LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 158 users in the forums

Tremaine Edmunds - LB - Virginia Tech

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
This. Not sure why this nugget has been overlooked by the zoners in love with Roquan

Well, rankings are subjective. Most people prefer to use their own eyes and draw their own conclusions.

Also, those rankings are not set in stone. They are fluid and will look totally different closer to the draft.

You are right. As we move closer to the draft Roquan as stayed pat and Edmunds has pulled equal or higher on many boards.

Here is another addition:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755915-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-did-allen-mayfield-move-up-2018-draft-boards?share=twitter

Smith and Edmunds ranked 9 and 10 here, respectfully.
[ Edited by okdkid on Jan 26, 2018 at 9:42 AM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
You are right. As we move closer to the draft Roquan as stayed pat and Edmunds has pulled equal or higher on many boards.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755915-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-did-allen-mayfield-move-up-2018-draft-boards?share=twitter

That's good for us as the Raiders would go for size! We get Roquan
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

That's good for us as the Raiders would go for size! We get Roquan

You're setting yourself up for disappointment aligning yourself to one player. Many, many other likely picks out there. Especially if four QBs go in the top 10.
You're setting yourself up for disappointment aligning yourself to one player. Many, many other likely picks out there. Especially if four QBs go in the top 10.

Roquan is about 5th on my board, and I think I even have trade down ahead of him, just want football players, not reaching for size or speed or need.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKJ3_Eczxlc

Voch likes him a lot. He's pretty damn fast for a guy that's 6'5 250 and only going to turn 20 this year. I would like the pick.
Originally posted by shmuck:

Voch likes him a lot. He's pretty damn fast for a guy that's 6'5 250 and only going to turn 20 this year. I would like the pick.

Voch left out lots of plays in that Miami game where Edmunds looked like a lost child. I see why people love his potential but a player with little instincts is not a good risk. To quote Bill Belichick "you can't teach instincts"
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Voch left out lots of plays in that Miami game where Edmunds looked like a lost child. I see why people love his potential but a player with little instincts is not a good risk. To quote Bill Belichick "you can't teach instincts"

Kind of hard to develop a great feel for the position when you are still a pup. Being only 20yo means he has a ton to still learn.

Some team will fall in love with the fact that he can potentially be molded into something special once their coaching staff gets their hands on him.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Kind of hard to develop a great feel for the position when you are still a pup. Being only 20yo means he has a ton to still learn.

Some team will fall in love with the fact that he can potentially be molded into something special once their coaching staff gets their hands on him.

I'm pretty sure he's practically the same age as Roquan, and he has much better instincts.

I get that you look for potential, but if he and Roquan are going to be taken at similar draft positions I'm taking the better football player.
Originally posted by Nastastical:

Getting flash backs to what people said about Amobi Okoye.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I'm pretty sure he's practically the same age as Roquan, and he has much better instincts.

I get that you look for potential, but if he and Roquan are going to be taken at similar draft positions I'm taking the better football player.

They are both 20. Edmunds has a huge ceiling but I don't see him ever having the level of instincts that Roquan does.

Guys like that, Luke Kuechly, Chris Borland, Patrick Willis, they have an almost preternatural awareness, they always seem to flow to the football, much like defensive backs who seemingly are always in a position to play the football.

Its one of those things that I believe you're largely born with which combined with immense film study gives you the ability to see plays before they happen.

Edmunds has the potential to be used in more ways than Roquan. You can put him on the edge, in the middle, the weakside, etc. He gives you a whole lot of versatility but when you watch him you get the feeling that he is guessing a lot rather than just flowing and you will have to accept that for the highlight plays he will definitely make, he will also be out of position and give up some big plays too.

Its one of the things that reportedly caused Belichick to lose patience with Jamie Collins. For all the big time plays he made and the versatility he presented, he whiffed on plays quite a bit too.

Its a tradeoff that you have to accept, along with Roquan getting blocked out of plays from time to time.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
They are both 20. Edmunds has a huge ceiling but I don't see him ever having the level of instincts that Roquan does.

Guys like that, Luke Kuechly, Chris Borland, Patrick Willis, they have an almost preternatural awareness, they always seem to flow to the football, much like defensive backs who seemingly are always in a position to play the football.

Its one of those things that I believe you're largely born with which combined with immense film study gives you the ability to see plays before they happen.

Edmunds has the potential to be used in more ways than Roquan. You can put him on the edge, in the middle, the weakside, etc. He gives you a whole lot of versatility but when you watch him you get the feeling that he is guessing a lot rather than just flowing and you will have to accept that for the highlight plays he will definitely make, he will also be out of position and give up some big plays too.

Its one of the things that reportedly caused Belichick to lose patience with Jamie Collins. For all the big time plays he made and the versatility he presented, he whiffed on plays quite a bit too.

Its a tradeoff that you have to accept, along with Roquan getting blocked out of plays from time to time.

I would rather a player be taken out of a play by a block than by himself
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Would Edmunds play the LEO for us?

damn didn't realize he was that young. Our defense is young enough as it is though. But I think he would be a good pick to learn behind Smith and play special teams with his athleticism, kind of like Bow when he sat behind takeo. Its different cause bow was a 3rd and we would have to spend a high 1st, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Weakside primarily.
Originally posted by mayo49:

No, he isn't stout enough and isn't a pass rusher, could he develop into it, who knows, but it wouldn't be overnight.
Share 49ersWebzone