LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

Auburn VS Georgia... Who to watch for?

Roquan is such a good blitzer. Closes in the blink of an eye.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Yea I meant Roquan ...so I get our defense only thing I'm not getting is this sam LB and Leo spots... Is it tha same ??? Trying to do research on draft picks ...

Think of SAM as your 3-4 outside line backer. You need to be able to rush the passer, drop back in coverage, and contain the edge in the run game. They play on the line of scrimmage so they need to be able to take on and/or shed blocks from the TE and RT. Roquan is too small to handle these responsibilities on an every down basis. He will excel at weakside line backer where he can move around in space and utilize his superior athleticism.

As for LEO, this is a defensive end. Must be solid in the run game but is more often than not your best pass rusher. Our defense wants someone long, fast, and bendy.
I'm not watching, how is Braden Smith holding up?
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Think of SAM as your 3-4 outside line backer. You need to be able to rush the passer, drop back in coverage, and contain the edge in the run game. They play on the line of scrimmage so they need to be able to take on and/or shed blocks from the TE and RT. Roquan is too small to handle these responsibilities on an every down basis. He will excel at weakside line backer where he can move around in space and utilize his superior athleticism.

As for LEO, this is a defensive end. Must be solid in the run game but is more often than not your best pass rusher. Our defense wants someone long, fast, and bendy.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Roquan is everywhere.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Yea I meant Roquan ...so I get our defense only thing I'm not getting is this sam LB and Leo spots... Is it tha same ??? Trying to do research on draft picks ...

Ok thanks so we're playing a 3-4 under style basically ??? (Thanks madden fooball lol)
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Roquan is ok. He reminds me of a smaller Jaylon Smith.
D*mn Swift kid got wheels
Anyone notice Chubb kinda runs like Frankie
Originally posted by HERN:

Yea I guess tha MVP of tha game is just ok ... 13 tackles 1 sack 1 fumble recovery JUST OK

M-V-P

Top notch instincts, top notch athleticism, top notch tackling, but where he really shines is coverage. An amazing prospect. He doesn't need to be a thumper LB for what his role would be in the scheme. John Lynch has got to be flashing back to guys like Derrick Brooks when he sees Smith play.
Ok thanks so we're playing a 3-4 under style basically ??? (Thanks madden fooball lol)

Practically. Alignment is the same. I'm no expert, but I'd say only difference is the prototypical weakside end in our 4-3 would be a little different from a 3-4 Under WOLB as they would (except for under Saleh) not be expected to ever drop back in coverage.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Top notch instincts, top notch athleticism, top notch tackling, but where he really shines is coverage. An amazing prospect. He doesn't need to be a thumper LB for what his role would be in the scheme. John Lynch has got to be flashing back to guys like Derrick Brooks when he sees Smith play.

I didn't see that at all.

I'm not saying he's not good, just saying that he's not what I envisioned for a LB.

I see him more of a SS than a LB. Maybe the position they wanted Reid to play.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I didn't see that at all.

I'm not saying he's not good, just saying that he's not what I envisioned for a LB.

I see him more of a SS than a LB. Maybe the position they wanted Reid to play.

I only saw a few minutes of the game today. However, from what I have seen of Smith he is an elite cover LB and an elite tackler. Maybe you think he is a SS because he is listed at around 220 pounds? Not sure but he certainly has the size to play the weakside LB spot.
Share 49ersWebzone