There are 168 users in the forums

Leighton Vander Esch-LB-Boise State

He can get out there in coverage.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
OVERVIEWVander Esch's family made headlines before the Las Vegas Bowl in December, and his play during the team's win over Oregon made the headlines afterwards. The Vander Esch's cruised from Idaho to Las Vegas in a big bus adorned with the Leighton's picture, number, and team colors. The 2017 Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year paid off their trip with 12 tackles, three for loss, a sack, and a forced fumble. He was also the Mountain West Championship Game MVP with 16 tackles and a game-sealing interception. The first-team all-conference pick totaled 141 tackles, 8.5 for loss, four sacks, four pass breakups, and four forced fumbles in his junior season. Vander Esch was limited to six games due to injuries in 2016 (27 tackles, 3.5 for loss, one sack, one interception), and was a reserve for 12 games the previous year as a redshirt freshman (20 tackles, sack). He led Salmon River High in Idaho to state titles in football and basketball as a junior and senior.
ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Big, long and athletic. Has history of achievement with dominant performances and state titles in two sports in high school. Former basketball standout with fluid hips and smooth movement around the field. Almost no delay in his change of direction. Has agility and quick-twitch for sudden lateral bursts in his slides to close out slashers. Triggers with compact burst to the ball. Works under climbing blockers to stay clean. Easy sideline-to-sideline range as tackler. Has athletic ability to recover and tackle despite over pursuit. Widens frame and opens arms to welcome his prey as a tackler. Generally wraps up. Very talented in coverage. Quick but smooth in his drops. Mirrors quarterback's eyes with ability to redirect from side to side as he follows. Uses active, catch-ready hands to breakup the pass or take it away. Shows real rush talent and instincts as a blitzer. May have enough ability to beat a tackle as edge rusher from time to time.

WEAKNESSES Has just one year of starting experience. Still filling out his frame. Play strength has room for improvement. Has some struggles in taking on blocks and will get washed away by down blocks. Hasn't learned to use hands effectively to punch and separate. Takes himself out of tackle opportunities by attacking iso-blocks and lead blocks with a shoulder. At times, will over pursue or run himself out of position in attempt to play fast and avoid having to deal with blockers.DRAFT

PROJECTION Rounds 1-2

NFL COMPARISON Karlos Dansby (early version)

BOTTOM LINE Vander Esch is a loose-hipped, instinctive linebacker who played in 2017 like he had a GPS tracker on the football. His production totals against both the run and pass are rare for being a first-year starter and with a frame that is primed for more muscle, his NFL ceiling is high. Vander Esch might benefit from a reduced role his rookie season while he improves his play strength and becomes more skilled at taking on blocks. He's an every-down linebacker with very good starting potential and the talent to fill up a stat sheet.

He's another reason why I am all for trading down multiple times in the 1st. Give me Vander-Esch, Ronald Jones and a couple of other picks or just one. Or DJ Moore, Ronald Jones..etc.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
OVERVIEWVander Esch's family made headlines before the Las Vegas Bowl in December, and his play during the team's win over Oregon made the headlines afterwards. The Vander Esch's cruised from Idaho to Las Vegas in a big bus adorned with the Leighton's picture, number, and team colors. The 2017 Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year paid off their trip with 12 tackles, three for loss, a sack, and a forced fumble. He was also the Mountain West Championship Game MVP with 16 tackles and a game-sealing interception. The first-team all-conference pick totaled 141 tackles, 8.5 for loss, four sacks, four pass breakups, and four forced fumbles in his junior season. Vander Esch was limited to six games due to injuries in 2016 (27 tackles, 3.5 for loss, one sack, one interception), and was a reserve for 12 games the previous year as a redshirt freshman (20 tackles, sack). He led Salmon River High in Idaho to state titles in football and basketball as a junior and senior.
ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Big, long and athletic. Has history of achievement with dominant performances and state titles in two sports in high school. Former basketball standout with fluid hips and smooth movement around the field. Almost no delay in his change of direction. Has agility and quick-twitch for sudden lateral bursts in his slides to close out slashers. Triggers with compact burst to the ball. Works under climbing blockers to stay clean. Easy sideline-to-sideline range as tackler. Has athletic ability to recover and tackle despite over pursuit. Widens frame and opens arms to welcome his prey as a tackler. Generally wraps up. Very talented in coverage. Quick but smooth in his drops. Mirrors quarterback's eyes with ability to redirect from side to side as he follows. Uses active, catch-ready hands to breakup the pass or take it away. Shows real rush talent and instincts as a blitzer. May have enough ability to beat a tackle as edge rusher from time to time.

