LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 197 users in the forums

Flipping Jimmy Garappolo

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-jimmy-garoppolo-trade-first-second-round-pick-tom-brady-fantasy-stats-san-francisco-49ers-quarterback/amp

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/immy-garoppolo-new-england-patriots-trade-first-round-pick-tom-brady

They were asking for a late 1st and 4th early in the season (similar haul to Bradford). As the season goes on, Garapollo becomes less and less valuable because he has less time remaining on his contract before a team has to decide whether to tag him or sign him to a huge deal.

And I'm not advocating trading Garapollo, I'm just pointing out that there's no way the Browns would make that trade. I'm not sure why Hyde was even thrown in since the Browns can just sign him in free agency if they really want to and they don't have a need at RB to begin with.

We paid fair market value for Garapollo and I we try to flip him, we'll get less than that in return because we'd be declaring to the rest of the league that we don't think he's a franchise QB. The only way we trade him is if Shanahan thinks we made a mistake giving up our 2nd round pick for him or we can't convince him to sign a long term deal with us, but he'll sign one elsewhere.

If the Browns hired McD, worked out a contract with Jimmy during the trading process now we're talking about a realistic scenario but even then I think the most we get is Houston's 1st.

There's alot hurdles in trying to flip Jimmy because he would be on the tag. Why would you rent when you can own?
Give up Garappolo, Hyde (2018 FA), Saint's 2018 2nd round pick, and our 2019 2nd round pick to move up, what, 3 slots???

That's insane!

If you're going to trade Garappolo, all you need to do is put the franchise tag on him after the season and wait for the phone to ring from teams willing to give up two 1st rounders. (There will be plenty of interest) Only trade with the Brown's if they're willing to part with their 1st and 7th draft picks in the first round, otherwise, you stay put. When you have leverage, you use it, you don't give it all away, especially when Shanahan and Lynch are holding all the cards.

[ Edited by vermonator on Nov 10, 2017 at 7:15 AM ]
We need a new forum. The Fantasy Forum.
I'd take Jimmy at $22M per, Hyde, and two 2nds over Rosen at 10% of that.
Originally posted by English:

Since we're pitching fantasy scenarios. Colts hire McD. Jimmy for Luck straight up. That would only be if we were struggling with Jimmy for some reason. Personally I think all this trade talk is bs. We got our franchise qb in Jimmy.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Since we're pitching fantasy scenarios. Colts hire McD. Jimmy for Luck straight up. That would only be if we were struggling with Jimmy for some reason. Personally I think all this trade talk is bs. We got our franchise qb in Jimmy.

With his shoulder issues i wouldn't trade for Luck.
All that to move up 1 spot in the draft? Lol

there is. it's called Fantasy Sports. move this there.

True that
Hyde is a free agent!!! In before the lock!!!

Originally posted by vermonator:
Give up Garappolo, Hyde (2018 FA), Saint's 2018 2nd round pick, and our 2019 2nd round pick to move up, what, 3 slots???

That's insane!

If you're going to trade Garappolo, all you need to do is put the franchise tag on him after the season and wait for the phone to ring from teams willing to give up two 1st rounders. (There will be plenty of interest) Only trade with the Brown's if they're willing to part with their 1st and 7th draft picks in the first round, otherwise, you stay put. When you have leverage, you use it, you don't give it all away, especially when Shanahan and Lynch are holding all the cards.

You guys are delusional. If the Patriots could have tagged Garapollo and flipped him for 2 first round picks, they would have. They couldn't get a late first round pick and couldn't get more than a 2nd round pick from us. Giving Garapollo the tag doesn't magically make him more valuable - anyone who traded with the Patriots for him could have tagged him. The 49ers being willing to move on from Garapollo when we don't have Tom Brady on the roster would hurt his trade value however.

Why not propose we trade a free agent RB (Hyde) straight up for the #1 pick while you're at it. Maybe flip Tank Carradine for the #7 pick too.
That seems to be pretty much it.
Share 49ersWebzone