There are 224 users in the forums

So what do we do in the 2018 draft now we have Jimmy G?

So what do we do in the 2018 draft now we have Jimmy G?

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
If they all declare that really helps us. If they are already projected to be top 5 picks why wait another year when you could not be top5?

It would be stupid. Not to mention the way the Browns are going they'll be picking #1 again next season too :)

so true
Originally posted by 9er4lyphe:
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Trade down and protect Jimmy G with the best O-Line for Shanny's system.

This

Keep Jimmy G upright and we can be dam good.
OL
CB
LB
WR

Priorities for the draft/FA
Need to add edge rusher to that list
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Need to add edge rusher to that list

LB includes OLB and MLB, we need one of each imo
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Well, when I started this I didn't see Jimmy G pushing us to 4 wins and potentially a 5-10 pick. I think we've got little chance of a trade pick now, although if we lose the next 2 and the Texans beat the Colts then I think we will pick 4th.

That puts us in a good spot for Barkley, I'm really not sure what our other options would be at that pick if we don't need a QB.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Well, when I started this I didn't see Jimmy G pushing us to 4 wins and potentially a 5-10 pick. I think we've got little chance of a trade pick now, although if we lose the next 2 and the Texans beat the Colts then I think we will pick 4th.

That puts us in a good spot for Barkley, I'm really not sure what our other options would be at that pick if we don't need a QB.

I do agree that the blockbuster trade for Darnold or Rosen is gone, there still could be that very old trade for Jackson or Mayfield.

If we stand pat and Barkley is there it's almost a no brainer.

OL is a big priority but my preference is to bring in 2 FA interior guys, you then pick another 2 in the draft, and hope Garnett picks up, let them all compete.

Now if that means picking a Price, Teller, Braden Smith over a Nelson, then fine we've just got the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by Buchy:

I do agree that the blockbuster trade for Darnold or Rosen is gone, there still could be that very old trade for Jackson or Mayfield.

If we stand pat and Barkley is there it's almost a no brainer.

OL is a big priority but my preference is to bring in 2 FA interior guys, you then pick another 2 in the draft, and hope Garnett picks up, let them all compete.

Now if that means picking a Price, Teller, Braden Smith over a Nelson, then fine we've just got the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson

Josh Allen might be our ticket to a mini trade down. Broncos,Jets and Cards pick 9-11.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Josh Allen might be our ticket to a mini trade down. Broncos,Jets and Cards pick 9-11.

It's true, he will shoot up boards in the offseason as more scouts see a prototype QB and forget the college tape.

What happens if we trade to around 9-11 and Nelson, Smith, Ridley and Landry have all been taken?

It's true, he will shoot up boards in the offseason as more scouts see a prototype QB and forget the college tape.

What happens if we trade to around 9-11 and Nelson, Smith, Ridley and Landry have all been taken?

He plays tomorrow... Believe first time in a minute which is now telling me thats kinda what hes been waiting and preparing for. Pray he blows the doors off

As far as your question doe... Man, you gotta think someone would take Minkah Fitz and leave one of us those 3 to us no? I also then think Mayfield/Lamar is in play to go ahead of our selection as well.

Sounds like gambling a lil right?

Who knows, maybe were high on Connor Williams/Ferrell as well.

After typing all this,taking a few seconds to think, my gut says from past moves they wanna get their guy fa sho.. Not pray for the best with the left overs lol. So,dont get too greedy is my overall stance I hope we take
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Dec 22, 2017 at 5:13 AM ]

Draft the best player. Team is still lacking in talent, but getting there slowly.
I like the motivation behind the choices, but do not like the choices themselves. I don't think we are very far from having a truly elite offense. I do not want to rely on the draft to address O-line. There are some great prospects available, but for one, I'm not interested in developing rookies, and it may be cheaper to get good/great O-lineman in free agency and use the draft for skill positions as opposed to doing it the other way around. The only conflict is that I don't want to leave the defense in the cold. I'm thinking a top TE, guard, and receiver would do it, and ironically that could be covered with our first three picks. But we also need to add some defensive starters. Even if we were all healthy, that unit doesn't scream top-10 to me. The edge rusher need is obvious, but I don't think the top edge rushers are in play. It really just all depends on how things look after the senior bowl and combine. If somehow, the more traditional positions that are drafted early begin to emerge, pushing my first round draft crushes (Roquon Smith and Calvin Ridley) down the board, then the trade down possibility opens up and we can work the board and make some things happen. In a normaly year, both of those guys go after pick 11. This year, not so much.

I'm thinking we can settle around 5th. If we were to trade back with the Jets, it could net us a 1st and 2nd this year, which would net us either one of those guys and then we could go with a Jeff Holland with the second pick.

I'll be honest, I really don't see that happening. With all of the QB needy teams (I'll call 3 teams taking QBs in the top 10 right now), Barkley, the hype Sutton is likely to get, the offensive tackles that will be available, Bradley Chubb, and maybe a DB or two can get in the mix, at least one of those guys will be available. I'd just want to stay ahead of the Raiders (who have HUGE defensive needs) and snag Smith first IF Ridley is still on the boards. If that happens, then the trade up options are wide open, and we can package our 2nds and perhaps a 2019 pick (not a first) to get back in the mix for Ridley. Lots of possibilities if those traditional positions that are drafted early put on a show at the next four stages (Bowl games, Senior Bowl, Combine, and Pro Days).
Best player available 100%. We need someone who can start/play 1st game next season. I dont want someone who we plan to change his position or a tweener etc. If its an edge rusher, then let him rush. If its a CB, let him cover, etc.

Ideally i would like best O-lineman.

FA is the interesting part of the off season for me. Hope we can land some solid talent at key spots. The addition of Jimmy G and our positive vibes to close out this season should attract a few guys that would not have chose San Fran a few weeks ago.
This really depends on what we do with Carlos Hyde. If we let Hyde walk in FA, then Saquon Barkley would be a good pick.

However, Hyde is a very good RB. We SHOULD retain him (are you listening John Lynch?). With Hyde back, Staley and Brown returning at OT, Garcon and Goodwin returning at WR.... I don't think there is any 1 player we should target that high in the 1st round. We need interior OL most. It would be better to trade back.... pick up an interior OL later in the 1st and have ammunition to go OT and WR in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by blm7754:
This really depends on what we do with Carlos Hyde. If we let Hyde walk in FA, then Saquon Barkley would be a good pick.

However, Hyde is a very good RB. We SHOULD retain him (are you listening John Lynch?). With Hyde back, Staley and Brown returning at OT, Garcon and Goodwin returning at WR.... I don't think there is any 1 player we should target that high in the 1st round. We need interior OL most. It would be better to trade back.... pick up an interior OL later in the 1st and have ammunition to go OT and WR in the 2nd round.

3.9 yac with Shanny as his HC. Wont break 1k after 4 years in the league. Its time for people to stop making excuses for this guy.

Alfred Morris had 4.8 and 4.6 in DC with Shanny.

Why resign hyde who will be 28 next season and is an obvious poor fit for the system? Breida has the same YPC and is on an UDFA contract. Morris should be available as a FA.

Hyde looks like the weakest link in the chain currently.
Share 49ersWebzone