LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Dante Pettis, WR, Washington

He's a better prospect than Goodwin was and it's not even close IMO. We've seen how Goodwin excelled in Kyle's offense. Likewise, Kyle will find ways to get Pettis the ball because that's what he does. Our WR corps desperately lacked a guy that was a threat with the ball in his hands and now we finally have one.

His ability to score and break big plays is going to be huge for the offense. Taylor Gabriel had that same ability and Kyle had him playing at a Pro Bowl level as a complimentary piece. I think that's where Pettis' real value comes in. While significantly upgrading our ST unit, he can be a gadget receiver from day one. Even if he only touches the ball only 3-4 times a game as a rookie, he's going to really open up the offense. Garçon and Goodwin will be better with Pettis on the field.

I know this pick isn't well liked, but he adds a dimension to the offense and ST we seriously needed. He's a great fit for Kyle.

He's a poor man's John Ross. Not quite as fast or consistent. Pettis is a complimentary WR, not a #1, but he can be a big time player.
In Lynch/Shanny we trust
[ Edited by OC49erLuVeR on Apr 29, 2018 at 7:19 AM ]
Originally posted by strickac:
He's a better prospect than Goodwin was and it's not even close IMO. We've seen how Goodwin excelled in Kyle's offense. Likewise, Kyle will find ways to get Pettis the ball because that's what he does. Our WR corps desperately lacked a guy that was a threat with the ball in his hands and now we finally have one.

His ability to score and break big plays is going to be huge for the offense. Taylor Gabriel had that same ability and Kyle had him playing at a Pro Bowl level as a complimentary piece. I think that's where Pettis' real value comes in. While significantly upgrading our ST unit, he can be a gadget receiver from day one. Even if he only touches the ball only 3-4 times a game as a rookie, he's going to really open up the offense. Garçon and Goodwin will be better with Pettis on the field.

I know this pick isn't well liked, but he adds a dimension to the offense and ST we seriously needed. He's a great fit for Kyle.

He's a poor man's John Ross. Not quite as fast or consistent. Pettis is a complimentary WR, not a #1, but he can be a big time player.

You just made the point as to why people are disappointed in the pick. Why trade up to get a "complimentary" WR who might be a big time player down the road? Niners could have taken care of two needs instead of trading up for a gadget receiver.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
You just made the point as to why people are disappointed in the pick. Why trade up to get a "complimentary" WR who might be a big time player down the road? Niners could have taken care of two needs instead of trading up for a gadget receiver.

Because you really like the player.

If the 49ers had blown up their draft to move up for Landry in the late 1st, I doubt that anyone would have been complaining.

I think it comes down to a player that most people didn't have on their radar and not being happy that the team did.

If Pettis is a 1,000 yard receiver in a couple years, nobody is going to be looking back and thinking "can't believe that they traded up for this dude!"

If Shanahan thinks this dude can make the offense more explosive, I'm down. He seems to know what he needs and goes after it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

If the 49ers had blown up their draft to move up for Landry in the late 1st, I doubt that anyone would have been complaining.

I think it comes down to a player that most people didn't have on their radar and not being happy that the team did.

If Pettis is a 1,000 yard receiver in a couple years, nobody is going to be looking back and thinking "can't believe that they traded up for this dude!"

If Shanahan thinks this dude can make the offense more explosive, I'm down. He seems to know what he needs and goes after it.

This x 1000. Pettis is getting knocked partly because most people here are obsessed with the idea of a big, physical target for the red zone. As Kyle has stated several times, throwing a bunch of jump balls in the red zone isn't the only way to score down there and it's one of the least efficient.

Pettis might not be 6'4", 220, but he generates a ton of separation and he has big-time RAC ability. He's a perfect fit.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I thought Pettis was a fabulous pick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

This x 1000. Pettis is getting knocked partly because most people here are obsessed with the idea of a big, physical target for the red zone. As Kyle has stated several times, throwing a bunch of jump balls in the red zone isn't the only way to score down there and it's one of the least efficient.

Pettis might not be 6'4", 220, but he generates a ton of separation and he has big-time RAC ability. He's a perfect fit.

Pettis isn't a WR1, he's a WR2.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2018 at 12:12 PM ]
Dante Pettis is definitely not just a 'slot guy' like was said on the draft broadcast. Dude was a deep threat for Washington. He can play the slot and run some of those routes but he routinely got deep on the outside.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

We won't know what he is until he develops.
We don't know what coaches see or how they intend to use him. Jerry Rice pick would have been blasted today.

Pettis at this point in time the the punt returner who blow it up. Holds the record for most TDs returned for career.

If he had done the combine or pro day, he would have shot up the draft charts. The guy has what Kyle wants separation ability plus top end speed. In 2016 he did a hand held time of 4.39, which most likely translates to 4.43 by electronic. After the 2017 season and if he trained for the combined like most players do, I think it is safe to say he would have timed in the 4.3's. Watching videos, his three cone drill would be off the chart.

The reason people slate him for the slot is because of his slight frame at 188 lbs, with some training he can get up to 200. He is almost 6-1, just a tad shy. He can play all three positions. Also think that people are mistaken that he does not have the potential to be a future #1. He is different than Trent. He can take the top off from the slot. So if the niners go 4 man wr, Trent and Garcon will work the short and intermediate while Pettis and Goodwin will work the deep, if you don't fly with them- boom. If you do - all the underneath comes open- which doesn't include whoever is playing in the backfield.

