There are 165 users in the forums

Tremaine Edmunds - LB - Virginia Tech

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Sounds like Edmunds is getting the Vic Beasley type of ceiling?

Haven't heard anyone say they're similar, but do you see any similarity or could see a projection of a similar type of ceiling?

No, they're totally different players. Beasley was an actual edge rusher at Clemson.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Deuce from The Scouting Academy:

The good and bad of Edmunds' play. Edmunds' athletic ability is tantalizing, but he leaves something to be desired between the ears for a top ten pick.

I like this guy. I've never seen him do film work before. I want to watch his clip on Roquan.

The missed assignments are concerning with Tremaine. I get it that No player will have 100% assignments but to leave your RB assignment and flow inside on a QB fake is in-excuseable. That is the exact play that Russell Wilson will kill him on.

So the question is say Roquan and Tremaine test the same aside from size do you take the awareness and instincts or the size and potential.

I'm taking awareness all day. It's those missed assignments and blown coverages that lose games. Especially in our division with Russell Wilson and 2 elite pass catching backs in David Johnson and Todd Gurley. I think offensive coaches will exploit that in Tremaine.

Can you coach him up? Absolutely. But with top 10 pick I'm not sure we can afford that luxury.

After watching that tape vs Clemson I don't see a natural pass rusher either.

I was a huge fan of Tremaine but those missed assignments and questionable instincts are very concerning. For that fact I would take him off my draft board at 9/10 and Roquan rises to the top.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Jan 28, 2018 at 10:04 AM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
I like this guy. I've never seen him do film work before. I want to watch his clip on Roquan.

Yeah, Deuce is awesome, and The Scouting Academy pumps out some of the better scouts in the game.

I posted his analysis of Roquan in his thread. Preview: He loves Roquan. Most football guys do.
Yeah, Deuce is awesome, and The Scouting Academy pumps out some of the better scouts in the game.

I posted his analysis of Roquan in his thread. Preview: He loves Roquan. Most football guys do.

I just checked it out. Thanks for posting it
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
I just checked it out. Thanks for posting it

Once the team addresses starters at ER and CB in free agency, This guy will complete the defense imo. His versatility at 6-5, 250lbs will only enhance this defense going forward. I imagine Robert Saleh and his defensive staff get very happy when they discuss this guy's potential with our defense. You can line him up just about anywhere and he can help you. Rushing off the edge, covering RBs and TEs, narrowing the passing lanes to those pesky slot receivers. If Malcolm Smith is fully recovered and Foster stays out of trouble, putting this guy with them gives us a tremendous trio of starting LBs.
STRENGTHS Unique size with long limbs and a rangy frame. Wears his weight with ease. Frame is destined to become even more imposing with additional weight work. Feet pump and trigger like pistons. Excellent lateral quickness to scrape and stalk. Uses his size and speed to cast a wide, playmaking net and cover large swaths of grass. Twitches for a second when it is time to make a play. Spins out of blocks to find his way back into the play. Combines length with rare reactive athleticism and agility to access and tackle opportunities from unconventional angles. Captures and finishes as a tackler at highly efficient rate. Elite traits help to create sensational production across the board. Disruptive in all phases. Electric as "add-on" rusher when back stays in. Has length and burst to affect pocket as edge rusher. Effective man cover talent with ability to match shifty running backs and bulky tight ends.

WEAKNESSES Instincts are average and relies on athletic gifts. Can be a step slow to diagnose. Lured by misdirection. Will take random downhill paths that trap him in the quagmire. Patience is lacking. Races ahead of plays and voids his leverage and run fits at times. Needs to add more upper and lower body strength. Average base strength and high center of gravity create issues holding up at the point of attack. Needs to be quicker to punch in order to maintain clearance. Mental busts in man coverage hurt his team. Takes time to process moving pieces.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1

SOURCES TELL US "Good luck with your player comp on this one. They don't come like him. I don't think there has ever been a linebacker that has had his size and speed. You're better off comping him with a basketball player." -- NFC regional scout

NFL COMPARISON Brian Urlacher

BOTTOM LINE Edmunds combines elite size, speed and explosiveness into a productive, versatile linebacker package that will have evaluators salivating. Edmunds has posted high-impact production over the last two seasons and he still has room to get bigger and better. Edmunds will make mental mistakes and his instincts are subpar, but he has an ability to mitigate those issues with his athletic ability. Edmunds can play in any alignment at any linebacker spot and has All-Pro potential no matter where he lands.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/tremaine-edmunds?id=2560062
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Oh my. Let's see if he distances himself.
STRENGTHS Unique size with long limbs and a rangy frame. Wears his weight with ease. Frame is destined to become even more imposing with additional weight work. Feet pump and trigger like pistons. Excellent lateral quickness to scrape and stalk. Uses his size and speed to cast a wide, playmaking net and cover large swaths of grass. Twitches for a second when it is time to make a play. Spins out of blocks to find his way back into the play. Combines length with rare reactive athleticism and agility to access and tackle opportunities from unconventional angles. Captures and finishes as a tackler at highly efficient rate. Elite traits help to create sensational production across the board. Disruptive in all phases. Electric as "add-on" rusher when back stays in. Has length and burst to affect pocket as edge rusher. Effective man cover talent with ability to match shifty running backs and bulky tight ends.

