There are 181 users in the forums

Denzel Ward

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Mel Kiper has us taking him in his first mock....I mean who cares but interesting.

I don't see the fit and I also think we will get a CB in free agency.

If we draft a short corner not named Alexander I quit.

I really haven't watched a ton on either guy to be completely honest...I'm hoping we attack CB in FA (as far as a starter for next yr goes).

I'm with you NY, I'm hoping they pick up a top CB in free agency and maybe draft a CB in the 4th and below.
I just don't see the value taking Ward that high... Seems to me that he's more a mid to late 1st rounder at best. Now if he turns heads at the combine maybe he does go a little higher, but if a bunch of quarterbacks are taken early, there should be better talent and value available at 9 or 10.
For me, it's no contest...Jackson's the guy. He can flat out cover and make plays. You don't have 3 picks against Ohio St unless you can really ball, and Jackson's got "it". Saleh/Shanahan want a CB with good size and cover skills...that's Jackson all day long.
is he better than lattimore , i heard somewhere lattimore says he faster than him.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by vermonator:
I just don't see the value taking Ward that high... Seems to me that he's more a mid to late 1st rounder at best. Now if he turns heads at the combine maybe he does go a little higher, but if a bunch of quarterbacks are taken early, there should be better talent and value available at 9 or 10.

Agreed 5'10, 191 - will get outmuscled by bigger WRs in the NFL. I just can't see it.

Chris Harris (Denver) was 5'10", 194lbs when he was coming out. He made the All-Rookie team and has been on the All-Pro team 3 times.

Casey Hayward (Chargers) is 5'11", 191lbs. He was just named 2nd team All-Pro & has made the Pro Bowl 2 times.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 18, 2018 at 10:11 AM ]
Matt Miller has us taking him too
That he's too short s**t is bs, not all the top cbs are built like Sherman. If he can cover that's all that matters, I'll be happy with Ward plus it seems Ohio St is always putting out these cbs
You guys put way too much emphasis on players who are within 2 inches of six feet tall.

2 inches!!!!
Would be a massive waste of a top 10 pick. He's simply not a top 10 talent. He's not even a top 20 talent. There's nothing from his tape that leads me to believe he's a franchise player and could be a top 10 starting NFL CB. Not worth the capital we could get in a trade back or a foregoing a blue chip player like Roquan Smith, Quenton Nelson, Bradley Chubb, Minka Fitzpatrick, or Saquon Barkley (one will be there).
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we already have a Ward and he sucks. Gimme Jackson.

Originally posted by miked1978:
You guys put way too much emphasis on players who are within 2 inches of six feet tall.

2 inches!!!!

Except people are conveying the 49ers' tall CB bias, not their own.

You know, the team that's choosing these players.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 18, 2018 at 10:57 AM ]
Denzel is one of if not the best athlete in the rookie class. The technique coached up and strength training in the NFL is on another level than even elite collegiate programs. You take the best athlete with a track record of success and build his body and teach the technique you desire. If CB is the desired position I hope it's Ward.
Originally posted by miked1978:

2 inches!!!!

Exactly. The measurable spaceship has taken off this draft season. Usually this place is the other way around
I'm kind of split on Ward. On one hand I like love his natural coverage ability, both short and deep. Not too handsy downfield. Very fast. BUT, the lack of physicality and lack of run support is very worrisome to me. Those are even bigger questions for him than they were for Witherspoon last season. When we go into man coverage (which we're in about average, about 30-40%) he becomes a liability, and teams will just run his way. His actual size - 5-10/5-11, 190 (barley) by itself is less of a worry than his actual girth, which is a problem. Now, that can be remedied. But the combination of his girth and lack of physicality and poor run support worries me big time. I mean, I'm not saying the guy needs to be 6-3, 200 - though that would be nice. Jimmie Ward is 5-11, 193, but physicality and tackling weren't questions at all about him, and still not. So this makes Denzel Ward not a day 1 starter to me, and that's not what we need from our 1st round pick.

But more importantly, while CB is a need that we should address in the draft and, FA it's not a bigger need than OL, edge rusher, or even WR. Those are far more glaring needs than CB. I fully expect Ward (Jimmie) to be moved back to CB and Colbert to be our day 1 FS starter. The need to address CB with our 1st (or 2nd) pick simply isn't there. IMHO
Orrrr we draft Roquan and we trade up in the second round and draft Alexander who's a better player and plenty fast.
Share 49ersWebzone