LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

Originally posted by 9moon:
We got FOSTER late, didn't we?

It could happen, that's why I say IF he's there, then MOVE UP..

Big difference with Foster who had injury and off the field concerns.
Originally posted by Heroism:
15. Washington Redskins: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
Washington's roster is pretty balanced, meaning that (Cousins permitting) they won't have to force anything here. Smith has a chance to be a great NFL player.

#15 in Albert Breer's most recent mock, but I think he has a chance to go much higher. Wait until teams put on the tape and meet with him. They're going to fall in love with Roquan. Call me crazy, but I think he's a top-5 player in this draft.

Him and Froster playing together on the same defense would be bananas. Smith is everything you want in a weakside linebacker in this defense and then some.

"Roquan needs no comparison. He is a great leader," Smart said. "He has done wonders for our defense because he is a student of the game, but more importantly, he helps lead those guys. He did not get to go through spring practice, which was really hard on him. He wanted to be out there leading, he wanted to be part of that defense. Because of a shoulder injury, he was unable to do that.
"But he was in every meeting, he was at every practice. He got behind the offense and took his footwork steps. He is a unique kid that I think is very special. We are very fired up to have him."
The 6-foot-1, 230-pound defender had 95 total tackles, five tackles for a loss, three quarterback hurries and two forced fumbles in 13 games a sophomore, his first season as a starter.

https://georgia.247sports.com/Bolt/Roquan-Smith-draws-impressive-comparison-70387295
I literally feel unless we sign Lawrence... Its just not gonna happen.
Sounds sweet dont get me wrong.
I'm on board
His defense is getting blown out by Auburn
Roquan and Georgia are not having a good day.
How high can Georgia LB Roquan Smith climb?

In what is expected to be a very solid off-ball linebacker class, Georgia's Roquan Smith might be the best of the bunch. His IQ, pursuit and closing speed are extremely impressive, especially for an underclassman.

The biggest question surrounding Smith is his size. While he's listed at 6-1, 225 pounds, I've been told he's currently playing around 6-0, 215 pounds. The good news for the standout Georgia linebacker is that he will have plenty of time to put on weight before the NFL Combine, where he should flourish in the testing and climb up boards. He's a top-25 player who should easily go in the first 40 picks.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl-draft-spotlight-examining-top-storylines-from-cfb-week-11/

That's a lot smaller than he looks on TV. It will impact his draft stock for most teams who aren't looking for those smaller LBs. That's good for us, though. Maybe he falls to the late first, and we can package our second to move and grab him like we did Reuben.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 13, 2017 at 2:31 PM ]
How did Roquan look vs. Auburn? I heard Auburn took it to Georgia...didn't see the game and am curious how he looked to those who watched him closely.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
How did Roquan look vs. Auburn? I heard Auburn took it to Georgia...didn't see the game and am curious how he looked to those who watched him closely.
Georgia no longer #1 but Roquan Smith still #1 LB

Auburn ran for 237 yards but don't blame that on Roquan Smith because this was another great individual performance. His speed to meet ball carriers on the sideline is superb. Even against a jet sweep runner who had momentum behind him, Smith flew to the sideline to beat the runner there and then broke down enough to make the tackle without over running the play.
Later in the game, he ran through a TE's block and still made it to the sideline in time to tackle the WR catching in the flats.
Play after play, he proved that he has the speed to be a sideline to sideline enforcer. He also has great instincts. He was the only defensive player to recognize a reverse and quickly attacked to cause pressure on the reverse runner. He was all over the field. He even deflected a pass with one hand at the back pylon of the end zone while covering a crossing route. He is making a great argument to be the #1 LB of this class based on his consistent open field tackling, sideline to sideline speed, and ability to cover against the pass.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/dixon-l-auburn-v-georgia-5-scouting-takeaways/
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Georgia no longer #1 but Roquan Smith still #1 LB

Auburn ran for 237 yards but don't blame that on Roquan Smith because this was another great individual performance. His speed to meet ball carriers on the sideline is superb. Even against a jet sweep runner who had momentum behind him, Smith flew to the sideline to beat the runner there and then broke down enough to make the tackle without over running the play.
Later in the game, he ran through a TE's block and still made it to the sideline in time to tackle the WR catching in the flats.
Play after play, he proved that he has the speed to be a sideline to sideline enforcer. He also has great instincts. He was the only defensive player to recognize a reverse and quickly attacked to cause pressure on the reverse runner. He was all over the field. He even deflected a pass with one hand at the back pylon of the end zone while covering a crossing route. He is making a great argument to be the #1 LB of this class based on his consistent open field tackling, sideline to sideline speed, and ability to cover against the pass.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/dixon-l-auburn-v-georgia-5-scouting-takeaways/

This is great info - thank you! I can only imagine what the Niners' LB corp would be like with Foster and Roquan playing together and making plays all over the field.

Feel like we need a beefier LB around 240+. Foster and this kid are amazing but smaller. Need to have balance.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Feel like we need a beefier LB around 240+. Foster and this kid are amazing but smaller. Need to have balance.

The strong safety in this scheme is essentially another LB on most plays. That's how they get away with having smaller, athletic LBs.

Besides, these dudes are not done growing. Foster is already in the 230's.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

The strong safety in this scheme is essentially another LB on most plays. That's how they get away with having smaller, athletic LBs.

Besides, these dudes are not done growing. Foster is already in the 230's.

This is a weak class. A few are good, the rest are very meh.
What yall think about Zach Brown and Malcolm Smith backs up WILL/MLB?
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
What yall think about Zach Brown and Malcolm Smith backs up WILL/MLB?

Higher payed back ups than starters. Interesting
Share 49ersWebzone