WEAKNESSES Instincts are average and relies on athletic gifts. Can be a step slow to diagnose. Lured by misdirection. Will take random downhill paths that trap him in the quagmire. Patience is lacking. Races ahead of plays and voids his leverage and run fits at times. Needs to add more upper and lower body strength. Average base strength and high center of gravity create issues holding up at the point of attack. Needs to be quicker to punch in order to maintain clearance. Mental busts in man coverage hurt his team. Takes time to process moving pieces.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1

SOURCES TELL US "Good luck with your player comp on this one. They don't come like him. I don't think there has ever been a linebacker that has had his size and speed. You're better off comping him with a basketball player." -- NFC regional scout

NFL COMPARISON Brian Urlacher

BOTTOM LINE Edmunds combines elite size, speed and explosiveness into a productive, versatile linebacker package that will have evaluators salivating. Edmunds has posted high-impact production over the last two seasons and he still has room to get bigger and better. Edmunds will make mental mistakes and his instincts are subpar, but he has an ability to mitigate those issues with his athletic ability. Edmunds can play in any alignment at any linebacker spot and has All-Pro potential no matter where he lands.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/tremaine-edmunds?id=2560062

Slow processing. Average at best instincts, lacks assignment discipline. Just ripe for Russell Wilson to punk him hard.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Slow processing. Average at best instincts, lacks assignment discipline. Just ripe for Russell Wilson to punk him hard.

In his rookie year yes, after that depends on his work ethic and how coachable he is.

He is certainly an intriguing prospect, I can get on board, just not above Roquan who as it stands is a much better football player. Don't want to gamble.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
In his rookie year yes, after that depends on his work ethic and how coachable he is.

He is certainly an intriguing prospect, I can get on board, just not above Roquan who as it stands is a much better football player. Don't want to gamble.

I think I am biased towards guys with natural instincts and awareness, who don't think as much as just act with a level of near intuition consistently.

There are certain things that you either have or you don't. Good coaches can work around the deficiencies to an extent but you can't coach up stuff that isn't there to begin with.

For example, do you believe that there is a coaching staff, past or present that would have coached Blaine Gabbert into a top flight passer? If not, why not? He clearly has a ton of raw talent and ability to work with.

Some guys are just born with it, whether its the potential to run a 4.28 40, to process things at an extremely high level, to perform well under stress or even the ability for a coach to be a great playcaller. They have particular traits that allow for them to be great if they are willing to put in the work.

In following the draft pretty consistently for over 20 years, I can't remember many guys that didn't display high level instincts and awareness in college who suddenly developed those traits in the NFL.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think I am biased towards guys with natural instincts and awareness, who don't think as much as just act with a level of near intuition consistently.

There are certain things that you either have or you don't. Good coaches can work around the deficiencies to an extent but you can't coach up stuff that isn't there to begin with.

For example, do you believe that there is a coaching staff, past or present that would have coached Blaine Gabbert into a top flight passer? If not, why not? He clearly has a ton of raw talent and ability to work with.

Some guys are just born with it, whether its the potential to run a 4.28 40, to process things at an extremely high level, to perform well under stress or even the ability for a coach to be a great playcaller. They have particular traits that allow for them to be great if they are willing to put in the work.

In following the draft pretty consistently for over 20 years, I can't remember many guys that didn't display high level instincts and awareness in college who suddenly developed those traits in the NFL.

Makes perfect sense, nice post, it's a reason I largely switch off at the combine, it helps you confirm things you thought you saw, but also gets you to imagine things that aren't there.

If you can't tell someone is fast on a football field, does it matter if he runs well in shorts?

Give me football players as well.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Sounds like Edmunds is getting the Vic Beasley type of ceiling?

Haven't heard anyone say they're similar, but do you see any similarity or could see a projection of a similar type of ceiling?

No, they're totally different players. Beasley was an actual edge rusher at Clemson.

How about Jamie Collins? Or be used kinda like him. Any similarity or ceiling possibility there?
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jan 29, 2018 at 2:26 AM ]
This guy is Capt. Blown Assignments...I'll pass
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

And Roquan Smith is Capt. Get Blown Up at the POA. Just a matter of preference.

Edmunds appears superior as a prospect at this point. We'll see.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

And Roquan Smith is Capt. Get Blown Up at the POA. Just a matter of preference.

Edmunds appears superior as a prospect at this point. We'll see.

Exactly how is edmunds a superior prospect? Because he's taller? Because that's the only category where he beats out Roquan. You seem to be getting caught up in draft narratives telling you what to think as opposed to film and on the field evidence.

Edmunds looks like a good prospect. But there's nothing he can do better on the field than Roquan and many things he does worse than Roquan.
Share 49ersWebzone