LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Braden Smith, Auburn, OG

Would love to get him on day 2. He and Frank Ragnow are my two guys I'd love to get outside the first. Unfortunately with our Saints pick being so low and OL being such an issue in the NFL across the board I'm not sure either will even make our 2nd rounder :(
Originally posted by genus49:
Would love to get him on day 2. He and Frank Ragnow are my two guys I'd love to get outside the first. Unfortunately with our Saints pick being so low and OL being such an issue in the NFL across the board I'm not sure either will even make our 2nd rounder :(

He probably won't, but we can do some manoeuvring, I want him even more than Nelson, talent meets scheme perfectly

I think in a trade down situation we could have more flexibility to get a guy like smith along with grabbing a couple more picks.

Nelson is legit though
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think in a trade down situation we could have more flexibility to get a guy like smith along with grabbing a couple more picks.

Nelson is legit though

Nelson is undoubtedly a better player, and I'm sure we'd adapt our scheme to his limitless talent.

Braden just fits like a glove and will be a lot cheaper. You know what, I would even take both!
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Really clever from UCF, but telling how good Braden Smith is, they are lining Griffin up across from him but he is a QB spy and not actually rushing, but it's keeping Smith from helping the other lineman.

Ultimate respect there

I saw that too, like you said ultimate respect, but also shows how impactful Griffin was because he was flying all over in coverage and behind the line of scrimmage. Would love both in a niners uniform next season
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Nelson is legit though

Nelson is undoubtedly a better player, and I'm sure we'd adapt our scheme to his limitless talent.

Braden just fits like a glove and will be a lot cheaper. You know what, I would even take both!

Well we're looking at spending our first two picks on interior OL lol...no thanks. I hope they hit FA for some OL help as well. Smith like you said is an ideal fit for Kyle and isn't gonna be a top 10 pick.

Either one and I'll be happy
Well we're looking at spending our first two picks on interior OL lol...no thanks. I hope they hit FA for some OL help as well. Smith like you said is an ideal fit for Kyle and isn't gonna be a top 10 pick.

Either one and I'll be happy

I don't think using our top two picks on lineman would be that bad at all. I do agree we should try to sign more veteran lineman but this is a good offensive line draft and both of those players could be pro bowl talents. We need to heavily invest in this line because we know the Cardinals, Rams, and Seahawks will all have good defensive fronts going forward. We won't be able to fix o-line, corner, wide receiver, middle linebacker and our leo in one offseason and where we are picking both Nelson and Smith would probably be BPA.
Originally posted by irishluder:
I saw that too, like you said ultimate respect, but also shows how impactful Griffin was because he was flying all over in coverage and behind the line of scrimmage. Would love both in a niners uniform next season

Absolutely and definitely this, would love both and think it's a possibility
Originally posted by irishluder:

Do you think Griffin will be drafted? I would in the later rounds but hard to see him drafted anywhere other than to final two round for me.
so we're taking him and nelson?

I would take Nelson in the first round and if Smith is somehow available in the 3rd pull the trigger on him as well.

If the 49ers drafted him, you could pretty much plug him in at right guard as a rookie and likely have him be a high quality starter for many years to come. He's a converted tackle that has been outstanding at guard and is definitely a better fit in terms of scheme than Nelson.

If they don't get Nelson then I hope they find a way to acquire two of Smith, Ragnow, Teller and Crosby.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I don't think using our top two picks on lineman would be that bad at all. I do agree we should try to sign more veteran lineman but this is a good offensive line draft and both of those players could be pro bowl talents. We need to heavily invest in this line because we know the Cardinals, Rams, and Seahawks will all have good defensive fronts going forward. We won't be able to fix o-line, corner, wide receiver, middle linebacker and our leo in one offseason and where we are picking both Nelson and Smith would probably be BPA.

Yeah if they're both bpa why not? 9 our of the top 10 running teams this yr are currently in the playoffs (sorry Dallas )

I'm hoping for a mixture of vets/draft capital spent on OL/RB

Haha this is awesome, I hate all the rap they play during the highlight videos, I'd rather listen to the original game.... but Pantera with bodys flying around I can get with
Share 49ersWebzone