There are 189 users in the forums

Will Hernandez, LG, UTEP, 6'3 330 Lbs

Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
"Moving inside, the best guard coming into this week was UTEP's Will Hernandez, and he put his power on display. Weighing in at 340 pounds, Hernandez has a framed completely maximized. He gave up zero inches all day and pushed back any defender lined up across from him. He was the one guy who got audible "wows" from scouts and fans alike, including myself."
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/1/24/16926278/2018-senior-bowl-bengals-bill-lazor-teryl-austin-practice-offensive-line

I'll post this here as well.

Honestly I want to see him get out in the second level and block out in space. Dude is a unmovable object and it showed in one-on-ones. Just want to see if he can fit our scheme. Not sure he can.

I've realiy started likening Bozeman think he's have a good week so far
Hernandez gets dinged for his size but he moves well enough, just like Nelson he can slide and reach block at a very high standard. That is just as important as flat out running in our scheme.

Also like Nelson he is much more valuable to a team running a power scheme so I can't see us drafting him before another team does.
Niners met with him.
The big enchilada got put through the blender.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Niners met with him.

He's a big, nasty mauler. Not sure how he would fit into our scheme but this kid can move some people.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
He's a big, nasty mauler. Not sure how he would fit into our scheme but this kid can move some people.

They might be looking at more of a balance between inside and outside zone. I believe the Falcons met with Josh Garnett two years ago as well. With Kyle being a guy who seemingly isnt content to remain static, they very well could be open to some bigger guards, particularly since a major weakness of the run scheme has been short distance and goalline situations.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Niners met with him.

Let's not forget that Shanny traded for Tomlinson who is slow af. He's opening up to bigger guards.
I swear I remember Kyle in ATL(or maybe it was Cleveland) saying something along the lines of wanting big guys that can move, but that he wasn't the one picking the players.

Unfortunately, I can't find the video. Maybe I'm conflating him with someone else.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Let's not forget that Shanny traded for Tomlinson who is slow af. He's opening up to bigger guards.

This. I don't think its reasonable to expect Kyle to run his offense the exact same way Mike did. The best coaches are those who are open to change and willing to adapt their approach. The ones that are overly dogmatic rapidly get figured out.

I don't expect them to draft Hernandez or even Nelson but bigger guards with plus movement skills like those two come with a lot of advantages and added versatility, giving the offense the ability to feature more power looks.

• thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
I swear I remember Kyle in ATL(or maybe it was Cleveland) saying something along the lines of wanting big guys that can move, but that he wasn't the one picking the players.

Unfortunately, I can't find the video. Maybe I'm conflating him with someone else.

Maybe this interview?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/falcons-shanahan-brings-zone-scheme-line/NSgbHxxQXVxcYYS8bZSQmJ/
"You need to be able to run," Shanahan said. "It's not necessarily always the 40. You need quickness. I had some bigger guys in Cleveland that I did in Washington and there were some pluses to it and some minuses. Everyone wants a huge player who can run faster than everyone else. Until they allow me to spend top pick on linemen five years in a row that's not going to happen. You have to find other ways to get by."
Originally posted by thl408:
Maybe this interview?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/falcons-shanahan-brings-zone-scheme-line/NSgbHxxQXVxcYYS8bZSQmJ/
"You need to be able to run," Shanahan said. "It's not necessarily always the 40. You need quickness. I had some bigger guys in Cleveland that I did in Washington and there were some pluses to it and some minuses. Everyone wants a huge player who can run faster than everyone else. Until they allow me to spend top pick on linemen five years in a row that's not going to happen. You have to find other ways to get by."

I think that's it.

Shanny is going to love Quenton Nelson.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 30, 2018 at 9:37 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Maybe this interview?

i remember that quote. lol im sure he would salivate for a line similar to dallas. If Nelson runs a 40 under 5 seconds than kyle would want him in a heartbeat
Originally posted by gold49digger:
i remember that quote. lol im sure he would salivate for a line similar to dallas. If Nelson runs a 40 under 5 seconds than kyle would want him in a heartbeat

If Nelson runs a 40 under 5 seconds then he is gone before the 49ers ever have a crack at him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

If Nelson runs a 40 under 5 seconds then he is gone before the 49ers ever have a crack at him.

This he's not making it to us if that happens
Share 49ersWebzone