LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

If we spend another high 1st-round pick on a DL, I will be...

If we spend another high 1st-round pick on a DL, I will be...

Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Niners need a speedy OLB/pass rusher like Aldon Smith before he lost his mind. If Chubb proves to be that guy by showing some amazing athleticism at the Combine, then so be it.

Chubb is a beast but he doesn't look quick for an edge. Maybe it just looks like that on tape. Curious on what his 40 time is

Yes, combine will tell us a lot. That's the difference between Chubb going top 3 like Solomon and Top 15 like Derek Barnett.

Another guy I'm high on is Minkah Fitzpatrick. If he blows up the combine, which he might do, he'll be touted the next Jalen Ramsey and push the top 3 as well.

Man, I love draft season. And when you're team is 1-9, it starts early
Originally posted by titan:
Chubb or Gurly? Who's better?

Wrong Chubb. But gurley
I voted fine with it simply because a premier pass rusher is a huge need and the new regime didn't draft Armsdead so it's not like they built this roster. Buckner is the only Baalke lineman that's worth a ship.

Buckner and Thomas are the only guys that will be here in 2019 into 2020 so it's not like we're set on the line. We really do need a pass rusher. It could REALLY open up Buckner and Thomas' game.

Anyway, I'd be fine with it but would like to get a great WR, gaurds and a RB but a pass rusher generating 10+ sacks a year is more important. We have so many needs you really can't get a draft crush this year. Not a player or a position.

If we trade back around pick 4 through 8 we can draft a DE/OLB and still get a good gaurd, WR or RB. Heck, we could still go d-line at #2 or 3 overall and draft a decent player in round 2 (maybe trade up some). If we address the o-line in free agency we could get a very good RB with our second pick. There's also a couple large WR's that will likley be in the second round.

I see us going after a pass rusher, gaurd or WR with our first selection.
[ Edited by LeProfessionnel on Nov 17, 2017 at 10:12 PM ]
Originally posted by lbc49er:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
only if its a true LEO

Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Well if it's an edge rusher i don't see a problem.

Originally posted by dlance:
If there is an edge rusher worth drafting in the top 3 I'm OK with it.

I think that's the consensus!

Or a SAM in base that can give us pass rush and slides to Leo in nickel.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Nov 18, 2017 at 3:39 AM ]
Edge or trade down.
Originally posted by English:
Edge or trade down.

Do you still count a pass rushing SAM that can slide to the elephant in nickel as an edge?
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Nov 18, 2017 at 3:40 AM ]
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Edge or trade down.

Do you still count a pass rushing SAM that can slide to the elephant in nickel as an edge?

To be honest I have had enough of Swiss Army penknife players who can do a bit of this and a bit of that. I want an edge rusher who will become feared around the NFL for getting to the qb and bringing him down. If he has flexibility and can line up in other positions on the line then that is a bonus I guess.

My understanding of the SAM in a 4-3 is that he frequently ends up tackling the running back. Actually I think our running D is ok and potentially rather good. I just was someone to get after the qb.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Chubb or nothing. Chubb will dominate for years to come.

This. I have a feeling Cleveland will steal another edge rusher away from us though.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Chubb would be great but not sure what that means for Thomas.

Nothing. Thomas shouldn't be at LEO.

LE- Thomas
NT- Mitchell
RT- Buckner
LEO- Chubb

Thomas slides inside on passing downs replacing Mitchell. Blair or another edge rusher comes in
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

LE- Thomas
NT- Mitchell
RT- Buckner
LEO- Chubb

Thomas slides inside on passing downs replacing Mitchell. Blair or another edge rusher comes in

His point is Chubb isn't a natural LEO either. He's not a bendy edge rusher like Landry and he doesn't have the length+athleticism of Key. We'd be better off trading back and getting a more natural fit at LEO than picking Chubb in the top 5 if he ends up being the top prospect of the 3.

if its another interior DT who can't rush from outside, yeah I'll be pissed. Lynch would have to be trolling the fanbase at that point.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

LE- Thomas
NT- Mitchell
RT- Buckner
LEO- Chubb

Replace Chubb with Landry and I'm on board. Landry brings something we don't already have and dare I say, everyone on the line will have their pressures, hits, and sack numbers go up in Landry was on our line.
Edge or trade down.

To be honest I have had enough of Swiss Army penknife players who can do a bit of this and a bit of that. I want an edge rusher who will become feared around the NFL for getting to the qb and bringing him down. If he has flexibility and can line up in other positions on the line then that is a bonus I guess.

My understanding of the SAM in a 4-3 is that he frequently ends up tackling the running back. Actually I think our running D is ok and potentially rather good. I just was someone to get after the qb.

Well. Ill just say this.. Von Miller played SAM when he was in a 4-3. Bruce Irvin played SAM in SEA and now Melvin Ingram is having a GREAT season in the same system playing SAM. Vic Beasley is also a SAM in this same system and slides to DE in nickel.

Its not a swiss army knife deal at all. Just think of it as being a 3-4 OLB that can pass rush. 3-4 OLBs in nickel play DE like Aldon and Brooks did for us.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Nov 18, 2017 at 11:58 AM ]
Edge or trade down.

Vic Beasley is the SAM in ATL
Originally posted by genus49:

Nothing. Chubb would play Leo and it would allow us to play Thomas where he should at big end or 3T.

And as for the poll, drafting BPA is the smart way to go. That was the case last year and it should remain that way.

idk why people keep thinking that Thomas is a edge rusher.
Share 49ersWebzone