LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Jeff Holland, EDGE, Auburn

Jeff Holland aka Sensei Mud

6'2" 250 lbs

8.5 sacks, 11.5 TFL so far on the season.

This guy is quietly becoming my favorite edge rusher in this upcoming draft. Carl Lawson was ER2 for me last year, and Holland shares a few of his important traits. He's not the physical tank that Lawson is, but Holland similarily wins with technique, toughness, effort, and most importantly, hands--heavy, technical and active hands. Holland has excellent hand technique. Lawson's influence is evident as Holland also uses clubs and hand swipes to keep to create space and finishes with his patented rip. I don't expect him to show out at the combine, but that's good for us because Holland is an edge-rushing beast. The biggest weaknesses I've observed are he doesn't convert speed to power and relies too much on the outside arc game. Needs an inside counter.

"Beat the hands, beat the man" is a timeless DL proverb. Holland is all about the hands.

Holland at the top of the screen. Nice get off. Beats the RT to his spot and hits 'em with a cross chop. Hands never stop firing to keep himself clean. Holland is not a bender, but he's not stiff, either. Good hip/ankle flexibility that allows him to keep his toes and torso pointed at the QB as he turns the corner. Would like to see him go power/inside in situations like this:

The RT short sets him here. He takes a speed track to the QB. Tackle tries to wash him out the hoop, but he wins with the rip and flattens straight to the QB.

Wax on, wax off! Holland looking like Mr. Miyagi with those hands. He consistently takes a tight track to the QB w/ lower-body bend and balance through contact.

We've seen the chops, clubs, swipes, rips, etc. Add long-arm technique to the arsenal list. I'm a firm believer that get off, hand usage(timing, placement, technique) and flatten ability(hip/ankle flexibility) are the three most critical pass-rushing attributes. Holland has all three.

[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 1, 2018 at 3:41 PM ]
Between dude and Ferrell for my ER1. Was gonna pm you to make a thread for this guy, but figures his time would come haha
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Between dude and Ferrell for my ER1. Was gonna pm you to make a thread for this guy, but figures his time would come haha

Great minds think alike!!
I'm dreaming here, but imagine this hero..

2019 defensive LOS

Demarcus Lawrence // Soloman Thomas // Dexter Lawrence // DeForest Buckner // Jeff Holland
I'm dreaming here, but imagine this hero..

2019 defensive LOS

Demarcus Lawrence // Soloman Thomas // Dexter Lawrence // DeForest Buckner // Jeff Holland

"Beat the hands, beat the man" is a timeless DL proverb. Holland is all about the hands.

Holland at the top of the screen. Nice get off. Beats the RT to his spot and hits 'em with a cross chop. Hands never stop firing to keep himself clean. Holland is not a bender, but he's not completely stiff, either. Good pliability in his hips/ankles.

The RT short sets him here and makes Holland pause(likely thought run set), but he's quick once he sees pass and takes a tight track to the qb. He wins with the rip and flattens straight to the QB.

Love Holland's hands.

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 24, 2018 at 11:20 AM ]
How Holland continues to fly under the radar is baffling. He just got his ninth sack of the season.

Wax on, wax off! Holland looking like Mr. Miyagi with those hands. He consistently takes a tight track to the QB w/ lower body bend and remaining balanced through contact.

[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 11, 2017 at 1:28 PM ]
Watching him now. If he stays where he is in terms of being under the radar, I'd love to get him around the same place Carl Lawson went, which would be an absolute steal.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Watching him now. If he stays where he is in terms of being under the radar, I'd love to get him around the same place Carl Lawson went, which would be an absolute steal.

Unfortunately, I think teams are kicking themselves for missing on Lawson. I see Holland as a very similar player (he says so himself.) He's not quite the physical freak, but we'd probably have to take him with our saints pick in the 2nd
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Unfortunately, I think teams are kicking themselves for missing on Lawson. I see Holland as a very similar player (he says so himself.) He's not quite the physical freak, but we'd probably have to take him with our saints pick in the 2nd

I can live with that. Especially if out number 1 turns into a top 10 number 1 + extra second + extra third, etc.

Braden Smith doesn't often get beat -- unless Jeff Holland is coming off the line, apparently.

According to defensive end Marlon Davidson, Holland routinely dominated Auburn offensive lineman, who is one of the top linemen in the nation, in practice throughout the offseason. Naturally, Holland's breakout campaign this fall has come as no surprise to many of his teammates.

"I knew it was coming before he even did," Davidson said. "Shoot, being able to practice with him, seeing his work ethic and how he's passionate about the game.... The next thing you know he's going out there against Braden and Austin Golson, and he used to kill them in practice, man. Just seeing that, I was like, 'Man, he's going to have a great year.'"

https://articles.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/11/jeff_holland_not_surprising_te.amp
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Nov 14, 2017 at 6:56 PM ]
I watched some of their beat down of Georgia and was impressed with him. Perfect for our SAM and 3rd down DE, hopefully his size will keep him out of the first round, but it will probably take a 2nd. I'm on board
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Nov 14, 2017 at 7:14 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I watched some of their beat down of Georgia and was impressed with him. Perfect for our SAM and 3rd down DE, hopefully his size will keep him out of the first round, but it will probably take a 2nd. I'm on board

This is my guy for that position as well. I'm thinking we can get him with our 2nd. Slight possibility we will have to move up.
We need to start fanning the Holland flames. He needs more love on here. A lot of people slept on Carl Lawson. Don't make the same mistake this year. Some of the best hands in the draft.

[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 6, 2017 at 8:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
We need to start fanning the Holland flames. He needs more love on here. A lot of people slept on Carl Lawson. Don't make the same mistake this year. Best hands in the draft.

I actually want him more than I did Lawson last year. Holland has the versatility to hold up against the run and would be a perfect fit at SAM for us. They are both great 3rd down pass rushers.
Share 49ersWebzone