There are 164 users in the forums

Mike McGlinchey OLT Notre Dame

Now that Rosen won't e a Niner, it's time to take a serious look at the other top prospects in CFB. At this point, I think Saquon Barkley or Mike McGlinchey make the most sense in round 1 (probably at 2 or 3).

Observations:

This guy isn't the next Joe Thomas. However, he could be the next Joe Staley. He's not the athlete Staley was IMO, but he's a pain in the ass for pass rushers. He just seems to have an annoyingly long reach & great hand usage from which it's hard to disengage. Also has quick feet. Has a reputation of being a great character guy & a leader on the field.

Negatives:

Not the best fit for a ZBS IMO. At 6'8 and average athleticism, I don't know how well he's going to move around all game.

He's not as dominant as Quentin Nelson IMO.

Overall:

My instincts say to pass on him and get Saquon Barkley. Other, good left tackles can be had. However, they better figure something out because Jimmy's gonna get killed behind that s**t Niner OL.
I think he's a right tackle at the next level. I don't see him being able to hold up too well against elite NFL edge rushers. His teammate Nelson is a better overall NFL prospect.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Convince me why we should take Barkley. You don't think Hyde will be coming back?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 1, 2017 at 2:40 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think he's a right tackle at the next level. I don't see him being able to hold up too well against elite NFL edge rushers. His teammate Nelson is a better overall NFL prospect.

Which is perfectly fine on this team because we have one of the best pass blocking OT's in Brown who is probably a better LT.
Originally posted by jcs:

Which is perfectly fine on this team because we have one of the best pass blocking OT's in Brown who is probably a better LT.

Even if Brown pans out at LT, it isn't advisable to draft a RT in the top 3 picks IMO.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ltrain:

Even if Brown pans out at LT, it isn't advisable to draft a RT in the top 3 picks IMO.
And yet it happens all the time. This team is using a backup gaurd and a backup undrafted rookie center right now as our OT's....we need not only bodies but talented ones on this team.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
My instincts say to pass on Saquon Barkley & get OL help. Other, good RBs can be had.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Someone will give him a shot as a LT at the next level but I agree the right side is a better fit for him.
i think its going to be Nelson, Barkley, or trade back

Still don't get why people assume Brown can play left tackle with no evidence of it

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i think its going to be Nelson, Barkley, or trade back

They may take Nelson but it wont be at #2 in my opinion. Seriously doubt any team would take a guard with the 2nd pick. However, moving down to around 10, getting another 2nd rd selection and more, and then taking Nelson would be a great move
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

Still don't get why people assume Brown can play left tackle with no evidence of it

True. Certainly nothing to support that he would be better at LT.
Originally posted by Jcool:
My instincts say to pass on Saquon Barkley & get OL help. Other, good RBs can be had later.

They can.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
They may take Nelson but it wont be at #2 in my opinion. Seriously doubt any team would take a guard with the 2nd pick. However, moving down to around 10, getting another 2nd rd selection and more, and then taking Nelson would be a great move

I'm good with this, and if Nelson and Fitzpatrick are both gone by the time were back on the board, if trade down again.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

I believe he played LT last season when Staley went down for 3 games and did a good job.
Share 49ersWebzone