There are 181 users in the forums

Rashaad Penny, RB, SDSU

Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 9moon:
The money we gave McKinnon, he should be the starting back.. but that would only mean that we F*** UP big time by signing him because there's no way he's gonna beat PENNY..

If Penny gets behind a decent O Line and stays healthy I would bet he puts up bigger numbers than McKinnon. We paid a lot for him for what he brings. But he does bring some speed at least and the ability to catch out of the backfield. But he's not a bell cow back who will carry the load. Penny can be that for sure. The combination of the 2 would actually be great if we can land it.

I'm all for it. Brieda and Williams cannot be the third and one back. And I think they would be a great one-two punch. Possibly the best in the NFL. I don't care how much money we paid one running back penny is not going to make a ton of money for his first few years.

All of that is true. Plus if we did land him we instantly have one of the best backfields in the NFL. Plus lots and lots of speed between the two of them. Even a speedy bell cow in Penny. It would take a lot of pressure off of Jimmy G. They would really have to stop our run game. Then Jimmy would pick them apart easily. It would be great for this team. I would love to land him. Plus he is an awesome return man. He would help us a lot there too if we decided to use him there. But in the NFL often they don't want to risk injury to a starting RB. So maybe just in the playoffs they would use him like that.
Penny is a must have in my book!!
Originally posted by BigBug415:

Our backfield is amongst the best in the NFL on day one if we land him. Man when you factor in what we did in free agency plus possibly adding Penny. Wow. Teams would be scared of that backfield.

Plus it would give Jimmy G a lot of room to operate. Because teams would have to commit to stop the run. It would make this team very dangerous.

I would love to somehow land him.

Our backfield is amongst the best in the NFL on day one if we land him. Man when you factor in what we did in free agency plus possibly adding Penny. Wow. Teams would be scared of that backfield.

Plus it would give Jimmy G a lot of room to operate. Because teams would have to commit to stop the run. It would make this team very dangerous.

I agree with you 100% I live in San Diego also and been to a few games. I would love this guy as a 49er. Thought of having Him paired with Mckinnon makes me drool. Just could imagine what Kyle would draw up with the 2
Originally posted by SixOneNiner:

I agree with you 100% I live in San Diego also and been to a few games. I would love this guy as a 49er. Thought of having Him paired with Mckinnon makes me drool. Just could imagine what Kyle would draw up with the 2

Yeah that would be an amazing backfield. Among the best in the NFL.
Donnel Pumphrey.....5'8" 176 lbs. 4.48 forty yard dash.

Rashaad Penny........5'11" 220 lbs. 4.46 forty yard dash.

The guys who know so much about RB's say this is the SAME exact guy for pro potential.....

Pumphrey was shifty and quick with pretty good vision. He was a good college player. But I always personally thought he was marginal as a pro prospect.

Penny on the other hand is almost 50 pounds heavier, 3 inches taller, catches much better out of the backfield (he was so effective catching they thought about putting him at WR at San Diego State but decided his RB value was higher), is one of the best KR/PR in the nation and maybe even the best one. He had 7 KR's for TD's which is tied for an FBS record. Which is even more impressive when you consider they were scared to kick to him and mostly avoided him. He would have more if they kicked to him. He also has returned punts for TD's.

The comparison just doesn't make sense. It proves they don't understand the position IMO. Almost 50 pounds heavier, even faster long speed, just as shifty and quick, very great vision, better catching the ball out of the backfield, a far better KR/PR. Penny is just light years better as an NFL prospect. I honestly can't believe people make this comparison. It makes absolutely no sense. Penny is just a way, way better NFL prospect and IMO was the better college player too. I saw both play for years and Penny is better and the real deal.

Lol, over a month later and you're still misreading the posts. No one in this thread has ever said that pumphrey and penny are similar players or prospects
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Donnel Pumphrey.....5'8" 176 lbs. 4.48 forty yard dash.

Rashaad Penny........5'11" 220 lbs. 4.46 forty yard dash.

The guys who know so much about RB's say this is the SAME exact guy for pro potential.....

Pumphrey was shifty and quick with pretty good vision. He was a good college player. But I always personally thought he was marginal as a pro prospect.

Penny on the other hand is almost 50 pounds heavier, 3 inches taller, catches much better out of the backfield (he was so effective catching they thought about putting him at WR at San Diego State but decided his RB value was higher), is one of the best KR/PR in the nation and maybe even the best one. He had 7 KR's for TD's which is tied for an FBS record. Which is even more impressive when you consider they were scared to kick to him and mostly avoided him. He would have more if they kicked to him. He also has returned punts for TD's.

The comparison just doesn't make sense. It proves they don't understand the position IMO. Almost 50 pounds heavier, even faster long speed, just as shifty and quick, very great vision, better catching the ball out of the backfield, a far better KR/PR. Penny is just light years better as an NFL prospect. I honestly can't believe people make this comparison. It makes absolutely no sense. Penny is just a way, way better NFL prospect and IMO was the better college player too. I saw both play for years and Penny is better and the real deal.

Lol, over a month later and you're still misreading the posts. No one in this thread has ever said that pumphrey and penny are similar players or prospects

Yes there are people suggesting just that in this thread and they are WRONG!
I think the Niners need to take a hard look at him at 70 and 74 if he is on the board. Really good player who has the potential of being a three down back. Needs some work for sure, but a lot of tools to work with.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the Niners need to take a hard look at him at 70 and 74 if he is on the board. Really good player who has the potential of being a three down back. Needs some work for sure, but a lot of tools to work with.

I think he will be gone long before that pick range. But I would love to land him wherever we can land him. If we can that is. He would be awesome for this team and really help us a lot. He will have a very good pro career if he stays healthy IMO. He has tremendous ability in a lot of ways. Plus huge production too.
Congrats SD... you nailed it!

SD was so right on this one. Wow late 1st rounder. I has a sad cuz I wanted him. Royce Freeman would be a nice consolation at 74.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
The guy is homerun hitter, it doesn't surprise me Seattle took him
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Dude belongs in the 1st -- hard to see how we get him without acquiring new assets on a trade down.

He's likely going to get pushed down the board due to how deep the RB class is. This draft is loaded with talented RBs.

Hate the Seahawks. But 1st round is where Penny belongs.
I had this guy as my #2 RB, #14 overall on my board. Super fun guy to watch, Seahawks got a beast potential pro bowler.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
I had this guy as my #2 RB, #14 overall on my board. Super fun guy to watch, Seahawks got a beast potential pro bowler.

he is going to have a tough time behind that line
Share 49ersWebzone