LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

draft rumors and draft discussion 2018

Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Naw he said the n word with an "a" not an "Er"

Still not ok but a huge difference

This.

This isn't Michael Richards or Riley Cooper throwing slurs at people, he was a kid immersed in hip hop and his black teammates apparently didn't have any issues with it so dude might have thought it was cool for him to proceed.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
Kind of like when you told us to draft Quinton Patton

You had to dredge up my Chappaquiddick?

lol I'm just saying don't judge him off of one bad draft crush

He said the 49ers should draft Mitch Trubisky last year.

I said the 49ers should draft Mitch Trubisky last year.

Originally posted by Oilcan:
Anyone think this Josh Allen news will screw us ?
Do you Think he might fall out of the top 10 meaning one less player available to us.
Talk is a team might not want to trade up for him ( PR reasons ) but hope he falls to them.

Teams don't care about stuff like that. Now if he took a knee.

He said the 49ers should draft Mitch Trubisky last year.

I said the 49ers should draft Mitch Trubisky last year.

😂

You do a good job on here, Pheonix.

Now please, enough with McGlinchey talk
[ Edited by Sunshine on Apr 26, 2018 at 4:30 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Naw he said the n word with an "a" not an "Er"

Still not ok but a huge difference

This.

This isn't Michael Richards or Riley Cooper throwing slurs at people, he was a kid immersed in hip hop and his black teammates apparently didn't have any issues with it so dude might have thought it was cool for him to proceed.

I grew up in Fresno CA, and played football on a team full of Black kids, and a few Hispanics, and maybe 8 total white dudes. Im pretty sure every single one of us white dudes said that word with an "a". No one cared. We did the damn roll call song every day after practice busting on each other. We were all basically brothers.

It was the mid 90's and we were bumping that Bone thugs and Brotha Lynch and x raided for Christ sake. Deep in that "culture" Again, no one cared....

However, i was smart enough not to use the word on AOL or myspace...

But Social Media was a new thing then so we were probably more paranoid..
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Apr 26, 2018 at 4:34 PM ]
Speaking of Jerry......draft related blast from the past.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2006/too-deep-zone-jerry-rice-rookie-bust

Bill Walsh stood before the skeptical Bay Area media and defended a controversial decision. He told them that the 49ers' troubled rookie wide receiver would remain a starter despite several bad performances. The rookie's name was Jerry Rice.
The 49ers, fresh off a victory in Super Bowl XIX, were 6-5 and fighting for their playoff lives. Joe Montana's passing numbers were off. Rice, the team's top draft pick, had 26 receptions in 11 games, but he also dropped 10 balls, some of them at the worst possible times. He was coming off a game in which he dropped two passes, fumbled once, and caught just one pass. Niners fans booed the rookie; local columnists made him the butt of jokes. Freddie Solomon, a respected veteran who caught touchdown passes in 10 straight games in 1984, had become the invisible man in the Niners offense while Montana and Rice played pitch 'n' drop.
But Walsh held his ground, supported Rice, and kept him in the weekly gameplan. "At some point, the boos will turn to cheers," predicted Walsh during a press conference on November 18th, 1985.
That point was only a few weeks away.

The Seductive Target

Legend has it that Walsh saw a television clip of Rice playing in a college game the day before a 1984 matchup between the 49ers and Oilers. Walsh was intrigued with what he saw. He began to scout the youngster from Mississippi Valley State, who was on his way to setting 18 NCAA records in Archie "Gunslinger" Cooley's spread offense. The Niners coach spoke at length with Cooley and became convinced that Rice was more than just a small-school, gadget-offense product. When Rice won the MVP award of the Blue-Gray game, Walsh's interest piqued. When the receiver was still on the board midway through the 1985 draft, Walsh traded three picks to move up and take him. A draftnik named Vinny DiTrani, writing for the Bergen Record at the time, gave the Niners a D+ for their draft efforts.

Rice was groomed as an immediate starter who would replace Solomon as soon as possible. He excelled in training camp. Facing perennial Pro Bowl corner Lester Hayes in a preseason game, Rice caught three passes for 49 yards, and he lost a 64-yard reception because he stepped out of bounds before the catch. Two weeks later, he caught five passes for 125 yards against the Chargers in another preseason game. In that game, the wise-beyond-his-years Rice noticed that cornerback Danny Walters was peeking into the backfield on the first two plays from scrimmage. Rice told quarterback Matt Cavanaugh to check off his primary receiver and look for him deep on the third play. The result was a 56-yard touchdown.

"When I was drafted out of Mississippi Valley State, the word was I had good hands, could get open and ran well when I got the ball," Rice said after the Chargers game. "But they also said I wasn't really a speed-burner. Today, though, I think I showed I can get down the field in a hurry."

Rice's scouting report appeared to be exactly wrong in the first weeks of the 1985 season. He averaged 18.2 yards per catch in his first three games, including a three-catch, 94-yard effort in a 34-10 win over the Raiders, demonstrating that he was a true deep threat despite his poor stopwatch speed. But against the Saints in Week 4, he dropped the only pass thrown to him. The Niners, 16-point favorites, lost to the lowly Saints 20-17 and fell to 2-2 (they also lost their season opener to the Vikings).

Rice was injured against the Saints; he separated his shoulder returning a kickoff. At the time, he was expected to miss two-to-four weeks. Some observers felt that the Niners would be able to return to their short-passing routes without the bomb-happy rookie in the lineup. Even assistant coach Paul Hackett felt that Montana was throwing too many long passes to his new receiver. "Rice is a seductive target for Joe," Hackett said after the Saints loss, noting that Montana was taking sacks while waiting for long passes to develop. "The most important thing for us is to play our game. If number one isn't open, and number two isn't open, let's hit number three, instead of thinking Jerry, Jerry, Jerry all the time."

Rice didn't miss any games. The next week, he caught three passes, including a 25-yard touchdown, in a win over the Falcons.

But Rice soon began to slump, dropping passes in losses to the Bears and Lions. He was often wide open when balls bounced off his hands. Walsh re-inserted Solomon as the starter, though Rice still played more snaps than the veteran. Rice's confidence began to wane. Rice dropped two passes and fumbled against the Chiefs in a game that the Niners won 31-3.

The team coasted to a victory, but the rookie had what Walsh called "a personal crisis" on the sidelines. "We all had a visit with him," Walsh said, noting that veterans Dwight Clark and Solomon were doing their best to help Rice along. "He's a 21-year-old man going through a learning process."

Rice was learning, but the Niners were falling off the playoff chase. There was plenty of blame to go around. The aging defense wasn't mounting a pass rush. Halfback Wendell Tyler, who had beaten the fumbling habit in 1984, was back to his ball-dropping ways. Montana was at the center of unsubstantiated drug rumors. But the easiest guy to blame was the kid who cost the team several draft picks, the newcomer who replaced a productive veteran and dropped half the balls thrown to him.

question - does the zone have a "live" draft chat?
  • thl408
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I grew up in Fresno CA, and played football on a team full of Black kids, and a few Hispanics, and maybe 8 total white dudes. Im pretty sure every single one of us white dudes said that word with an "a". No one cared. We did the damn roll call song every day after practice busting on each other. We were all basically brothers.

It was the mid 90's and we were bumping that Bone thugs and Brotha Lynch and x raided for Christ sake. Deep in that "culture" Again, no one cared....
Season of the siccness. Nice.
Okay I'm officially off Twitter the rest of the night....no spoilers!!!

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone