There are 245 users in the forums

Minkah Fitzpatrick - CB/S, Alabama

Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Lol 4:04. I'm not hating- just literally laughed out loud when I saw that.

Damn, got flopped hard

1. A DB getting pancaked by an SEC LT on one of the best run blocking olines and in the National Championship game is nothing to be ashamed of.

2. Because the LT was blocking him, the edge guy was 1 on 1 with a guard and tipped the ball and cause the INT.

3. Watching the whole video, it's obvious that Georgia was trying to avoid throwing to whomever he was covering.
[ Edited by flynhayn15 on Apr 22, 2018 at 11:15 AM ]
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
1. A DB getting pancaked by an SEC LT on one of the best run blocking olines and in the National Championship game is nothing to be ashamed of.

2. Because the LT was blocking him, the edge guy was 1 on 1 with a guard and tipped the ball and cause the INT.

3. Watching the whole video, it's obvious that Georgia was trying to avoid throwing to whomever he was covering.

And that's great don't get me wrong his good...but like I said I think he's most optimal position is in the slot (he even said this) imo that's not worth the 9th overall pick.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 22, 2018 at 11:26 AM ]
And that's great don't get me wrong his good...but like I said I think he's most optimal position is in the slot (he even said this) imo that's not worth the 9th overall pick.

I totally agree. A slot corner is not worth the #9 pick.

A guy who can play every position in the secondary well? That is absolutely worth the #9 and that is what Minkah gives you.

That he happens to be a good kid with outstanding work ethic and character, those are bonuses.
I'm sorry I don't see it at all (single high FS)

Vs Clemson in 2016 he seemed to play safety more than this yr and imo he's much more effective in the slot and playing closer to the line.

Saw him whiff on a tackle that turned into a TD and blown coverage on another play.

Dude is a good player and I love his makeup. I don't think he's a game changer on defense and more of a luxury.

Think we got to agree to disagree there. A lot of people believe that Minkah is best suited for free safety, from Bucky Brooks to Jeremiah to Cosell and so on. He's at his best when everything is in front of him and he is simply allowed to read and react. He has the necessary speed and coverage skills to play man to man.

I think his potential is All Pro caliber, especially if teams take full advantage of his versatility the way the Cards did with Mathieu.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Think we got to agree to disagree there. A lot of people believe that Minkah is best suited for free safety, from Bucky Brooks to Jeremiah to Cosell and so on. He's at his best when everything is in front of him and he is simply allowed to read and react.

I think his potential is All Pro caliber, especially if teams take full advantage of his versatility the way the Cards did with Mathieu.

Bucky brooks and DJ I agree, I think things are better when in front of him, just not 10-15 yards away. That film from the Clemson game when he was playing safety was not great IMO. When closer to the line and in the slot hell yeah.

But yeah we will agree to disagree.
Think we got to agree to disagree there. A lot of people believe that Minkah is best suited for free safety, from Bucky Brooks to Jeremiah to Cosell and so on. He's at his best when everything is in front of him and he is simply allowed to read and react. He has the necessary speed and coverage skills to play man to man.

Only I don't think he can play every position in the secondary...honestly I don't want a guy who can be good all over the field, I want someone who can be dominant at one position and imo for Minkah that's in the slot...Minkah has even said I himself.

I don't think he's a game changer based on where he would play his best ball...great talent and if he's the pick I'm gonna support it...would be very underwhelm with it though.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 22, 2018 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by flynhayn15:

I said I wasn't hating. I agree with everything you said.

But it was really funny.
Bucky brooks and DJ I agree, I think things are better when in front of him, just not 10-15 yards away. That film from the Clemson game when he was playing safety was not great IMO. When closer to the line and in the slot hell yeah.

But yeah we will agree to disagree.

You're talking about one game against possibly the best offense in college football. Even Earl Thomas gives up plays at times. Go and look at some of the other games when he was filling in for Jackson.

Kollman also does a goob job of arguing why Minkah can be a single high safety.

Only I don't think he can play every position in the secondary...honestly I don't want a guy who can be good all over the field, I want someone who can be dominant at one position and imo for Minkah that's in the slot...Minkah has even said I himself.

I don't think he's a game changer based on where he would play his best ball...great talent and if he's the pick I'm gonna support it...would be very underwhelm with it though.

Why not? Mathieu in 2015, Malcolm Jenkins last year for Philly were some of the best defenders in football. Their DC's took full advantage of their versatility. Mathieu was an All Pro despite being a slot corner/safety/LB.

Well I've never been crazy about drafting Minkah at 9 like NY said, but I would take him over Edmunds. I assume he would simply be all over the field for us, but again I think none projects to be a fantastic FS. I think having Colbert makes that moot (at least at 9)
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Man, I'm starting to get cold feet on Fitzpatrick - I hope he's the right choice.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Man, I'm starting to get cold feet on Fitzpatrick - I hope he's the right choice.

No need to worry, the 49ers are going with generational punter Michael Dickson at #9.

#BookIt!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

No need to worry, the 49ers are going with generational punter Michael Dickson at #9.

#BookIt!

Good, I hears he's got a great leg.

#BookIt!

Good, I hears he's got a great leg.

Number of times we will punt next year: 0
Share 49ersWebzone