LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Hercules Mata' Afa DE Washington State

NFL Media's Chad Reuter highlighted Washington State redshirt junior DE Hercules Mata'afa's "initial quickness ... hustle and physical play."

Earlier this month, USC HC Clay Helton referred to the 6-foot-2, 252-pounder Mata'afa as a "tackle-for-loss nightmare." And that about says it. The undersized lineman boasts 12.0 TFL and 6.5 sacks in only five games. Through two-and-a-half years of eligibility, he already has 35.0 TFL and 17.0 sacks. There's a strong case to be made that he's been Wazzu's best player the past few seasons.
Source: NFL.com Oct 18 - 8:02 PM
No more DE / DT tweeners. Need a pure DE.

Interesting prospect, but we don't want another Solomon Thomas.
"It is fitting that such a monumental task was accomplished by a player named Hercules. It was truly an epic defensive performance by the 6'2", 250 pound defensive lineman to shut down the most explosive runner (Love) in college football. Mata'afa was constantly disrupting the line of scrimmage, hitting runners in the backfield or at the line and creating opportunities for his teammates to swarm Stanford's offense.

Mata'afa is a unique player because Washington State deploys his athleticism all over their defensive line. Even as a 250 pound player, he can often be seen lining up inside at tackle just so he can explode through the line of scrimmage to attack the ball carrier. He is a bit inconsistent, but his talent is undeniable. Already, Mata'afa is up to an incredible 16.5 tackles for a loss this season, including 6.5 sacks. Both of these figures surpass his season total from last year."

Think he is more 2nd round as a LEO
So is this guy a SAM ? LEO? neither? Can someone smart give a scouting report please? If he can play those 2 positions, would love to try and grab him in early 2nd if they can trade back.
5 tackles for loss (8 overall) and 3 sacks vs Utah
Dude has a crazy get off, and he already basically uses edge rush technique when he rushes from the 3. He'd need to cut the edges a little sharper from the end position, but that's not as big an adjustment as changing the moves he'd have to use (an issue many players face when moving outside). He's not always the most instinctive or observant guy in the run game, but he's strong and his effort is great. Combining that with his get off (SOOOOOO quick) makes up for his pedestrian H/W profile, imo.
Might be a good SAM candidate... I rather go with someone with more speed and bend doe. Someone that can rush from the elephant in nickel.
230 lbs?

Originally posted by Heroism:
230 lbs?

Kind of reminds me of a more explosive Teddy Bruschi. I think he would look good strong side edge rushing
If the reported weight is accurate, he's built more like a ILB in our scheme. 230 lbs is too small to be a SAM/edge rusher.

If the reported weight is accurate, he's built more like a ILB in our scheme. 230 lbs is too small to be a SAM/edge rusher.

Beasley is 236 but guessing Herc isnt ideal to be thrown in coverage?
I've been keeping away from this thread, but Mata'afa is a big-time draft crush of mine. I need this guy to be at least 6'2" 245 lbs at the combine and put up electric numbers in the 3-cone and short shuttle that match his tape. He's right there with Jeff Holland as one of my favorite edge players in this draft. His motor and explosiveness are special. No edge rusher has the short-area quickness that Mata'afa has.

One of the difficulties with evaluating Mata'afa is that sparsely played edge, which is his NFL position, but when he did play there, the edge talent jumps off the screen. Dipping and ripping with easy bend--in both his hips and ankles--to run the hoop for Mata'afa. Toes point right at the QB once he's got the corner:

Active hands, easy-bend, and ability to flatten. ✅✅✅ A little hand swipe+swim combo to beat the tackle's punch, create space and capture the edge:

[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 6, 2018 at 12:26 PM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Dude has a crazy get off, and he already basically uses edge rush technique when he rushes from the 3. He'd need to cut the edges a little sharper from the end position, but that's not as big an adjustment as changing the moves he'd have to use (an issue many players face when moving outside). He's not always the most instinctive or observant guy in the run game, but he's strong and his effort is great. Combining that with his get off (SOOOOOO quick) makes up for his pedestrian H/W profile, imo.

Here's some get off lol...how do you not block him here?
I've been keeping away from this thread, but Mata'afa is a big-time draft crush of mine. I need this guy to be at least 6'2" 245 lbs at the combine and put up electric numbers in the 3-cone and short shuttle that match his tape. He's right there with Jeff Holland as one of my favorite edge players in this draft. His motor and explosiveness are special. No edge rusher has the short-area quickness that Mata'afa has.

One of the difficulties with evaluating Mata'afa is that sparsely played edge, which is his NFL position, but when he did play there, the edge talent jumps off the screen. Dipping and ripping with easy bend--in both his hips and ankles--to run the hoop for Mata'afa. Toes point right at the QB once he's got the corner:

Active hands, easy-bend, and ability to flatten. ✅✅✅ A little hand swipe+swim combo to beat the tackle's punch, create space and capture the edge:

There's so much edge rush talent in this draft makes me want to trade down and grab some extra picks.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 6, 2018 at 12:57 PM ]
I love this kid. Love watching any video I can on him. He'd be the perfect end if he had a few inches and about 30lbs. I don't see how he can play end in the NFL at his size.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 7, 2018 at 12:15 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone