or Derruis Guice in the 2nd.

Whats the cost of going from #9 up to #2??

As a rough guide it would take our entire draft this year PLUS our number 1 pick next year. So it would only happen (excluding the idiocy of a Mike Ditka) when a strong team needed a franchise qb.

So no. You can bet your life on it.
Lynch and co. wouldn't do that. We are in a good spot at #9, plenty of talent there.

STOP

Those guys aren't game changers? Said who? Jones and Michel could be deadly in Kyle's scheme.

And Barkley is great but we don't need an elite back to run this ball control offense. You're taking the ball away from Jimmy by doing that. You see what Jimmy was able to do with what we had? Either give him more time so he doesn't get killed after every throw or improve the defense so he doesn't have to be perfect to win.

Barkley alone isn't a game changer. Great talent but not worth trading up for. If he falls to us then that's another story.
In this scenario, Id rather be in the Giants position and trade down to 9 and pick up Nelson... yeah, thats not happening either.

Id definitely trade UP for Quentin Nelson but is it really plausible the Giants are considering him. They need to not miss a qb though.

This draft is going to be crazy, right as the first pick is announced.
Wow, I thought I was Barkley's biggest fan, there's no way you trade the farm and the farmhouse.

I think if he gets passed the Browns we start making calls at #6. I'd be happy to give up our extra 3rd this year and a pick swap next year.

That is to get an elite guy, so Barkley or Nelson.

However if we evaluate Roquan, Ward, Jackson, Ridley, Minkah, Edmunds or someone else in that tier highly enough then we should stand pat.
Share 49ersWebzone