There are 281 users in the forums

Saquon Barkley

Shop 49ers game tickets
Lets get Rosens #1...then trade back up for Barkley
You can make an argument for other positions that are a little more glaring than running back but this guy is a fantastic football player. Rebuilding teams need all the playmakers it can get. The guy is a perfect fit for this scheme and has immediate playmaker written all over him. I think you'd have to consider him.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

This guy looks like he'll go in the top 10.

Barkley will go Top 10 easy, most likely Top 5. Right now I see him as the best player in the draft. You're not getting both him and Rosen.
If we sign say Richburg and Pugh (impossible) then I'm good with Rosen and giving up the entire rest of our draft for Barkley haha (also impossible)
I'm all aboard drafting Barkley and signing Cousins.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Barkley will go Top 10 easy, most likely Top 5. Right now I see him as the best player in the draft. You're not getting both him and Rosen.

We can dream though
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yeah, a pipe dream indeed
Originally posted by gold49digger:
We can dream though

Yes we can!
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:

I mean....i love Rosen but if the 49ers have no shot of drafting him, then this is a damn good idea and a damn good dream scenario to have. However, the 49ers need to address their interior line with two impact FA and then they should draft another tackle in the 3rd round. (as a swing tackle and a heir apparent to Staley)

Originally posted by tjd808185:
I'd tag Hyde anyways opposed to extending him. RB's come and go. Barkley has to be considered if he's on the board.

This is a good idea. I never thought about tagging Hyde. Him and this rookie would be a lethal weapon.
Sign Cousins Qb
hyde sucks always hurt.
Draft Barkley 1rd
2nd Rd pick A Wr, 2nd Rd pick B DE
3rd Rd pick A OG, 3rd Rd pick B cb.

He's a future pro bowl running back look look at those moves looks like Barry sanders reincarnated. 5'11" 232 lbs that's a rb. 4.37 40 yard dash.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Yeah I get Barkley is freaking amazing. Been impressed since his first year. But we have a legit top 5 RB when healthy.

keyword when healthy, hyde has no vision try to run everyone over and he ends up getting hurt. Let him walk and Draft a future problem running back
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Yeah I get Barkley is freaking amazing. Been impressed since his first year. But we have a legit top 5 RB when healthy.

keyword when healthy, hyde has no vision try to run everyone over and he ends up getting hurt. Let him walk and Draft a future problem running back
Saquon Barkley Is the Future of the NFL

The Titans, built sturdy and tough up front, rushed for 195 yards on the vaunted Seahawks defense on Sunday. The Ravens spent the last two offseason getting younger and quicker on defense, and that group kept the Bengals and Browns out of the end zone in Weeks 1 and 2. Then in London, a Jaguars offense reworked this offseason with size in mind ran for 166 yards on them.

This is how the NFL works. Teams spent the last decade building around quarterbacks and receivers, and defenses are now stocked with 220-pound linebackers and 250-pound pass rushers. And now we're getting the zig to that zag—personnel czars like Jacksonville's Tom Coughlin and Tennessee's Jon Robinson capitalized by building jackhammer offenses to run at those defenses, while creating better environments for their young QBs.

"That's been going on since the 1970s," said one NFC personnel exec. "It's not a new trend, it's the same cycle. New people rise in the football world, history repeats itself."

Enter Saquon Barkley. In the four drafts between 2011 and '14, only one running back, Alabama's Trent Richardson, went in the top half of the first round. In the last three drafts, five tailbacks—Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey—have gone within the top 16 picks. And Barkley might be better than any of them.

Moreover, he's coming along at the right time. Teams are considering retro looks offensively, which can prop up young quarterbacks, help the defense, and exploit opponents built to combat high-end passing attacks. So where the value of running backs may have recently declined, it seems now demand for a 230-pound, three-down, 21st-century style bellcow, a la Elliott or Joe Mixon, is on the rise.

"You can build an offense around him," said one AFC exec of Barkley. "He's so f---ing good. Zeke is solid in all areas. Fournette is a special athlete for the position. This kid? He's way better than both of them . . . He's a step above Zeke in all categories, and has much better hands and feet and vision than Fournette does. He's special. I haven't seen a better college football player."

"When I first saw Zeke, it was his explosion from the line to the second level that was rare, and Saquon's is probably a little better," said another NFC personnel director. "There's something different about this guy, he has rare things about him—his explosion, his balance, his vision, his ability to cut laterally. Someone hits him and he lands on his feet. And he's tougher than s---. He steps up in pass protection."

What we all saw on Saturday, in a game that Penn State seemed to be in the process of blowing at Iowa, was the virtual trailer to what Barkley could be at the next level. He ripped through the Hawkeyes defense for 211 yards and a touchdown on 28 carries, and caught 12 balls for 94 yards, and returned for three kicks for 53 yards. His fourth-quarter hurdle of Iowa corner Josh Jackson to convert a third-and-6 was a moment you'll see replayed a ton in March and April. There wasn't a moment when there was any doubt who the best player on the field was.

So there's a better than good chance that there will an NFL offense built around the true junior at this time next year, the same way Elliott had an offense built around him as a rookie last year. That Barkley could be better than the league's reigning rushing champion makes this one even more interesting. And how a retro-minded team might view him as a true centerpiece adds another layer.

"If you look you at it from our perspective, the ideal back today has to be able to do everything," said an AFC college scouting director. "There's not great value in the first- and second-down back anymore, or a guy who's just a third-down scatback. You want a guy who does everything. And that's Zeke, it's Mixon, and it's Saquon Barkley."

The last time a running back went first overall was in 1995, and it was another Penn State Nittany Lion: Ki-Jana Carter. The quarterbacks will almost certainly prevent Barkley from breaking that drought. But after that? His wait won't be long.
Share 49ersWebzone