LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

So what do we do in the 2018 draft now we have Jimmy G?

So what do we do in the 2018 draft now we have Jimmy G?

We need to focus on offensive talent to give Jimmy every shot to be successful. Not only will it improve our offense, but unlike the defensive side of the ball, it will directly contribute to the likelihood we have a FQB (it's great he had an ideal spot to learn, but if he starts in the current offense we could permanently ruin him).

Add 2 interior OL in free agency and round 3-5 of draft (starting caliber offensive guards hit FA every year and can be found past round 1-2). Trade down with our first to around 10 and then trade up from Saints 2nd rd pick with what we get from trade back to get two picks in the top 20. Use these 2 picks on the best available between WR, OT, and Edge. Those positions aren't elite at top but have very good depth in later first round so should find great value in that range.

We could walk away with two of Conner Williams, Calvin Ridley and Arden Key.
Depends on what they do in FA but I would take either the best offensive weapon(Barkley), the best OL(Nelson) or whoever the best edge rusher might be.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Depends on what they do in FA but I would take either the best offensive weapon(Barkley), the best OL(Nelson) or whoever the best edge rusher might be.

Agreed. I would hope the Niners invest some of the cap space they have on the offensive line during free agency. If they have a new C AND OG to replace Kilgore/Fusco/Beadles, I would feel much better going into the draft. Then standing pat and taking the best available of the 3 prospects you mention is possible. If they do nothing, then trading down with some QB needy team to replenish their draft capital is almost a certainty.
I hope we end up getting #1 or #2 at worse then trade down to get a bunch of other picks.

If we can find a way to walk away with 3 of the following in the first 2 rounds - Connor Williams, Quenton Nelson, Courtland Sutton, Billy Price, Mason Cole...I would call it an awesome foundation for our offense.
1st round - Edge Rusher

Mid rounds - O Line
Draft the best player in the draft. Passing on top talent is how the Browns have stayed terrible.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Draft the best player in the draft. Passing on top talent is how the Browns have stayed terrible.

To a certain extent. They also traded down instead of drafting franchise type QBs which hasn't helped. They may not have been playoff contenders but with Wentz or Watson at QB they may have won a game this year.
Originally posted by genus49:

To a certain extent. They also traded down instead of drafting franchise type QBs which hasn't helped. They may not have been playoff contenders but with Wentz or Watson at QB they may have won a game this year.

They traded back when they had the opportunity to draft Julio. And they did absolutely nothing with all the acquired picks from that trade.

Take the stud, don't think twice.
They traded back when they had the opportunity to draft Julio. And they did absolutely nothing with all the acquired picks from that trade.

Take the stud, don't think twice.

I think it depends on the state of the team. This year I think we're better off trading down but I also think QB will be BPA at our pick which brings tremendous trade value. But you're right constantly trading down just gets you into trouble more times than not.
Fortunately, there will be some very good interior OL in FA. I'd sign Brian Schwenke (C, Titans) and Trai Turner (OG, Carolina). If either's franchised, there are other good C's and OG's who'll be available. I think Garnett will win the LG position, so even before the draft, Shanahan would have a much-improved OL. I'd draft a top OT and OG/C. Signing starting C and OG could mean they still go after Barkley. He's such a stud and would give Coach a big-time playmaker in his backfield. Don't pretend to know whether they intend to try & retain Hyde or not, but even if they do re-sign him, think about a backfield of Hyde, Barkley, Williams & Breida...woof. Obviously, Coach needs some WR's with size who can go get the ball. Between FA and the draft, they should make considerable progress in upgrading the receiving corps. Agree, OL has to be the top priority.

beef up the OLine
Barkley or trade down. If we're #1 I would trade down.
Trade down if we can but Barkley, Fitzpatrick or one of the top OL please...
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Barkley or trade down. If we're #1 I would trade down.

I keep saying this but if we are at 1 we can do a bears trade with Cleveland so they can secure Rosen. That's best case scenerio IMO, they have multiple picks in each round so we can get another 2nd, 3rd, and something the following year.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
In addition to hitting on our top-100 picks, this sorry team needs to hit on a couple 100-200 players over the next few years.
Share 49ersWebzone