Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jcool:
He was listed as 6'3", 215.

The 6-foot-2 1/2, 217-pound Lauletta

In your face.

I was talking about "Came in bigger than expected"
I was talking about "Came in bigger than expected"

That was his listed college height/weight, which is often nearly as accurate as WWE heights and weights. Its not uncommon to see guys come in at 2 or 3 inches under what they are listed at.

Most expected him to actually measure out at 6'0...6'1 and from 200 to 210.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Reminds me of adam froman
Originally posted by xcfan:
Reminds me of adam froman

• Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Impressive

[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 24, 2018 at 2:15 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Going to be a lot of pressure on whoever is the next QB drafted by NE. Not only trying to live up to Brady but also knowing Jimmy G was the last backup.

Going to be a lot of pressure on whoever is the next QB drafted by NE. Not only trying to live up to Brady but also knowing Jimmy G was the last backup.

Belichick gonna be fapping hord!

First, there are the football traits that this lesser-known prospect possesses. He's a quick processor and reader of defenses. Lauletta moves his feet well and delivers an accurate, catchable ball. For those doubting the FCS level of play, Lauletta did perform well in two matchups against ACC teams — Maryland in 2015 (zero turnovers, a rushing TD) and Virginia in 2016 (when Lauletta played a brilliant game, leading to a 17-point win over the Cavaliers).

On top of that, Lauletta's reputation suggests that he possesses strong leadership skills (he was a leadership studies major, for what that's worth), works hard at his craft and reportedly has strong football character.

"I was a big lacrosse guy, absolutely," he said. "For a while I thought I might enjoy playing that in college. I just enjoy football more. I think it's a better team sport. But I've always grown up a lacrosse guy. My dad was an All-American in high school. My uncle played in college."

A-ha! Now we're really getting into Belichick's wheelhouse here. For the uninitiated, Belichick is an absolute lacrosse nut. He has a stick at the ready in his office and is always ready to toss the ball around with anyone who is interested and passionate about his second-favorite spot. Belichick also has spoken often about incorporating lacrosse strategy into football and said he loves listening to coaches of that sport talk about how they design their offensive and defensive strategy.

"You think about skills on the lacrosse field that translate to football — toughness, change of direction, lot of good things that helped me in football," Lauletta said.

We think he and Belichick will have a few things to talk about whenever their paths cross, perhaps at the NFL scouting Combine in a month. (Belichick is a little tied up with this Super Bowl prep thing this week.)

"A couple Patriots scouts came in to see me [at Richmond this season] and when they found out how much I liked lacrosse, that was one of the things they said, 'Oh, Belichick will love this!'"

We can only assume that word has trickled back to the Death Star on this one. And if somehow it hasn't, Lauletta can pull at Belichick's sometimes cold heartstrings with this incredible nugget that hits even closer to home: Both Lauletta's father and uncle played for the Naval Academy.

Good lord almighty, Belichick might have to choloroform the kid and drag him back to Foxborough to ensure he gets his man.

Belichick's father, Steve, was a long-time assistant on the Cadets' staff, and Belichick grew up in the shadows of the legendary program that was led by players such as Roger Staubach in the early to mid-1960s. Belichick has always held reverence for the program and addressed the staff last year while visiting his elderly mother who still lives in the area.

Joe Lauletta, Kyle's father, was a quarterback for Navy in the mid-80s. His uncle, Lex, was a punter in the late 1970s. Dollars to doughnuts says Belichick has broken down both of their tape. I mean, a punter at Navy, are you kidding? Belichick recently held a dissertation on the finer points of punting on a Patriots media conference call that stretched out to the 25-minute mark. We have a feeling he could have gone on longer than that.

Actually, Lauletta is one of the few quarterbacks in Mobile this week who has experience running a pro-style offense — including for one year under John Garrett, brother of Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett, in 2016.
He could be a day 3 pick for us and be a upgrade over the current #3 QB Nick Mullens

Originally posted by TheXFactor:
He could be a day 3 pick for us and be a upgrade over the current #3 QB Nick Mullens

He could be an upgrade over Beathard potentially.

Maybe but we are not going to sink a mid range pick on a replacement for Beathard, who did well for a rookie non-1st rounder and was clearly well liked by Shanahan. Not with all our other needs. If he slips to 6th or 7th, maybe.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Maybe but we are not going to sink a mid range pick on a replacement for Beathard, who did well for a rookie non-1st rounder and was clearly well liked by Shanahan. Not with all our other needs. If he slips to 6th or 7th, maybe.

NE invested a 3rd round pick in a QB when Tom Brady was just 34 years old and a good backup in Hoyer.
Originally posted by English:

NE invested a 3rd round pick in a QB when Tom Brady was just 34 years old and a good backup in Hoyer.

"Not with all our other needs." Did NE have the needs then that we have? And by the way I will take Beathard over Hoyer any day.
Looks like a stud. It only takes a few minutes to see he's got something special. His pocket presence and accuracy are legit. I don't see anything wrong with his arm strength. That's an NFL arm.

2nd round looks about right to me. I'd take that over Beathard any day
Share 49ersWebzone