LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 202 users in the forums

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I like Roquan Smith alot and would be fine with taking another linebacker. If this weekend showed anything, it's that this defense needs two inside backers that can cover. Another option outside of the draft would be Telvin Smith if he makes it to free agency. There are preliminary reports I've seen that the Jags may let him walk. He's got great familiarity with the scheme and with Saleh.

I still like Zach Brown totally fine with Smith in the 2nd if he's around, tho, depending on what we did in FA
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
How good of a front 7 could

Harold Landry, Soloman Thomas, Earl Mitchell, DeForest Buckner

Roquan Smith, Rueben Foster, Porter Gustin

be?

I like Roquan Smith alot and would be fine with taking another linebacker. If this weekend showed anything, it's that this defense needs two inside backers that can cover. Another option outside of the draft would be Telvin Smith if he makes it to free agency. There are preliminary reports I've seen that the Jags may let him walk. He's got great familiarity with the scheme and with Saleh.

that would be interesting
The more and more I see of this guy, the more I love him. The dude is a freaking missle in the middle of the field. The instincts, athleticism and physicality are all there. He's a perfect WILL and would form an extremely talented duo with Foster.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Oct 31, 2017 at 5:53 AM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
With needs at WR, C/OG, DB, and TE I don't want to burn the picks on a trade up.

Trade back, draft Smith, Ragnow, sign Sammy Watkins or Jarvis Landry.
Was gonna post some gifs but I can't get them to upload. He always seems to keep his eyes on the ball and reacts accordingly. He keeps his awareness in run support, fights through the blocks and will close fast on the ball.
The more and more I see of this guy, the more I love him. The dude is a freaking missle in the middle of the field. The instincts, athleticism and physicality are all there. He's a perfect WILL and would form an extremely talented duo with Foster.

Dude is the real deal. Once people sit down and watch his tape, his stock will skyrocket. This guy is the best LB in the draft.

Dude is the real deal. Once people sit down and watch his tape, his stock will skyrocket. This guy is the best LB in the draft.

Right now one of the top five prospects in the entire draft for me. He's... that...good.
Isn't he redundant to Foster? Don't we need a beefier backer for the mike as well?
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Isn't he redundant to Foster? Don't we need a beefier backer for the mike as well?

They're committed to Reuben at mike LB. Roquan is a perfect fit at will. I like Roquan Smith A LOT more than Reuben Foster coming out of college. This guy is going to be an impact player at the NFL level.

Reuben and Roquan would be two fast and physical hunting dogs in the middle of our defense.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 31, 2017 at 3:38 PM ]

They're committed to Reuben at mike LB. Roquan is a perfect fit at will. I like Roquan Smith A LOT more than Reuben Foster coming out of college. This guy is going to be an impact player at the NFL level.

Reuben and Roquan would be two fast and physical hunting dogs in the middle of our defense.

You can never have too many good linebackers. Seems like every year we start PS linebackers and SS at MLB.

Foster has beefed up to 235 and Lynch is on record saying that Foster is envisioned as the MIKE. In Roquan you get another fast, physical, athletically gifted linebacker. If anything he and Reuben compliment each other well. You get two sideline to sideline roamers. This is never a bad thing. Roquan is a great fit for the WILL in this defense.

Foster has beefed up to 235 and Lynch is on record saying that Foster is envisioned as the MIKE. In Roquan you get another fast, physical, athletically gifted linebacker. If anything he and Reuben compliment each other well. You get two sideline to sideline roamers. This is never a bad thing. Roquan is a great fit for the WILL in this defense.

Thanks. I feel a lot of us want the Willis/bowman years back, but I'm happy to have one pro bowler and realize we were fortunate to have such a sick linebacker corps for a few years there.

So far Foster has done s**t, but be hurt. Hopefully he pans out.
One of the popular ways to attack the 'Seattle cover 3' style of defense is with a dink-and-dunk strategy that focuses on quick-rhythm throws to WR+RBs in the short and intermediate areas. This is the area Saleh calls the "kill zone" because it's imperative they kill everything in that area. It's the main reason why athletic inside LBs that can cover space are necessary. The two ILBs have to be able to cover grass and keep everything within the kill zone to eliminate YAC.

This is the type of stuff they love from prospect LBs. Not just athleticism but awareness in zone coverage. Roquan keys in on the forthcoming crosser before it develops. He gets wide, clicks and closes with a textbook tackle.

Updated gif link
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 26, 2018 at 2:17 PM ]
So where do yall think he winds up... Late teens?
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
So where do yall think he winds up... Late teens?

Mid teens
Share 49ersWebzone