LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Who ?

At this point it's really hard to ask "who". So many scenarios we would have to go through in order to have a clear answer. Hyde and Beathard will determine the future of niner football. They will determine if we will need to grab a qb or draft a stud in Barkley or if they both perform we could hope that a stud pass rusher emerges. After this season, it will be much clearer of what direction we go and I think it will be much more clearer than last years draft.
Other than the top 2 picks, this draft is starting to shape up to be one of the weakest I've seen in a long time IMO. There are some good players and even a few I think could be great (Baker Mayfield, Quentin Nelson, Christian Wilkinson), but there aren't a ton of players who get me very excited. Maybe that'll change over the next couple of months???
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Other than the top 2 picks, this draft is starting to shape up to be one of the weakest I've seen in a long time IMO. There are some good players and even a few I think could be great (Baker Mayfield, Quentin Nelson, Christian Wilkinson), but there aren't a ton of players who get me very excited. Maybe that'll change over the next couple of months???

That first part is wishful thinking. There's no one that gets me excited at the top of the draft period. I'm not excited about potentially using the #2 pick on a RB when we have no offensive line (even if Barkley is as good of a prospect as Elliott, that's not good enough to go top 5 in most drafts) and there are no elite QBs, WRs, LTs, CBs, or pass rushers in this class. This doesn't look like a good year to have a top draft pick.

I agree. After 1-3 players per position the quality takes a sharp nose dive.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

That first part is wishful thinking. There's no one that gets me excited at the top of the draft period. I'm not excited about potentially using the #2 pick on a RB when we have no offensive line (even if Barkley is as good of a prospect as Elliott, that's not good enough to go top 5 in most drafts) and there are no elite QBs, WRs, LTs, CBs, or pass rushers in this class. This doesn't look like a good year to have a top draft pick.

Barkley is better than Elliot.

Derwin James is another great prospect, but I can't get that excited about a safety.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Nov 4, 2017 at 8:06 AM ]
If they go OL in free agency, then Nelson goes out the window.

The QB's are definitely out of the question for now.

Pass rusher need to be an OLB type like Arden Key, not a Bradley Chubb DL.

RB will depend on whether they extend Hyde.

That leaves defensive backs or a WR. Who's worth a top 5 pick? No one I can think of right now. It's trade down time for another QB needy team.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Nov 6, 2017 at 4:00 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
If they go OL in free agency, then Nelson goes out the window.

The QB's are definitely out of the question for now.

Pass rusher need to be an OLB type like Arden Key, not a Bradley Chubb DL.

RB will depend on whether they extend Hyde.

That leaves defensive backs. Who's worth a top 5 pick? No one I can think of right now. It's trade down time for another QB needy team.

You basically hit the nail right on the head with everything you said, I'm hoping a team like the jets win a couple more games and feel like they won't get their guy at say 10 where they will be picking and give up a bunch of picks in a trade with the niners at 2-4..then I'd feel comfy with taking an ILB ( Smith or Jefferson ), WR ( I think Sutton and Ridley are going to rise up boards), or a DB (only one right now worth a top 10 pick in my eyes is Fitzpatrick but he's gone b4 10) assuming the O-Line is fixed in free agency, and Hyde is signed..after last night I'm on the Ronald Jones hype if he last until the 2nd if Hyde if not signed..
Well for a trade down we need these QB's to start playing better. As of now Darnold will probably head back to school, and I'm not convinced people will sell the farm for Rosen. This was talked about as a QB Mecca draft last year, but certainly isn't looking like it at the moment
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Well for a trade down we need these QB's to start playing better. As of now Darnold will probably head back to school, and I'm not convinced people will sell the farm for Rosen. This was talked about as a QB Mecca draft last year, but certainly isn't looking like it at the moment

That's true but this year you have guys like Rosen, Jackson, Darnold Allen Mayfield Rudolph. Every year a few get hyped up and drafted early. But if we had the 1st pick no doubt we'd still get a good amount in a trade
Originally posted by DJamhour:

That's true but this year you have guys like Rosen, Jackson, Darnold Allen Mayfield Rudolph. Every year a few get hyped up and drafted early. But if we had the 1st pick no doubt we'd still get a good amount in a trade

I think Rosen-Jax go 1-2. Itll be Luck/RG3 2.0 hopefully we get lucky and come up with being able to do another mini trade down, this time getting sweeter compensation. Lets all pray we have our man in Jimmy G-Baby.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Nov 10, 2017 at 2:59 AM ]

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by DJamhour:

I think Rosen-Jax go 1-2. Itll be Luck/RG3 2.0 hopefully we get lucky and come up with being able to do another mini trade down, this time getting sweeter compensation. Lets all pray we have our man in Jimmy G-Baby.

This is the most important. Without him being our FQb we're just as bad as the Browns and without as many early picks. The best thing for us to happen is Jimmy shows he's actually our FQB and plays like it. But we also somehow get the 1st overall pick. That happens and first year of the rebuild is huge win for me.
Share 49ersWebzone