There are 138 users in the forums

Tremaine Edmunds - LB - Virginia Tech

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stonecold590:
It's weird because I'm seeing this guy all over on different people's and different sites big boards. I see some in the top-15 I've seen some or he's in the twenties and then there's a couple which have him after the first round. He is just all over up and down on all these different big boards.

Now personally I like him he's extremely young great size long arms Goodspeed and has a ton of upside.

Not sure what big boards you are looking at but i have yet to see him outside of the top 15.
Originally posted by Jcool:
It's weird because I'm seeing this guy all over on different people's and different sites big boards. I see some in the top-15 I've seen some or he's in the twenties and then there's a couple which have him after the first round. He is just all over up and down on all these different big boards.

Now personally I like him he's extremely young great size long arms Goodspeed and has a ton of upside.

Not sure what big boards you are looking at but i have yet to see him outside of the top 15.

Quick example MadDog49er who we all love has him at 33/32 something like that

It doesn't matter where MaDDog has edmunds rated on his board or where all the so called experts have him rated on there board . All I know is a lot of nfl scouts and nfl teams love this kids talent and potential and he is only 19 and he is only gonna get better .

Potential over production.

Has size and speed but his instincts are nearly non-existent at this point.

When he guesses right, he blows up the play, when he guessed wrong the ball goes the other way for a big pickup.

Can he develop enough awareness to thrive in the NFL? Because trying to simply outrun and outmuscle offenses like he did in college won't get him very far in a league where you need both athleticism and high level processing to be a great player.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Production was just fine at Va Tech.
Originally posted by Tylerawiseguy:

It doesn't matter where MaDDog has edmunds rated on his board or where all the so called experts have him rated on there board . All I know is a lot of nfl scouts and nfl teams love this kids talent and potential and he is only 19 and he is only gonna get better .

I love it. I get questioned where I've seen him not rated super high and I give 1 quick example. The first reply back is It Doesn't matter where you've seen it. If you would read further I said I like him. But I've seen him up and down on boards and it's blasphemy to say some people have him ranked lower on their boards.
Originally posted by Fresno49er:

I'm a sucker for highlights with epic music.

Out of all of Edmunds' harshest critics, I'm probably his biggest fan. If he weren't talked about as a top-10 guy, he'd be one of my favorite players. It'll mainly be up to DeMeco Ryans to vet Edmunds' love for the game when they sit down to watch film and work the whiteboard.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 25, 2018 at 5:37 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran

When he guesses right, he blows up the play, when he guessed wrong the ball goes the other way for a big pickup.

Can he develop enough awareness to thrive in the NFL? Because trying to simply outrun and outmuscle offenses like he did in college won't get him very far in a league where you need both athleticism and high level processing to be a great player.

Kid takes himself out of allot of plays with his lack of awareness...concerned he's one of those players getting by on his superior athletic ability
[ Edited by jcs on Mar 25, 2018 at 6:20 PM ]
Every time I see a draft pick with insane measurables and questionable football IQ or moves, I think of Vernon Gholston. How long is his NFL highlight clip?

• okdkid
  • Veteran

Production was just fine at Va Tech.

It's so silly. People truly believe he just wings it every snap. Lol. He wouldn't have even made a D3 team if that was true. But webzone gonna webzone.

Dude is going top 15. Maybe top 10. Likely LB1 to be drafted. But yeah his instincts are "non existent". Love when people speak in absolutes.

Some people just have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that maybe...just maybe...their favorite player in the draft isn't as highly valued as another at the same position. But it doesn't matter what the internet thinks. This will all be over soon.
Originally posted by okdkid:
It's so silly. People truly believe he just wings it every snap. Lol. He wouldn't have even made a D3 team if that was true. But webzone gonna webzone.

Except every year we see guys primarily get by in college on sheer athleticism and then struggle when they hit the NFL...or just flat out bust.

When I watch Edmunds play, I don't see much advanced recognition, I see a guy who is basically a bull in a china shop and he winds up going in the complete opposite direction of where the play is actually going enough times that it becomes pretty clear he is doing a lot of guessing pre-snap, committing too early and then getting burnt on a misdirection or playaction.
How is he 19? I turned 19 in my redshirt freshman year of college. I didn't really feel like the game really slowed down until the end of my sophomore season when I was 21. Maturity, repitiion, film, weight room, feedback loop. The following 2 years I more or less did my thing without much resistance.

Yes, I am in this moment comparing myself to Edmunds. Edmunds is a different type of dude, but that's not to say we should not expect him to have some growing pains adjusting to the NFL. The benefit is he gets to do it in year two of this rebuild, growing with this defense and really coming into his own a year or 2 from now, and dominating the next 10.

Countering this whole idea about him not having instincts... there are a lot of things that will get you out of position on a football play. Reading a key and reacting to a play within a defense is about responsibility within the scheme, The same instincts that are allowing Edmunds to make all these plays are the same instincts that find him out of position. They will be refined by repition and maturity w/in a system.

I think we can coach hero ball (that he may have been accustomed to at VA tech) out of a player like Edmunds, ask him to just do his job and he will be able to do it at a high level. A previous poster talked about vetting him on the white board. They'll be able to tell immediately what kind of guy Edmunds is and make a decision about if he is coachable or not so much. He is an amazing scheme fit w/o a doubt. He flashes and does a lot of things really well. I'd love to see what we could do with a guy like him on the defense.

Now if we draft him and he constantly runs the complete opposite direction of the run or gets baited by a play action everytime, then it's going to be very difficult to revisit this thread... and you can tell me I told you so.
Originally posted by 3rd-down-decoy:
How is he 19? I turned 19 in my redshirt freshman year of college. I didn't really feel like the game really slowed down until the end of my sophomore season when I was 21. Maturity, repitiion, film, weight room, feedback loop. The following 2 years I more or less did my thing without much resistance.

Yes, I am in this moment comparing myself to Edmunds. Edmunds is a different type of dude, but that's not to say we should not expect him to have some growing pains adjusting to the NFL. The benefit is he gets to do it in year two of this rebuild, growing with this defense and really coming into his own a year or 2 from now, and dominating the next 10.

Countering this whole idea about him not having instincts... there are a lot of things that will get you out of position on a football play. Reading a key and reacting to a play within a defense is about responsibility within the scheme, The same instincts that are allowing Edmunds to make all these plays are the same instincts that find him out of position. They will be refined by repition and maturity w/in a system.

I think we can coach hero ball (that he may have been accustomed to at VA tech) out of a player like Edmunds, ask him to just do his job and he will be able to do it at a high level. A previous poster talked about vetting him on the white board. They'll be able to tell immediately what kind of guy Edmunds is and make a decision about if he is coachable or not so much. He is an amazing scheme fit w/o a doubt. He flashes and does a lot of things really well. I'd love to see what we could do with a guy like him on the defense.

Now if we draft him and he constantly runs the complete opposite direction of the run or gets baited by a play action everytime, then it's going to be very difficult to revisit this thread... and you can tell me I told you so.

Nice post

I've said similar but not put it as well. I do love the potential, but for me (and I'm a gambler) the much better odds play is to pick Roquan Smith.

Same draft value, much higher floor, only slightly lower ceiling.

I must disagree. Not only does he have great potential but also great production at 19 y/o
2017 stats: 108 tackles 14 TFL 5.5 sacks

Roquan Smith at age 19 barely played at all
Share 49ersWebzone