WEAKNESSES Has just one year of starting experience. Still filling out his frame. Play strength has room for improvement. Has some struggles in taking on blocks and will get washed away by down blocks. Hasn't learned to use hands effectively to punch and separate. Takes himself out of tackle opportunities by attacking iso-blocks and lead blocks with a shoulder. At times, will over pursue or run himself out of position in attempt to play fast and avoid having to deal with blockers.DRAFT

PROJECTION Rounds 1-2

BOTTOM LINE Vander Esch is a loose-hipped, instinctive linebacker who played in 2017 like he had a GPS tracker on the football. His production totals against both the run and pass are rare for being a first-year starter and with a frame that is primed for more muscle, his NFL ceiling is high. Vander Esch might benefit from a reduced role his rookie season while he improves his play strength and becomes more skilled at taking on blocks. He's an every-down linebacker with very good starting potential and the talent to fill up a stat sheet.

He's another reason why I am all for trading down multiple times in the 1st. Give me Vander-Esch, Ronald Jones and a couple of other picks or just one. Or DJ Moore, Ronald Jones..etc.

After this week and Foster's meltdown, I will agree with you there. Need to add two LB's now (Mike and a Leo) at a minimum plus all the other holes that aren't filled in free agency. Trading down to also add draft capital for next year is always a good idea.
ANALYSIS

PROJECTION Rounds 1-2

I like your thinking! Given the current situation we ARE STILL set up nicely!
I became a fan of LVE after seeing a few of Boise St's games. Dude is all over the field, can rush the passer and makes a lot of tackles. Also excellent in pass coverage. Tall, rangy LB's who have that kind of skill set are pretty valuable. It's why I really like Edmunds, too.

Yeah I'm all about the move down, imo the talent that should be around in the 2nd isn't that much of a downgrade.
I really want this Guy i have watch him play for a couple of years . Go 49ERS

Yeah I'm all about the move down, imo the talent that should be around in the 2nd isn't that much of a downgrade.

Im all for it as well, but how often do you come out with multiple seconds in the same draft from multiple trade downs in the first round?

Typically at 9/10 you will end up with a second rounder on a trade down, in addition to the later first. However typically after that you start to see diminishing returns, and draft picks into future years.

I'm 100% ok with trading back as many times as we have trade partners, as long as we are acquiring draft picks for this years draft. We have too many holes to fill to trade picks this year for picks next.

Would love that. Ronald Jones and Vander-Esch are two of my favorite players in the draft
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
If this dude is there in the 3rd round, then go for it. Anytime sooner

Originally posted by LVJay:
If this dude is there in the 3rd round, then go for it. Anytime sooner

Agreed, he's instinctive, but I don't see the special athletic traits that would make him a higher pick than that
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Im all for it as well, but how often do you come out with multiple seconds in the same draft from multiple trade downs in the first round?

Typically at 9/10 you will end up with a second rounder on a trade down, in addition to the later first. However typically after that you start to see diminishing returns, and draft picks into future years.

I'm 100% ok with trading back as many times as we have trade partners, as long as we are acquiring draft picks for this years draft. We have too many holes to fill to trade picks this year for picks next.

I'm not sure you mean by diminishing returns? We're not talking about moving down for a 2019 2nd.

In this draft I'd rather have the 15th pick and 2 2nds. Throw in our 2 3rds and we have flexibility to move around and get who we want.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I'm not sure you mean by diminishing returns? We're not talking about moving down for a 2019 2nd.

In this draft I'd rather have the 15th pick and 2 2nds. Throw in our 2 3rds and we have flexibility to move around and get who we want.

What i mean by diminishing returns, is there are only so many 2nd round picks in this draft. Typically multiple move downs net teasm picks in future drafts, and not necissarily picks in the year the they trade back. My point is, as long as we are aquiring extra picks this year, i am fine with it. However, we have too many holes to fill to do the Baalke thing here and trade picks this year, for additional picks next year.
Matt Miller mocked this dude at #13...

WTF is happening. People are losing their damn minds. Major disrespect to Rashaan Evans.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 16, 2018 at 8:32 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Matt Miller mocked this dude at #13...

WTF is happening. People are losing their damn minds. Major disrespect to Rashaan Evans.

The mainstream guys are...I just ignore them. Matt Miller got caught lying about watching Lamar Jackson earlier this season but he was just spouting nonsense without watching his film.

They have connections with NFL teams, but it's not a direct line and I'm tired of them being repped on the hearsay and 3rd hand info they give fans.

That's why the NDT guys, Matt Waldman, Setting the edge guys are really great. It's more objective without the BS.
Share 49ersWebzone