LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Flipping Jimmy Garappolo

Disclaimer: 9MOON esque hypothetical

If given the chance, who here would trade Jimmy G, Carlos Hyde, Saint's 2018 2nd round pick, and our 2019 2nd round pick to Cleveland for the #1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft?

This sounds crazy at first, but it could actually make more sense for both sides than you would initially think.

The browns are likely to use the first pick on a QB. The browns clearly like Jimmy, based on the knowledge that they tried to trade a first rounder for him last off season. They are also clearly desperate for a FQB based on the knowledge that they were wanting to trade for AJ Mccarron at this year's trade deadline. They'd still have another high first round pick, and if they're going to take a QB anyway, why not take one they feel better about, while also getting a starting caliber RB, and an extra 2nd round pick in both this year's and the next's draft. That's a FQB, RB1, top 10 pick, and 4 second round picks in the top of this year's draft alone.

As for the niners, JG may be slightly less of a gamble, based on the minimal amount of NFL snaps he has has, and who he has been coached up under and beside, but he is still a gamble none the less. Being able to trade down both the #1 and #2 overall picks can do wonders for a team so devoid of talent, with so many holes, in the 2nd year of a complete tear down and rebuild. The infusion of talent and youth can set us up to be competitive within a season or two, and to remain that way for 5-10 years.

Worst case scenario from this trade would be we can't find a partner with whom to trade down, and you end up with your QB1 and Saquon Barkley at 1 and 2. Depending on who you ask, they might call that a wash vs Jimmy G and Hyde...

Personally, at this moment, I wouldn't make the trade, as I believe more in Jimmy G than any QB in this class, and I think it's too unrealistic to expect to hit on even 65% of the draft class, no matter how many picks we have. However, I definitely think it's something to consider, should the 1 in a million chance of this scenario actually becoming available happen.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Nov 9, 2017 at 9:46 PM ]
Reall y?
We are more likely to flip our first pick then flip Jimmy G.
Not happening
  • jcs
  • Veteran
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Nov 9, 2017 at 9:05 PM ]
WTF! Hell no.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
WTF!!!!!! Hell no, Why would we mortgage the future? When you get your possible FQB you go giving it away, much less with all the other personnel. No no no!

Beyond this being ridiculous, Hyde isn't under contract for next season.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I definetly need to go get the new Madden.
Perhaps this was too 9moon of a post, but you could still draft a potential FQB
I support you, bro.
Share 49ersWebzone