LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

Originally posted by GMniner805:
Anyone else think maybe Roquan thought he was going to SF wearing that red tie?? He didn't look too thrilled when the Bears snagged him, I believe he would've been the pick at 9.

Nah -- representing colors of his alma mater? If he thought he was going to SF he would have worn a gold tie :)
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
One of the dumbest or "strangest " holdouts I've seen in quite some time.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:

The bears are at fault as much as he is.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

How so? He doesn't want to lose money because of a new rule no one is sure how it will be implemented. It is a smart hold out. Bears are idiots on this one.
Originally posted by Jcool:
How so? He doesn't want to lose money because of a new rule no one is sure how it will be implemented. It is a smart hold out. Bears are idiots on this one.

This. The Bears are being utterly absurd with their conditions. More and more it seems like their GM is well in over his head.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I thought it was implied that I was referring to the Bears with my post.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This. The Bears are being utterly absurd with their conditions. More and more it seems like their GM is well in over his head.

The bears have conceded on that rule weeks ago, the agents then came back with additional demands in regard to suspensions. My understanding is that they are seeking details in the contract that protect him from all on field suspensions, and some off field suspensions. At this point it is the agents trying to set precedence.
Still holding out?

Supposedly bears always take care of their players fines but they just don't want it in writing since they never have done it. But they gotta get with the times. Different rules now.

I don't blame smith at all. He seems like a good dude with a good head on his shoulders so he wouldn't have to worry about bears not compensating him. But still, nothing is ever for sure. He's gotta cover his ass and protect his money.

They probably wanna keep it off paper in case they ever get a burfict type player that they might not wanna compensate. In penalties. Once it's on paper, every future player will point to it as an example on why they should have it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

Supposedly bears always take care of their players fines but they just don't want it in writing since they never have done it. But they gotta get with the times. Different rules now.

I don't blame smith at all. He seems like a good dude with a good head on his shoulders so he wouldn't have to worry about bears not compensating him. But still, nothing is ever for sure. He's gotta cover his ass and protect his money.

They probably wanna keep it off paper in case they ever get a burfict type player that they might not wanna compensate. In penalties. Once it's on paper, every future player will point to it as an example on why they should have it.

A lot of agents want to break new ground on the pro-player side. Hence they will come up with all kinds of new stuff even though they know it will never fly. It makes them look good to a new player and they get another meal ticket.

He needs to sign already.
Originally posted by 49erWill:

Why? Literally no impact for our team. Here's hoping he, Mack and Donald all sit out the season.

It won't happen but considering all of our injuries and issues I'm not rooting for other teams to get better. Not rooting for injuries but if they have some contentious contract situations I'm ok with it.
Originally posted by genus49:

Why? Literally no impact for our team. Here's hoping he, Mack and Donald all sit out the season.

It won't happen but considering all of our injuries and issues I'm not rooting for other teams to get better. Not rooting for injuries but if they have some contentious contract situations I'm ok with it.

I'm rooting for good competition. If you want a non competitive league I suggest the NBA
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

I'm rooting for good competition. If you want a non competitive league I suggest the NBA

Lol

I hope he sits out, goes back into the draft and the 49ers take him with a mid to late 1st rounder and have the fastest LB corps in the NFL. Yeah, suck it McVay!

#KeepTheDreamAliveRoquanIn19

Share 49ersWebzone