Pettis for now will relieve any of the three and will step in and replace them if they are injured. This assures Jimmy and the O won't have a lack of weapons due to injury. Make the D run and run all over the field.

Field position will be good too from his punt return.

Originally posted by WildBill:
We don't know what coaches see or how they intend to use him. Jerry Rice pick would have been blasted today.

Pettis at this point in time the the punt returner who blow it up. Holds the record for most TDs returned for career.

If he had done the combine or pro day, he would have shot up the draft charts. The guy has what Kyle wants separation ability plus top end speed. In 2016 he did a hand held time of 4.39, which most likely translates to 4.43 by electronic. After the 2017 season and if he trained for the combined like most players do, I think it is safe to say he would have timed in the 4.3's. Watching videos, his three cone drill would be off the chart.

The reason people slate him for the slot is because of his slight frame at 188 lbs, with some training he can get up to 200. He is almost 6-1, just a tad shy. He can play all three positions. Also think that people are mistaken that he does not have the potential to be a future #1. He is different than Trent. He can take the top off from the slot. So if the niners go 4 man wr, Trent and Garcon will work the short and intermediate while Pettis and Goodwin will work the deep, if you don't fly with them- boom. If you do - all the underneath comes open- which doesn't include whoever is playing in the backfield.

Pettis for now will relieve any of the three and will step in and replace them if they are injured. This assures Jimmy and the O won't have a lack of weapons due to injury. Make the D run and run all over the field.

This is ridiculous. Pettis also weighed 186 at the combine, not 188. Not a big difference, but not sure why you keep posting that he's 188 and I'm not sure he'll ever weigh 200 pounds.

In no universe is a 4.39 hand timed 40 equivalent to a 4.43 at the combine. The general rule of thumb is you add 0.1-0.15 seconds depending on conditions. He was expected to run ~4.49 had he run at the combine which is a good time but not elite.

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=131328&draftyear=2018&genpos=wr
Originally posted by mayo49:

And you've reached that conclusion before he's played a single NFL snap? Impressive foresight.

I'm guessing you knew Antonio Brown was going to be the best WR in the league the minute he was drafted in the sixth round out of CMU.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by WildBill:

This is ridiculous. Pettis also weighed 186 at the combine, not 188. Not a big difference, but not sure why you keep posting that he's 188 and I'm not sure he'll ever weigh 200 pounds.

In no universe is a 4.39 hand timed 40 equivalent to a 4.43 at the combine. The general rule of thumb is you add 0.1-0.15 seconds depending on conditions. He was expected to run ~4.49 had he run at the combine which is a good time but not elite.

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=131328&draftyear=2018&genpos=wr

Does it really matter? Jarvis Landry is 5'11", 203 and ran a 4.77 at the combine, granted he injured himself in the process.

People are obsessed with finding a Randy Moss type receiver that's 6'4" and runs a 4.3. It'd be nice, but it's not necessary for success. For every Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson, there's an Antonio Brown or a Desean Jackson.

We got a guy that can contribute in that role immediately. It was the second round, not the top-15. I don't think he's a #1 and it's debatable whether this class had any legit #1 prospects. That doesn't mean we should avoid playmakers.

He's explosive with the ball in his hands. We needed that element desperately. People would've been happier with another WR (Gallup, Miller, Chark, etc), but Pettis is a huge upgrade over Taylor and the guy Kyle envisioned in his offense. Not only can he work the middle of the field like Taylor, but he can also do something after he catches the ball. Goodwin and Garçon can't make people miss and score. Pettis adds that type of ability.

In 2017, we were basically a possession, move the chains offense. We saw a lot FGs because we didn't have explosive athletes catching the ball. That's precisely why McKinnon and Pettis were such priorities for Kyle.

People are so hung up on value and their perception of where players will be drafted that they can't see what we got in return.

His return ability alone makes him a 3rd-4th rounder. While his production in 2017 wasn't great, go look at what he did in 2016. The talent and potential is certainly there.

If he's featured in this offense he should rival the production of any WR in this class. Losing the 3rd is what bothers so many people and I get that.

A gadget/complimentary WR in Kyle's offense still has a big role. Just as people complained about overpaying for a FB, Brieda as our #2, signing Goodwin, overpaying for Garçon, and so on, Kyle had a vision and by the end of the year we saw it come together. (Thanks Jimmy). He needs playmakers and he got one that can also improve the return game tremendously.

I'm not a complete homer though. I'm surprised he went before Kirk, who I thought was the better fit. I loved Pettis for us though. I called Pettis and Key as our next picks leading into day 3, but didn't expect him to go so early. It is what it is though. A lot of guys fell and many went earlier. That's just the inexact science and mainstream groupthink that shapes our expectations going into it. No one will care where exactly they were drafted if they're a "hit". That's all that matters.

Street is the mind-boggling pick to me. Even heathy I'd hate the pick. Lynch owns the defensive picks and that one seems ridiculous
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Hilarious to see how he's unanimously praised by the zone then when we TAKE him some flip out because it wasn't where they planned it.

Somebody even projected a 2nd/3rd round pick.

darn Lynch... always reaching...

j/k
Share 49ersWebzone