LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Sean Welsh, G, Iowa

6'2" 300 lbs

Welsh is another one of them good ol' Iowa ZBS OL that will surely be on Kyle's radar. Classic day-three Shanahan profile: Undersized and underpowered but tough with good technique and solid athleticism. Dude has an interesting story of overcoming depression. Already has multiple years of experience as a starter doing exactly what Kyle would ask of him at the NFL level. I'm sure Kyle has a good feel for the Iowa players given the amount of time he spent studying CJ and Kittle.

Welsh is not physically imposing off the bus, and looks a bit out of place on an Iowa line filled with huge players. But his versatility, toughness, and mobility earned him a starting role since his freshman season. Welsh started all 13 games in 2017, 10 at right guard and three at right tackle, to earn second-team All-Big Ten recognition. He was a second team USA Today All-American and third-team All-Conference honors as a junior, starting 12 games (11 at right guard, one at right tackle). Welsh started every game his sophomore season at left guard (12 games) or right tackle (two), and was voted honorable mention All-Big Ten by league coaches for his efforts. Even as a redshirt freshman Welsh earned honors, as the Big Ten Network's website gave him first-team freshman All-Big Ten accolades after he started nine of the 13 games in which he played (seven at left guard, two at right guard). Welsh worked out at center in the spring of 2016, his likely pro position, but moved back to guard to get the best five guys up front.
ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Good lower body thickness with broad waist. Low center of gravity provides solid base and contact balance through the rep. Possesses adequate athletic ability to transition from guard to center. Well-schooled and works well in double teams. Comes out low and maintains quality pad level with initial quickness to execute reach blocks with leverage and proper positioning. Has enough bend to generate thrust into initial contact. Uses short, controlled steps in his change of direction. Can redirect his weight to adjust his target point on second level and is able to catch and pin stunts. Mirrors effectively in pass protection.

WEAKNESSES Undersized by NFL standards as an interior lineman. While initial quickness is solid, his athletic ability is nothing special when asked to get into space as a blocker. Lacks pop behind his pads as drive blocker and pull blocker. Athletic defensive tackles can leave him on his face with sudden arm-over moves off the snap. Has tendency to default to grabbing when his hand technique gets off schedule. Is good in early part of rep, but inconsistent as a finisher.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 5-6

NFL COMPARISON Austin Blythe

BOTTOM LINE Capable interior lineman who will likely move to the center spot due to his lack of size and length. While Welsh isn't physically weak, he doesn't have the mass and pure power to win one-on-one matchups and he is best-suited for teams who lean on inside zone running plays. Welsh's solid technique and potential to swing from center to guard in a pinch will benefit his roster chances. Welsh has decent talent, but below average physical traits which could force him into a purgatory between starter and backup.

[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 21, 2018 at 8:40 AM ]
Yes! I threw something up about him in the OL thread...perfect ZB OG that Kyle loves.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 21, 2018 at 1:50 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
On of the guys i tried to fit into my mock. I see us drafting him over Daniels personally.

Dual position and can be had later most likely.
5th rounder?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
5th rounder?

Yup, Welsh will go somewhere on day 3.
Guy seems like a warrior, but his size scares me. Esp. with Bennett always bulldozing us, Brockers always bulldozing us, I don't want JG hurt..
I like
He might be good for depth...the guy I want to see Lynch draft to start is Isiaih Wynn. He's perfect for Coach's ZBS schemes. He'd also be a very good b/u C.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
He might be good for depth...the guy I want to see Lynch draft to start is Isiaih Wynn. He's perfect for Coach's ZBS schemes. He'd also be a very good b/u C.

Gonna cost a 1st or moving back up into the end of the 1st early 2nd...we gotta check out all these mid tier guys cause that might be who we end up going after...guys that are pure ZB guards.

FYI I like Wynn a lot, only way I see it happening is moving down or giving up picks.
One of the benefits of running a zbs is that we can spend late draft capital on undersized OL that can move. Nice find.

Originally posted by Lobo49er:
One of the benefits of running a zbs is that we can spend late draft capital on undersized OL that can move. Nice find.

I bet our scouts have had their eyes on him since last year, pouring over tape of Beathard
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
5th rounder?

Yup, Welsh will go somewhere on day 3.

That's perfect. If we sign a guard he'd be setup to come along slowly but surely. I wouldn't even mind a red shirt special if they think it would benefit him and the team.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
This guy will get asswhooped by nfl interior linemen.
Dude is built like my uncle. Huge kegger on his waist.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Dude is built like my uncle. Huge kegger on his waist.

Lol. He definitely looked like ass out there compared to guys like Braden Smith
Share 49ersWebzone